Can someone explain what the lines running to my alternator are? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to get my head around converting this 24V red block 13B-T to 12V, and I want to understand what is there so I can hunt down the right 12V replacement. Is the alternator lubricated with engine oil? Should these oil and ?? lines be retained? If so, where do the capped lines go and what flows through them? If not, is there a preferred way of capping the oil lines at the distribution block?

Thanks!

Vacuum lines is my guess too.

Is it part of the alternator or something that is just driven by the splined rear output shaft to provide function somewhere else?

As gerg said, there is a vac pump attached to your alt, as the diesel engine does not generate vacuum. The pump is lubricated by engine oil and the vac is required for your brake and clutch boosters.

Thank you for the input, guys. Vacuum pump makes a ton of sense. My follow-up question would be how do I plumb this into my BJ40 with manual brakes and manual clutch? I don't want to eliminate the possibility of adding power brakes in the future, but I want to get things running as-is without being forced into that upgrade. Would this require removal of the vacuum pump and blocking off the oil lines at the source until the need arises? Is there a way to keep it installed and safely unused?

You cant connect it unless you have the vacuum reservoir or power booster. Can you actually get vacuum by putting your finger over the hoses?
If I didn't need the vacuum pump I would be inclined to remove it and replace it with a standard one until you need it.
The vacuum pumps are expensive and they do wear out

If I didn't need the vacuum pump I would be inclined to remove it and replace it with a standard one until you need it.

This is what I was thinking, but I'm curious if the "right" way to do this is to block the vacuum pump oil system using short bolts with the banjo washers or if I should create a loop from send to return?

If you leave that alt on there do not remove the oil lines. The rear housing on them does not have a bearing, it is a bronze bush that is oiled buy the vac pump supply.

If you leave that alt on there do not remove the oil lines. The rear housing on them does not have a bearing, it is a bronze bush that is oiled buy the vac pump supply.

Yup. The plan is to either leave the vacuum pump on and install a brake booster to make use of it or take the vacuum pump off and block the oil lines off until there's a reason to re-install the vacuum pump. I don't plan to leave the pump on the alternator unless I'm going to use it.

So that alternator is 24v, right? Do you have a 12V replacement yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom