Can someone tell me what this is? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just discovered a cable coming from under my driver seat. It looks to be a coaxiale cable of some sort. I am not sure what it is supposed to go to. It looks to be coming up through the carpet under the seat. I am not sure if it goes to the stero or what. Any idea? I am trying to get everything working in the truck and the plastic seat gears are next on my list. But, this cable is just baffling me.
IMAG0012.jpg
IMAG0011.jpg

Do you have a after market radio antenna? I just disconnected one and the end was coax like that.

Thingamajiggie or a whojacallit. Depends on whether it is OBDII or OBDIII.

Cable TV hook up?

But seriously....try and trace it to see where it goes. I agree with Jacket, it could be a CB antenna. I wonder if it also could be a cable to an old car-phone antenna.

Coaxial cable. Could be for CB radio or ham radio antenna. Highly unlikely but possibly for a TV antenna (remember the old boomerang antennas on cars?)

Also possibly used for the ejection seat modification, very rare find indeed. Don't put +12v on the cable just in case, otherwise you'll have a mess to clean up.

Cable TV hook up?

But seriously....try and trace it to see where it goes. I agree with Jacket, it could be a CB antenna. I wonder if it also could be a cable to an old car-phone antenna.

LOL! It commes from a bunch of cables running along the floor in front of my drivers seat. I can't see where it goes unless I pull up all the carpeting. I have an aftermarket radio, and I think the PO removed the OEM amp. No other audio equipment installed other than the aftermarket radio and speakers.

No, aftermarket antenna anywhere on the car. Maybe it was for the car phone that came in some LX 450's.

Coaxial cable. Could be for CB radio or ham radio antenna. Highly unlikely but possibly for a TV antenna (remember the old boomerang antennas on cars?)

Also possibly used for the ejection seat modification, very rare find indeed. Don't put +12v on the cable just in case, otherwise you'll have a mess to clean up.

+1 on the ejection seat:bounce:

How can I test it. I need a tv or radio that hooks up to it. CB radio will work?

What does the plastic box say on it, or inside??

Look under the truck and see if it comes out through the floor, it looks like you came to my house, unlocked my truck, and took a picture of my CB antenna. While you are at it, look in the rear drivers side compartment where the bottle jack is and see if you have a Lil' Will CB antenna with the magnetic base riding shotgun....I normally stick that out the rear sliding window and attached to the roof when I am out in the middle of nowhere.

BTW that little black box is the remote entry that came from the factory, unplug & the truck won't start.

Comet.

I have one too but mine comes out from underneath my center console. I ruled it out as a tv coax, there are also 4 holes on the back of my center console, like someone ghetto rigged a tv there.

Car phone antennae wire or receiver wire....start pulling!

The box is part of the electric locks remote control. The cable looks like a cb antenna cable.

Comet said:
Look under the truck and see if it comes out through the floor, it looks like you came to my house, unlocked my truck, and took a picture of my CB antenna. While you are at it, look in the rear drivers side compartment where the bottle jack is and see if you have a Lil' Will CB antenna with the magnetic base riding shotgun....I normally stick that out the rear sliding window and attached to the roof when I am out in the middle of nowhere.

BTW that little black box is the remote entry that came from the factory, unplug & the truck won't start.

Comet.

No antenna in driver side rear compartment. Unfortunately. If its a cb antenna then I will buy a cb radio to attach to it. Wait, I would need to find the other end to plug a real antenna to it.

I gave the cable a tug and it won't come out farther than where it's at now. So it barely comes out from under the seat. I don't see anything underneath the car.

If its for a phone, why would it be a coaxl?

If its for a phone, why would it be a coaxl?

Coax (large conductor and shielded) is the best way to keep signal loss to a minimum while running longer distances to antennas.

Last edited:
Not CB or Ham. (I've got both in mine) The connector is smaller than those.

I had the same wire. It runs to that small antenna on the roof near the rear.

My best guess is an analog old cell phone, maybe dealer installed. I had the wire but no phone. Good place to run a CB or Ham wire and since there's already a hole in the roof it's the best place to mount an antenna.

SeanLX said:
Not CB or Ham. (I've got both in mine) The connector is smaller than those.

I had the same wire. It runs to that small antenna on the roof near the rear.

My best guess is an analog old cell phone, maybe dealer installed. I had the wire but no phone. Good place to run a CB or Ham wire and since there's already a hole in the roof it's the best place to mount an antenna.

I think your right Sean. It looks smaller than most Coax's I've seen. And it seems to have been just long enough to reach the center console. The dealer installed phones were inside the consoles if I'm not mistaken.

One hold-up is that there is no antenna or hole in the roof where one might have been. When I bought the car it was pretty stock and the PO didn't do anything aftermarket to it. Strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom