Builds Car souq pickup (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Better?

I tend to agree with you on the interior but the exterior on the tan one is the bee's knees IMHO.
Perhaps the wood trim belongs in a “high brow” 200 Series but just looks out of place in a 76 or 79 Series Land Cruiser.

Perhaps the wood trim belongs in a “high brow” 200 Series but just looks out of place in a 76 or 79 Series Land Cruiser.

Apologies but I'm confused. The second link doesn't have wood trim.

Apologies but I'm confused. The second link doesn't have wood trim.
My bad, I was referring to the 76 Series. I shouldn’t post until the caffeine kicks in. :)

New parts! When I took the dash apart I noticed that the radio surround had a crack so I ordered a new one. Thought I might as well get the AC surround while I was ordering....and a new instrument cluster cover. Went ahead and bought enough new screws to do the entire dash as well. This stuff is pretty inexpensive by the way.

2EBE6CE6-173E-40D7-8E19-EBF8402FB119.jpeg

New parts! When I took the dash apart I noticed that the radio surround had a crack so I ordered a new one. Thought I might as well get the AC surround while I was ordering....and a new instrument cluster cover. Went ahead and bought enough new screws to do the entire dash as well. This stuff is pretty inexpensive by the way.

View attachment 2432242

If handy, would you mind posting the P/Ns for the instrument cluster cover and AC surround? Thanks!

If handy, would you mind posting the P/Ns for the instrument cluster cover and AC surround? Thanks!

No problem. You should sign up to this website; totally free. ToyoDIY.com

Put your VIN in or search for your year and model and it has all the parts diagrams and numbers. I have been using it for years.

AC Surround: 55412-60080
Instrument cluster "glass": 83138-90K00

I’m sure it will be well worth the effort but if anyone tells you Dynamat Pro is easy to roll out on ribbed surfaces they are lying. Not that anyone told me but just in case the subject comes up.

228A1DF0-EFE9-4AB5-A3C8-FC7149D70CD9.jpeg

I would say this qualifies as an improvement over the OEM painted asphalt. 80 mil Damplifier Pro with 5 coats of Spectrum on top.

31E0AAEF-CD23-4C4F-9213-EB3A1CD1DA48.jpeg

B146E876-6CC5-4A21-9707-794AEFE3A862.jpeg

really beautiful work there. what did you use to make your templates?

I used some ribbed shelf liner material that came in a 2' by 10' roll. It's fairly thick. I was looking for some shower curtain material but couldn't find clear. You never know what you can and cannot find here. After laying the Damplifier Pro I used wire tape to outline the Damplifier and then used painter's tape over that. I've never used wire tape before but I really like it. Makes a pretty clean edge when you pull it through.

2711E010-E010-46B5-8FA2-13DF2182C6C4.jpeg

why not put spectrum on the entire floor?

why not put spectrum on the entire floor?

Because I wanted to keep the OEM appearance; especially since the part behind the seat is visible. My plan is to eventually mask the spectrum off and paint it to match. I'm not planning any cross country trips in this pickup. I probably wouldn't have done anything but the OEM stuff had turned into a semi-solid mess in places.

But now that I've started I am covering the door skins in Damplifier Pro. Almost finished one door and it's an amazing difference in sound when you shut the door. I'm sure that will help a lot with road noise. Also planning on eventually doing the roof with Damplifier Pro. The headliner is in decent shape but I have a new one. Shouldn't be too hard since the top is removable but I'm not sure what can be accommodated under the headliner.

So after finishing applying a layer of Damplifier Pro on the second door (inside of outer skin only so far), I went for a drive and could immediately tell the difference. In fact it's way above my expectations. Almost no road noise at all but now I am noticing a lot of wind noise from the top.....don't think I really noticed that before. I have some more Damplifier on order and I think I'm going to have to tackle the roof as soon as it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom