Fuel lines by Catalytic Converter quick question! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
07908B5A-205E-495D-98A5-114F510096F0.jpeg

Picture is at driver’s side catalytic converter.

Maybe I’m just tired and overthinking this but are the fuel lines the 2 hard-lines into rubber above the cat? Or the bunch of 4 hard lines to the left?

Been having pressure in the tank/boiling gas issues since I got to Moab. I have looked through a bunch of other threads but can’t do much while on vacation. Going to try to temporarily heat shield the fuel lines for now as I’m also heading to Ouray Colorado (even higher elevation)

View attachment 3370976

Picture is at driver’s side catalytic converter.

Maybe I’m just tired and overthinking this but are the fuel lines the 2 hard-lines into rubber above the cat? Or the bunch of 4 hard lines to the left?

Been having pressure in the tank/boiling gas issues since I got to Moab. I have looked through a bunch of other threads but can’t do much while on vacation. Going to try to temporarily heat shield the fuel lines for now as I’m also heading to Ouray Colorado (even higher elevation)
I'm not 100% sure but I believe the lines above the cat are for your rear heater core under driver seat. The other ones off to the side fuel, maybe? Idk....should be able to follow the lines and get a better idea of where they go.... I will say that I bought some sticky heat tape wrap stuff and just wrapped whatever I could in that area. It sort of held up, peeling in some areas.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the lines above the cat are for your rear heater core under driver seat. The other ones off to the side fuel, maybe? Idk....should be able to follow the lines and get a better idea of where they go.... I will say that I bought some sticky heat tape wrap stuff and just wrapped whatever I could in that area. It sort of held up, peeling in some areas.
Yeah it’s hard to tell because of the gas tank skid. Don’t have a lot of material and don’t want to wrap the wrong thing.

I have some of that but was also able to buy a roll of header wrap which I plan to wrap the lines in also. I’ve used it before on a turbo manifold and it worked great. Never used it as a heat barrier from the exhaust though

Yeah it’s hard to tell because of the gas tank skid. Don’t have a lot of material and don’t want to wrap the wrong thing.

I have some of that but was also able to buy a roll of header wrap which I plan to wrap the lines in also. I’ve used it before on a turbo manifold and it worked great. Never used it as a heat barrier from the exhaust though
Gotcha, well there are only so many lines going back there. Fuel, heater core, and brakes. Should be able to narrow it down, unless I am missing something else?

Been noticing some pressure build up in the gas tank. Every time I take the cap off, I can hear the tank venting loudly.
Following others footsteps, I added some embossed aluminum sheet around the cat converters. The idea is to protect the fuel return line from the heat emanating from cats.
Amazon product ASIN B0BX4MPWTG
Also, insulated the part of gas tank that is adjacent to the exhaust in hoped of reducing the fuel temps.
Amazon product ASIN B000E243AW
Final step is to cover the fuel lines near engine with this type of insulation:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BDWFGDLK
View attachment 3348477View attachment 3348478View attachment 3348480
This is from Jalopys thread, recent but he’s had some success. Not sure if he’s exposed to the heat you southerns see.

Fuel heats up because the injector rail is inside the engine and the temperature inside the engine bay can get as hot as 90 C (thermostat opens at 82C). This heating of fuel is common on when driven slowly or parked, while AC is on.

This is from Jalopys thread, recent but he’s had some success. Not sure if he’s exposed to the heat you southerns see.
Gotcha, well there are only so many lines going back there. Fuel, heater core, and brakes. Should be able to narrow it down, unless I am missing something else?

I’m 99.9% sure it’s the group of 4 lines (supply and return). I wrapped them with heat wrap tape from the tank as far forward as where they extend up into the engine bay so we will see if that helps.

I’m actually just visiting Moab, I’m from Seattle and have never had this issue there. I was just up on a mountain pass before I came here. But it was like 80 out and the pass elevation is only 3K feet
47131420-8204-4CEA-8E84-F6EAC9BF3252.jpeg
1BDBEA97-EEE0-4B6D-8E27-EBC216F65AB8.jpeg

The hard pipes that go to rubber above the cat are the rear heater lines. The small hardline on the frame next to your U-bolt is the brake line. The lines you wrapped I believe are fuel so you should be all set.

I’m 99.9% sure it’s the group of 4 lines (supply and return). I wrapped them with heat wrap tape from the tank as far forward as where they extend up into the engine bay so we will see if that helps.

I’m actually just visiting Moab, I’m from Seattle and have never had this issue there. I was just up on a mountain pass before I came here. But it was like 80 out and the pass elevation is only 3K feet View attachment 3371484View attachment 3371485
What kind of wrap is this ?

Any of you that are boiling fuel, watching and logging actual ECT (engine coolant temperature) & fuel trims? What are you seeing/logging?
Those that add extra heat shield. What are your before and after ECT & FT numbers?

Any of you that are boiling fuel, watching and logging actual ECT (engine coolant temperature) & fuel trims? What are you seeing/logging?
Those that add extra heat shield. What are your before and after ECT & FT numbers?

Haven’t logged any of that, I’m on vacation and the truck has never had this issue before. I had this truck in Moab last year with no issues but that was in April. It’s 20 - 30 degrees hotter here this time in July.

On a side note I drove up to Oowah Lake just out of Moab the other day at 8,800 feet and no issues. It was 72 degrees up there though while down in Moab was 95 degrees

I’m actually just visiting Moab, I’m from Seattle and have never had this issue there. I was just up on a mountain pass before I came here. But it was like 80 out and the pass elevation is only 3K feet View attachment 3371484View attachment 3371485

Please keep us posted, this would be next step on my truck too, but I am worried about salt finding it's way to the wrapped pipes and then corroding the gas lines. That was the issue with my old Honda that had gas lines run under the floor in a plastic conduit!

Please keep us posted, this would be next step on my truck too, but I am worried about salt finding it's way to the wrapped pipes and then corroding the gas lines. That was the issue with my old Honda that had gas lines run under the floor in a plastic conduit!

I will update this thread over the next day or two. Tomorrow I’m headed over Geyser Pass (10.5K feet) into Colorado and will be traveling Ouray/Telluride area for a week. Temperatures will be much cooler there but altitudes higher.

I’m not too worried about salt. We live in Seattle area and luckily heavy salting is not a thing there.

smartest typer in the room.

Fuel heats up because the injector rail is inside the engine and the temperature inside the engine bay can get as hot as 90 C (thermostat opens at 82C). This heating of fuel is common on when driven slowly or parked, while AC is on.
just point a temp gun at one of your fuel rails, if it's +150 F or +55 F over ambient, you're going to hit the wall soon.
the lowest of the low in spec coolant temp and the highest of high fuel trim above the check engine light threshold is going to amount to jack on the fuel temp in the rails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom