Carolina Relic Run 2018 - April 26-29, 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
CRR 2018 Header.PNG

Due to an overwhelming response, REGISTRATION has been temporarily suspended.
Please head over to ONSC's Website (click here)
If you have not already registered, please note we can no longer guarantee an event shirt in the size you need.

DISCLAIMER - This first post will be updated periodically.

About the Event
The Carolina Relic Run was created as a special event for vintage Toyota Land Cruisers (build dates of 1990 and earlier) in the Southeast but is open to owners of all Toyotas having 4WD. The event is organized by the Olde North State Cruisers, a not-for-profit chapter of the Toyota Land Cruiser Association (TLCA). Click HERE to view the article which appeared in the Jan/Feb 2018 edition of Toyota Trails, the official magazine of the Toyota Land Cruiser Association (TLCA) [See cover and pages 28-35]. Click HERE to view a thread which includes the published photos and other great ones that didn't make the cut. Finally, HERE is video of last year's event shot and produced by @mtnbike28 (Jay).

Since the focus of the event is on Toyota “Relics”, only trucks with build dates of 1990 and earlier will be able to participate in the official “Relic Run”, be in official event pictures and be eligible to receive awards. However, we encourage Toyota 4×4 owners of ALL YEARS to attend the event, participate in the raffles and camp with us at the Badin Lake Group Camp!

The 2018 Carolina Relic Run will be held Thursday, April 26th – Sunday, April 29th 2018 at Uwharrie National Forest!!!

Uwharrie National Forrest is approximately 51,000 acres in size and offers outdoor activities including hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking, fishing, swimming, boating and approximately 20 miles of trails designated for off-roading.

Below please find the draft schedule of events (obviously subject to change). Please PM me with suggested revisions and additions.

Unorganized and Organized Events & Activities:

Thursday, April 26th
Group Camp opens for Early Bird Campers at 3pm.

Friday, April 27th

Vehicle Inspection and Check-In
Dusk Trail Ride
Games including cornhole, kickball and ladder toss

Saturday, April 28th
7 am – 9 am - Vehicle Inspection and Check-in
9 am – 10:30 am – Relic Runs | Pack your lunch and hit the easy and moderate trails. We'll send out moderately sized groups of trucks in waves starting at 9 am.
11 am – 5 pm – Trail Rides | Split up into groups seeking varying levels of difficult terrain. Have lunch with your old and new friends along the trail
5 pm – All Relic trucks should head over to the Uwharrie Off-Road Training Center property across Hwy. 109 from the Eldorado Outpost for the vehicle line-up, photoshoot and judging for the following competitions
1. Oldest Land Cruiser
2. Longest Continuous Ownership
3. Best Overall Condition
4. Iron Butt Award (furthest driven to the event in their Land Cruiser)
5. Best Patina
6. Most Original
7. Most Unoriginal/Modified
8. Best Overall Vintage Camping Equipment
9. Fan Favorite​
7 pm – Dinner catered by Texalina BBQ - Adults will enjoy a buffet meal of slow smoked chopped pork BBQ, parmesan potatoes, coleslaw, rolls and baked beans. Our caterer prides themselves in their homemade BBQ sauces and flavors include: Sweet Apple Bourbon, Redline Vinegar, Four Pepper Hot and Possum Venom. Children will enjoy a meal of chicken tenders and mac-n-cheese. For dessert, everyone will enjoy cobbler. Choose from ice tea, lemonade and water to drink.
8:15 pm - Vintage Attire Fashion Show (f/k/a Best Dressed competition) - Following dinner, break out attire that is period correct for your relic. The winner of this competition will be determined by the applause, cat-calls and whistles
8:30 pm - Awards and Raffle Drawings and Kid's Raffle Drawings

Sunday, April 29th
9 am – Trail Rides
11 am – Campsite Checkout​
Our very own Alex Cortani (@Green Hell Mustang) designed this incredibly awesome logo for the event which will be available in decal form in this and several other colors similar to Toyota factory paint colors available in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
2018 Carolina Relic Run Sticker Design.PNG

If you like this logo, order an official Carolina Relic Run trucker hat when you register online for just $12. If we have any extra, they'll be first-come first-served for $15 at the event.

Below is a mock-up of this year’s event t-shirt. Driver and spectator registration includes a shirt and extras can be ordered during online registration.
AE31D75E-10C5-4F1E-A200-A76ECA4D91A3.jpeg

Campsite Details:
Olde North State Cruisers has reserved all three group campsites at Badin Lake Group Camp, which offers flushable toilets, vault toilets, showers and drinking water. As a reminder, Uwharrie National Forest is an alcohol-free area. Based on feedback from last year, we'll mark off an area for parking tow rigs and trailers and we’ll also have a designated camping areas for those using generators or driving an RV and another for the "late night" crowd.

DIRECTIONS

From the Eldorado Outpost:
Head north on Hwy 109
Turn left on Mullinix Road
Turn right on NF-554
Turn right on Badin Lake Road
First left on Badin Lake Ramp
Turn right into the Group Camp area about 1/4 mile down.

Via Google Maps:
Google Maps

GPS Coordinates:
35.4510162,-80.0720509

Family Friendly:
Like all other Olde North State Cruiser events, this one is also open to your entire family, including children and dogs. Please be thoughtful, courteous and cautious and leave at home any member of your family that might not be well socialized or be otherwise unpredictable at a gathering of this type. Problematic people and pets deemed to pose a safety hazard or who show aggression will be removed from group camp. On a happier note, kids age 17 and under get in for free!

Trails for Everyone:
The 20-mile trail system is primarily geared for 4x4s and four wheelers but all vehicle types, including dirt bikes, are permitted. As trail difficulties ranges from mild to difficult, there are trails suited for both stock and built Toyotas, and everything in between. Note: Your vehicle must be “street legal” to access the trails from the campsite. Otherwise, it will need to be trailered.

Great Value
Your drivers registration includes 3 nights of camping, event fee, dinner, event t-shirt, ticket for the drivers raffle, access to general raffle, and more.

Driver Registration (For owners of relics only)
  • Includes Event Fee
  • Access to Campsites
  • Drivers Raffle Ticket
  • Saturday Night Dinner
  • Event Decal
  • Event T-shirt (Only guaranteed for those that pre-register! Otherwise, while supplies last.)
Cost - $60

Passenger Registration
(pre-registration or on-site)
  • Access to Campsites
  • Saturday Night Dinner
Cost - $15

Spectator Registration (for those non-relic owners who don't want to miss out on all the fun)
  • Includes Event Fee
  • Access to Campsites
  • Saturday Night Dinner
  • Event Decal
  • Event T-shirt (Only guaranteed for those that pre-register! Otherwise, while supplies last.)
Cost - $60

Note:
We have new rules so as to ensure there is ample space for vehicle parking and camping for everyone that wants to attend. Driver Registration will provide parking for up to 2 motorized vehicles and a trailer (i.e. tow rig, Relic and trailer OR Relic and minivan). Spectator Registration allows for one additional motorized vehicle for a total of two; no trailers permitted under a Spectator registration due to space limitations. All Relics must be registered as a Driver. All other Toyota 4WD vehicles must be registered as Spectator. All other vehicles not covered under the additional vehicle allowance must be registered as Spectator. Please contact us before registering if you need clarification on this. Everywhere possible, vehicles and camping trailers should be parked perpendicular to the road running within Group Camp.

Raffle Prizes:
We were fortunate last year to have a significant number of sponsors donate fantastic raffle items. Please consider buying your tickets for the General Raffle when you register. We're currently reaching out to potential sponsors and will update this post periodically as we receive commitments.

Driver’s Raffle - must be present to win
General Raffle - must be present to win [note: this list is incomplete as of 4/8]
  • 1 $100 Metal-Tech gift certificate
  • 2 $50 Metal-Tech gift certificates
  • 2 Metal-Tech 4x4 Busta Cap 50BMG bottle openers
  • 10 Metal-Tech swag bags
  • 2 Machetes - Courtesy of Metal-Tech
  • 12 Metal-Tech 4x4 pint glasses
  • Full Yellow Zinc JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) Hardware Kit for FJ40, organizer and Stainless Steel JIS Front Door Hinge kit - Courtesy of Overland Metric
  • Assorted stickers, t-shirts and patches - Courtesy of Sackwear
  • 1 F Non-USA Trollhole Carb - Courtesy of Trollhole’s Cruisers
  • 1 2F Non-USA Trollhole Carb - Courtesy of Trollhole’s Cruisers
  • 1 FJ40 trail cover - Courtesy of Trollhole’s Cruisers
  • The items below are courtesy of Fred Anderson Toyota
    • ARB Elements fridge
    • ARB camp chairs
    • ARB tire deflator kits
    • ARB tire patch kits
    • Random straps/recovery gear
  • CCOT Complete Turn Signal Package - Includes fender mounted turn signals, tail lights and rock shields (fits '75-'84 40 series trucks) - Courtesy of Cool Cruisers of Texas
  • Set of NOS hubcaps - Courtesy of Land Cruiser Junktion
  • T-shirts featuring Deo’s FST - Courtesy of Land Cruiser Junktion
  • Epic Recovery Kit - Courtesy of Warn
  • 2 $250 gift certificates for shop credit towatds parts or labor from Carolina Off-Road Outfitters
  • 2 40-55-60 Series Terrian Tamer knuckle kits - Courtesy of Cruiser Brothers
  • 3 $200 discount coupons for Long Range Automotive fuel tanks - Courtesy of Cruiser Brothers
  • Drop down tailgate that fits ‘75-‘78 model years FJ40s. - Courtesy of Todd at Real Steel Cruiser Parts
  • 1 Axe, 1 hatchet and sharpening kit - Courtesy of LumberJaxe
  • 2 Hatchets each with a sharpening kit - Courtesy of LumberJaxe
  • The following are courtesy of Spector Off Road
    • 20 The Legend of Land Cruiser CDs (see image below)
    • 5 SOR T-shirts of varying sizes
    • 30 FJ40 SOR decals
    • 30 FJ62 SOR decals
    • 6 $22 SOR gift certificates
  • The following are courtesy of Midstate Toyota
    • 2 - ARB Camp Chairs with table
    • 2 - Dobinsons snatch straps
    • 1 ARB High Output Portable Air Supply
  • The following are Courtesy of Land Cruiser Heaven
    • 1 set of replacement fenders for a 40 series
    • 2 $250 Land Cruiser Heaven cash vouchers
  • 3 gift certificates for a PSD rack - Courtesy of OrangeBoxx
Additional Info:
  • Registration for the event does not included the daily OHV Trail Passes, which can be purchased at the Eldorado Outpost at a cost of $5 per day. Be sure to grab a FREE USFS map of the OHV trail system while you’re there.
  • All Spectator trucks are encouraged to organize and enjoy their own trail rides (aka Outlaws Run) during the official “Relic Run” ride as they will not be permitted to accompany the Relics as per event registrations.
  • To participate in official event trail rides, vehicles must pass ONSC Vehicle Inspection Requirements which can be found HERE
  • General Raffle Tickets - $1 each or 25 for $20 and can be purchased as part of registration or at the registration tent at the event.
  • Extra T-Shirts can be ordered during online registration for an extra $15 order or purchased at the registration tent while supplies last
  • PLEASE be sure to let us know how many children age 17 and under you will have in your party so we can plan accordingly (via the "Child" add-on during registration)
  • Camp fires are restricted to the Group Camp fire pits. No ground based campfires are allowed. You may also have a campfire if you use a raised fire pit. If you are unsure of the situation, please see an ONSC staff or Eventvolunteer or inquire at the registration tent.

Future edits to come, so stay tuned to this post for updates.

The Carolina Relic Run is not to be confused with the annual "Relic Run "event organized by Expedition Utah. The Carolina Relic Run is not endorsed by and is not in any way affiliated with Expedition Utah or its event.

Last edited:
I will be there. So will the family.

Im in.

Me and @fourtrax are in, maybe the rest of the crew.

I'm in, really fired up about this. Great event!

Great job putting this event together. Looking forward to it. Long live @Kayaker and his reign for receiving numerous awards and trophies.

Probably will be there with the kids.

Me and 3 other cruisers from Nashville will be there. Hoping to recruit a few more!

I'm planning to attend; How could I not! I'm hoping the wife will join me this year (she is now retired) as well. Right now, I'm planning on a repeat of last year's route with a few days stop-over at FATS in Georgia for some trail riding and to break up the trip. That may preclude my participation in the caravan though that's an attractive option. I'll watch your route and if it sounds practical or weather interferes with our camping in GA, we may join in.

Last edited:
I'm planning to attend; I could I not! I'm hoping the wife will join me this year (she is now retired) as well.

Now that your wife has all this free time, she can make some extra money embroidering shirts like the sweet one she made for you and you rocked last year. I’ll be her first customer. :)

Last edited:
Will there be a VIP area for FJCs and LXs. The white trouser yachters?

I'm in! This is definitely a "Do not miss" kinda event!

Already arranged for a sitter and my grandson is highly interested in attending again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom