Cargo Accessory Mounting Panel (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pem hardware is another option.
Never heard of it before, but self cinching lug is good idea.

Big open space in there and taking measurements of mounting point at top of wheel well.

I’m thinking 3 mounting brackets.
1) Top
2) Top of wheel well
3) low point at rear

Red highlighted Space is for brackets.
Green would be the panel that mounts on top across all 3 brackets.

IMG_3368.jpeg

IMG_3366.jpeg

PEM hardware is pretty cool stuff. There's a thousand options for one, but one advantage of using PEM nuts over rivnuts is that the PEM hardware sits flush so when tightening up two components, you are tightening one against the other instead of just against the rim around the rivnut.

Downside to PEM hardware is you need a PEM press to install it and you need the specific tooling for each PEM bit you want to install. Any precision sheetmetal shop worth a hoot has a nice PEM press and a mountain of tooling and usually a huge stockpile of the hardware bits in stock.

One other thing I would like to mention while you are in the design phase of this project-

Sheetmetal gets real cheap when the quantity gets in the tens of thousands and higher. Low quantity sheetmetal is usually laser cut today. If you're a better designer and your part can get away with it you can design your part for turret punching which is faster and cheaper than laser and can have some big advantages for the right applications.

However,

Sometimes sheetmetal isn't even the right answer at all.

See today, in north America, labor is the #1 cost of making anything. Sheetmetal is pretty cheap materialwise. But it's pretty labor intensive. Setup costs can be pretty big for a small run of press brake parts.

I make a lot of parts today machined from solid aluminum plate and barstock on a horizontal machining center where I can reach 5 sides in one operation. Sure, the material might be $6 instead of $0.69, but I only touch the part one time and it comes out perfectly deburred with threads and cool features and prettiness that's hard to match with sheetmetal. 6061 is way, way better material than 5052 that formed parts are made from.

So anyway, CJK, if in your designing phase it starts to look like those 3 pieces could be made out of 3/8" x 4", 6", 10" or whatever wide 6061 flatbar with M6 holes machined into the edges don't be affraid to dump the sheetmetal design altogether. Sometimes machining from solid is just cheaper, faster, simpler and better.

I have not used this service but maybe it is a way to get this done and not wait over a year.

I think the whole diy aspect is so anyone can build this from home. I know harbor freight sells some sheet metal tools that are cheap and would probably do the job sufficiently. And knowing the LC community only a few guys in certain areas need the tools.
@LandCruisinMy93 made a pretty slick quarter panel for his rig here, might try and reach out to him? there was also a thread about getting 3D scans of different parts of the 80 series which may be an option so get something mocked up!
that mount is nice, and seems to have that compressor higher. I’m pretty sure I sunk my ARB compressor once when it was mounted to the WE QPM. While the WE QPM has the compressor tucked away nicely and gives more room for accessories, it does move it closer to the elements down in that panel

Last edited:
There is a thread in Buyers beware if you want to discuss the vender. I have deleted all posts that referenced him and the issues as this is tech. Feel free to add to the buyers beware thread if you are so inclined as that is the place for it, not here.

Please don't make me have to put my drink down, get out of my chair and have to moderate this thread again :)

Happy New Year!

Your friendly moderator team

Great idea!!

If a person (like me who doesn't understand cad) could take your file and send it off to sendcutsend or oshcut, it'd be awesome.

It would be cool if the design was based on brackets that allowed the buyer to source the mounting panel locally. Lots of materials choices from plywood to sheet aluminum or even HDPE. Buying locally would help avoid shipping the largest component from afar, which gets costly.

Reactions: PIP
@CJK I did a quick stab and creating some brackets similar to what you suggested, I 3d printed some test plates to see if It lined up, pretty close but need to do some more tweaking. the larger top mount I split into two pieces and is printing now for a test fit. Let me know if I can help during the design phase as well

20231229_133556.jpg

20231229_133623.jpg

20231229_133653.jpg

@CJK I did a quick stab and creating some brackets similar to what you suggested, I 3d printed some test plates to see if It lined up, pretty close but need to do some more tweaking. the larger top mount I split into two pieces and is printing now for a test fit. Let me know if I can help during the design phase as well

Brackets 3D printed with PETG or ASA might be a cost-effective solution

since I’m sure Joey or one of his minions will be looking, I’ll be explicitly clear.

I’m not copying the QPM. If you want that exact product, go play Lotto with him.

I’m thinking of a 3-piece design (upper and lower brackets mount to the vehicle with a panel that spans them). This application seems ideal for Rivnuts or rivets to connect the panel to the brackets.

This reduces materials needed (cost) and shipping size (cost).

The panel that spans between could be metal, wood or UHMW Plastic (shoutout @LandCruisinMy93 for that idea).

exactly. i don't need a full turn-key package with powder coating, etching, and high end maple. just a schematic sendcutsend can cut and bend. i can cut plywood myself

I’m definitely interested.

I have not used this service but maybe it is a way to get this done and not wait over a year.

SendCutSend is cool. I used them to make some simple rear heater delete plates just to try out the service. Next I’m working on an air compressor mount to go under the passenger seat, maybe a battery tray modification and a rear quarter panel mount like everyone is discussing here

Don’t forget that area can see moisture. At least mine did.

I shouldn't have said replaced but removed and resealed. Originally there is a foam(?) backing that rots away. Pull them out, clean them and then bed them in a sealant. I used RTV as it was was I had.

for me, the bigger leak was the clips holding the L shaped louver on. driver side was the worst. i used 3m weather strip or "dum dum" to replace the dried up gaskets.

Send Cut Send is what I've been using. I'm not sure what WE is using, but when you order 2 of the same part...price goes down by nearly half...order 5...well it becomes clear it's a money maker given WE price. There is a lot of space in there though. I didn't want to lose that side pocket as I actually use it and didn't have a panel cover to make it look Purdy. Also, wasn't thrilled with the idea of having a cavernous hole filled with random stuff that feels like a comedic clown car skit every time I needed to dig something out. 3D printing templates is the way I went also. I marked all of the holes I was going to utilize, took a picture and then used markup on my phone and took way too many measurements as well as angles with my digital protractor. Having an excess of measurements to reference makes makes it easier to figure out locations in space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom