Cargo Accessory Mounting Panel (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CJK

SILVER Star
Threads
The QPM by Wits End is a great solution for mounting accessories in the rear quarter panel area. However, nobody has developed an alternative product that is actually available.

I’m starting this thread to keep people informed as I build a part in CAD that you will be able to send to a local fabrication shop for cutting and bending.

How much will it cost?
Nothing to me but I expect anyone that uses it to go do something nice for other people in their community whether that is donate money or volunteer time.

But really…why would you give it away for free?
Land cruisers are my hobby and I want a firm line between my hobby and my work. Personally, I would feel “more wealthy” to know that my time spent building the part in CAD led to people doing good stuff for others.

I plan to get this turned around in a couple days at a leisurely pace.

Subscribe and stay tuned for updates.

Let's get this thread back on track so @CJK doesn't tell us all to fly a kite when he comes up with the CAD file to share for FREE.

Not to inject fuel to the fire, as a pre-order customer for last years' "batch5" of the panel in question, I'd like to have an option as I've already written that delivery off at this point. I appreciate some alternative options, even if they do look identical to the "original".

I recommend people just not mention Wits End.
Probably a good plan...
I hear if you say his name three times while throwing money in a fire, he'll appear like Beatlejuice and show you his ass.

Last edited:
The QPM by Wits End is a great solution for mounting accessories in the rear quarter panel area. However, nobody has developed an alternative product that is actually available.

I’m starting this thread to keep people informed as I build a part in CAD that you will be able to send to a local fabrication shop for cutting and bending.

How much will it cost?
Nothing to me but I expect anyone that uses it to go do something nice for other people in their community whether that is donate money or volunteer time.

Land cruisers are my hobby and I want a firm line between my hobby and my work. Personally, I would feel “more wealthy” to know that my time spent building the part in CAD led to people doing good stuff for others.

@LandCruisinMy93 made a pretty slick quarter panel for his rig here, might try and reach out to him? there was also a thread about getting 3D scans of different parts of the 80 series which may be an option so get something mocked up!

@LandCruisinMy93 made a pretty slick quarter panel for his rig here, might try and reach out to him? there was also a thread about getting 3D scans of different parts of the 80 series which may be an option so get something mocked up!
Thanks for sharing — this thread is new to me so I’ll reach out.

In my mind, this part will be open-source and people can modify to fit their needs (much akin to the 3D printing community).

Thanks for sharing — this thread is new to me so I’ll reach out.

In my mind, this part will be open-source and people can modify to fit their needs (much akin to the 3D printing community).
I think if someone 3D scanned it, we could probably create a pretty simple base panel that people could use as a starting point!

I think if someone 3D scanned it, we could probably create a pretty simple base panel that people could use as a starting point!

I know it's an interesting new technology, but 3D scanning is not really necessary or even commonly used to reverse engineer things.

Basic measuring tools are all that's needed. They're more accurate and in most cases the entire process goes faster than it would if you involved a scanner.

I know it's an interesting new technology, but 3D scanning is not really necessary or even commonly used to reverse engineer things.

Basic measuring tools are all that's needed. They're more accurate and in most cases the entire process goes faster than it would if you involved a scanner.
3D scans "weren't" common to reverse engineering, you can sure as s*** bet they are now and make designing and optimizing parts much faster! Also for reference there are dimensions on "he who shall not be named's" website:
1703789442237.png

if the part was in CAD and there was a 3D scan of the QP changing the base drawing to suit your rig and what you want to do could make it much quicker along with most parts already having 3D drawings available so you can insert them in your model to test fit and space, just my $.02!

3D scans "weren't" common to reverse engineering, you can sure as s*** bet they are now and make designing and optimizing parts much faster! Also for reference there are dimensions on "he who shall not be named's" website: View attachment 3519123
if the part was in CAD and there was a 3D scan of the QP changing the base drawing to suit your rig and what you want to do could make it much quicker along with most parts already having 3D drawings available so you can insert them in your model to test fit and space, just my $.02!

If that part was in my shop and I needed to make another, I would spend 20 minutes with calipers, and a straightedge and have a nice clean model. Done.

I don't see 3D scanning used much in the manufacturing industry. It seems like a becomes a bottleneck for some who try to use it for everything.

If that part was in my shop and I needed to make another, I would spend 20 minutes with calipers, and a straightedge and have a nice clean model. Done.

I don't see 3D scanning used much in the manufacturing industry. It seems like a becomes a bottleneck for some who try to use it for everything.
for a one off part that will never change in design then sure, but we are talking about a base design that people can then modify to suit their needs. Its super simple to make modifications in fusion or w/e you use and then check for interference with the scan vs going out and measuring after every tweak. And hey if you don't want to use the 3D scan no ones got a gun to your head.

I see 3D used in the design industry everyday, this thread isn't about manufacturing something....its about creating an open source drawing that anyone can use to get a piece of equipment made and modify to their specific needs if required.

for a one off part that will never change in design then sure, but we are talking about a base design that people can then modify to suit their needs. Its super simple to make modifications in fusion or w/e you use and then check for interference with the scan vs going out and measuring after every tweak. And hey if you don't want to use the 3D scan no ones got a gun to your head.

I see 3D used in the design industry everyday, this thread isn't about manufacturing something....its about creating an open source drawing that anyone can use to get a piece of equipment made and modify to their specific needs if required.

I don't quite follow you here. CJK states he's going to share a working drawing for the qpm that anyone can send out for fabrication.

That's a little different from what you are suggesting.

Sure, you can take that and modify it into whatever you like, but, IMO, if you can do that then you don't need any of this at all. You can just as easily design whatever you want from scratch.

I don't quite follow you here. CJK states he's going to share a working drawing for the qpm that anyone can send out for fabrication.

That's a little different from what you are suggesting.

Sure, you can take that and modify it into whatever you like, but, IMO, if you can do that then you don't need any of this at all. You can just as easily design whatever you want from scratch.
correct sharing a working 3D drawing people can send out to get fabricated or...or....oooooorrrrrr hang with me here... people could even modify it to suit their needs and then send it out to get fabricated! I'm not telling CJK to go spend money to get a 3D scan but there are some mudders with scanners and it would be cool to have a scan to access to test interference while you tweak...not quite sure what the hang up is for you!

correct sharing a working 3D drawing people can send out to get fabricated or...or....oooooorrrrrr hang with me here... people could even modify it to suit their needs and then send it out to get fabricated! I'm not telling CJK to go spend money to get a 3D scan but there are some mudders with scanners and it would be cool to have a scan to access to test interference while you tweak...not quite sure what the hang up is for you!

So what were you talking about in your first post? I interpreted your post as stating you thought it was necessary to 3D scan a QPM to create a model for people to use.

And I basically said that's overkill and inaccurate and time consuming when CJK can just measure the QPM and model it.

It appears you are now discussing 3D scanning the hollow space the QPM fits into? Sure- That's a different use case.

I've been doing this stuff along time and 3D scanning of various technologies has been around a long time. I've raced another engineer head to head to get to a model, me with my calipers, gauge pins and radius gages against their $200k scanner. Not only was I much faster, but the part I made from my model actually fit. His did not.

3D scanners are not great at hole locations among other things. By the time you clean up a 3D scan and accurately measure all the stuff you need to accurately measure you could have just skipped the scanning part.

If you need a general idea of a big organic type shape then 3D scanning can be good.

So what were you talking about in your first post? I interpreted your post as stating you thought it was necessary to 3D scan a QPM to create a model for people to use.

And I basically said that's overkill and inaccurate and time consuming when CJK can just measure the QPM and model it.

It appears you are now discussing 3D scanning the hollow space the QPM fits into? Sure- That's a different use case.

I've been doing this stuff along time and 3D scanning of various technologies has been around a long time. I've raced another engineer head to head to get to a model, me with my calipers, gauge pins and radius gages against their $200k scanner. Not only was I much faster, but the part I made from my model actually fit. His did not.

3D scanners are not great at hole locations among other things. By the time you clean up a 3D scan and accurately measure all the stuff you need to accurately measure you could have just skipped the scanning part.

If you need a general idea of a big organic type shape then 3D scanning can be good.
reread post #23. the scan would be of the quarter panel cubby in the 80 and could be used to test interference of the mounting panel if the user made changes. This discussion is going no where so lets just agree to disagree and move on, :cheers:.

How much will it cost?

Thanks for doing this, I would love to have access to this. Other options on the market are a bit much for what I need; just some basic brackets that hug the inside of the body that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom