Carburated 3F failed emissions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
So I've imported an FJ75 from the Middle East and went for an emissions test today in the Phoenix area. I pretty much expected a fail. I don't have a catalytic converter (Gulf Spec in 1991 on these rigs didn't include that). I'm posting here because this forum has the most experience (other related threads) to my engine and emissions testing.

Here's my results:
108emissions.jpg

Some of the known quantities when taking this test:
1. New plugs and cables, new condenser, new distributor points, new distributor cap. New air filter (only like 2000 kms on this filter).
2. Old gas. I didn't think of this until after the fact... but the fuel has been in the tank for 3 months since shipping from the UAE.
3. Engine was nice and warm when I arrived at the testing facility. Only waited about 30 minutes. Didn't let the truck idle much.
4. Both tanks hold pressure... it's a dual fuel tank rig.
5. I've got two charcoal canisters, one for each tank. I've got three VSV valves under the hood. One I know doesn't work and has been bypassed.

I'm looking for some guidance/advice. My current thoughts are to do two things:
1. Install a weld-in universal catalytic converter.
2. Adjust valves, adjust timing, and lean out the carb.

Other thoughts?

The cat will help with all of those...burns off excess NO, CO, and HC in the exhaust. If that doesn't get you passig numbers, along with tuning everything, maybe look into running a high percentage of ethanol (add a bottle of HEET to a mostly-empty tank?) for the test.

EDIT: those high nitrogen numbers are usually solved with EGR in a fully-smogged setup, to lower the combustion temperature. Leaning out your carb probably won't help get those lower, but I think the ethanol helps lower combustion temps, and the cat is supposed to burn off nitrogen compounds (the source of the original yellowish smog that they were invented to deal with) along with the incompletely burnt fuel and CO.

Yes, the CAT will help tremendously. Also, your local gas is probably 10% EtOH which will burn cleaner. You really need to do those things before any further baselining.

Valve adj and lean-drop carb adj will help too. Check timing, slightly retard it. Make sure Air filter is clean and oil is new.

Did you set points by point gap or dwell? An accurate dwell will almost always result in a hotter, cleaner burn. You’re just not likely to find a lot of info on that in a 60 forum where everyone is running non-adjustable electronic ignition.

Did you set points by point gap or dwell? An accurate dwell will almost always result in a hotter, cleaner burn. You’re just not likely to find a lot of info on that in a 60 forum where everyone is running non-adjustable electronic ignition.

I set the points by gap. When I go through and set the valves I'll go through the dwell and lean-drop method. Thanks for the pointer on that.

I do have the dwell meter/tachometer and timing light for tuning my 40... so I'm equipped for that.

Yes, the test will be less-rigorous if NOT on the dyno, although I don't see in your test posting where they tested at diff speeds. I'm not familiar with AZ to know what is SOP. CA tests at 25/50 mph, and I've tried the trick of telling them it's full-time 4wd but the info they get back on the computer screen catches it. I just smile and say, 'It was worth a try'.

If you get a CAT, the universal Magnaflow is pretty good and under $100 if you buy on-line 48-State version.

I can't see that vehicle passing a legit smog test ever- even if the tailpipe numbers fall within limits. Smog tests by the book require that the vehicle emissions equipment has never been tampered with. There's a "tampering law" regarding emissions equipment. Also a vehicle is supposed to pass a visual inspection. It's doubtful that vehicle has all the correct equipment.

That's not to say that you'll never get a smog certificate, cuz there's smog techs at borderline shops that may cheat a bit for you, but by the book- that cruiser can never pass.

His test says it passed 'Equipment Inspection' ...

A cat will help for a little while but if the exhaust isn't varying rich/lean then the cat will have issues of its own. Probably need the smog pump and EGR systems installed and corresponding carb. Given the cost of sourcing all those pieces this might be a great time to invest in something like a Holley Sniper TBI and install a new cat or two.

You should be able to lean it out enough to pass with just carb adjusting. Many years ago I went to a 3 day GM class on emissions we brought in my 390 powered Mercury and hooked it up to an emissions machine. We got it to pass for mid 90's with just carb tuning and no emissions devices on the engine. I would lean the tune, verify timing and freshen the gas up. Also make him test you as a truck. Trucks have higher standards than cars. You may also get help by claiming a higher GVW. In Georgia you become exempt from testing at 8500 pounds

I could be wrong be I don't think carbureted non USA 3Fs had an EGR system from the factory. Ditto for air injection. Without those systems it'll fail. Granted you could retard the hell out of the timing to reduce the combustion temps (if the tech turns a blind eye) but without extra oxygen somehow getting into the exhaust (via air injection) CO will usually be out of range (fail).
I think your best bet is to find the "right kind" of smog tech at the "right kind" of smog shop to help you get through this.

Sure, if you owned an exhaust analyzer and knew how to use it and knew how to tinker with the engine, it might just pass a test with enough tinkering.... but who's going to buy an exhaust analyzing machine?

That's funny. No cat but passed the visual inspection

It's AZ and the truck is Gulf Spec 1991. FAIK if it passes DOT regs then they may only require the equip it came with. Dunno. But I understand the Phoenix Metro area is pretty strict with smog compliance ?

I looked in the EPC and for FJ7# for 90-92 3F, only years 3F offered, (Gulf spec) no EGR valve listed ...

@Honger did you have to do a safety inspection ?

Can you post some pix of the engine, please ? Very interested in what she looks like :D

Last edited:
That's funny. No cat but passed the visual inspection

The visual inspection was twofold... one was under the hood and he basically opened the hood and looked around. The other was the gas caps. They tried to pressure test my tanks but their adapters wouldn't fit my fillers, so they just inspected the gas caps for a good seal. They never even looked under the car.

I was pretty upfront about everything... it's a middle east spec land cruiser never intended to pass emissions. I straight up told them it had no catalytic converter. One of the other staff looked up my year and "Land Cruiser" in their book and it should have two catalytic converters accordingly... but then acknowledged their book was meaningless because of where my truck came from.

A cat will help for a little while but if the exhaust isn't varying rich/lean then the cat will have issues of its own. Probably need the smog pump and EGR systems installed and corresponding carb. Given the cost of sourcing all those pieces this might be a great time to invest in something like a Holley Sniper TBI and install a new cat or two.

Invest in the Holley Sniper and some cats INSTEAD of the EGR and smog pump? Or in addition to?

I've been strongly considering TBI for this truck as it is...

It's AZ and the truck is Gulf Spec 1991. FAIK if it passes DOT regs then they may only require the equip it came with. Dunno. But I understand the Phoenix Metro area is pretty strict with smog compliance ?

I looked in the EPC and for FJ7# for 90-92 3F, only years 3F offered, (Gulf spec) no EGR valve listed ...

@Honger did you have to do a safety inspection ?

Can you post some pix of the engine, please ? Very interested in what she looks like :D

It is exempt from all DOT and EPA regs... if they start getting uptight about what kit is on it then I'll go find another testing center.

Thanks for the EPC lookup. These trucks weren't designed to be efficient.

Since it's over 25 years old I only have to do a Level 1 inspection here in Phoenix... which is just a VIN check of the vehicle.

I'll get some engine pics for you, sure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom