carrying birfs on the trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
when you all carry spare birfs, are carrying the whole axle or just the bells.
complete would be easier to change,but as far as space is concerned.

comments...... ;)

Carry a single outer and a se of inner shafts. It is much easier to store birfs and shafts seperate..

I carry one set of stocks befora I make the upgrade to Newfield fron set .. right now carry 2 sets of bierf and inner axles .. but is not for me .. ( I hope !!! ) I never think in do this change in the trail ..

i have a few if anyone is interested. "birfs still with inners". sorry to hack 2badfjs...

but i carry them still togther. you wont think pain in the ass, till you have to get yur old brifs off the shafts on the trail. i bet keeping them together would save hella time.

I keep one bell and two inners, all greased, wrapped in plastic, inside the rear cargo sections in the back of the truck.

I carry two. Complete units IN greese wrapped in saran wrap.

Exiled said:
I keep one bell and two inners, all greased, wrapped in plastic, inside the rear cargo sections in the back of the truck.

ypu don't carry 2 Birf . ? I thought is much easy broke Birf than inner axle ..

For the kind of wheeling I do, and lacking a front locker, I never needed to carry two. In fact, I've only ever broken one birfield, on Golden Spike in Moab (cracked, not grenaded).

I guess now that I have a front locker I might carry two, but I also upgraded to the *bling* 30-spline Longfields with the cro-mo inners, I don't anticipate much breakage, especially since I don't plan on doing anything insane with this truck (gotta drive back).

sorry to hijack....

How heavy is the birf bell?

One of mine sounds cracked (click click click in 4 while turning) and the local price appears to be about $200 !! So I'm thinking of bringing one back from the states if that makes sense. But it seems a greasy and heavy thing to haul...

sandcruiser said:
sorry to hijack....

How heavy is the birf bell?

One of mine sounds cracked (click click click in 4 while turning) and the local price appears to be about $200 !! So I'm thinking of bringing one back from the states if that makes sense. But it seems a greasy and heavy thing to haul...

Maybe 4-5 pounds. Not really that heavy. :confused:

The click click probably just means they need lube.

I carry them seperated. But it is much easier to drop the whole shaft in as cleaning things up might take a while.

Don't forget to pack at least a few extra axle seals.

CruisinGA said:
Maybe 4-5 pounds. Not really that heavy. :confused:

The click click probably just means they need lube.

Great! I'll have to pull them apart and check that out.... the truck they are on isn't going anywhere this month anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom