Campsite lighting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been camping for over 4 decades and this is by far my favorite campsite lantern/flashlight
1605709769263.png

180 / 360 lantern or can be used as a flashlight and has built in USB port. Sweet

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I had a week of camping to try both the GoalZero crush light and mini lantern. Very happy. As mentioned above it’s super handy to toss the solar crush light on the dash each day to recharge. At $20 it’s definitely a value. The mini lantern has an impressive 400 hour run time on low and the magnetic base is appreciated as well.

View attachment 2481331

Got mine...absolutely cool as hell...love it, going to order another!

Reactions: MoJ
Ready Light

Do you have this light or did you just post the link as an example? I’ve been looking at it for a year myself but would like to hear some feedback from a user. A lot of bulk to carry around if it’s not an excellent price of gear.

I have really liked the Streamlight Siege series. I generally keep the small one in the truck 24/7 for those times when you just need some extra light and want to be hands free. they hang or sit most places. AS far as battery life I have never actually put a timer on it but I feel like I am not reaching for batteries all the time. I keep the large one in the milcamper and and a large and small one in the hall closet for if the power goes out and you need a "lantern"

I have the ready light. Wife approved.

Dilikes:
a) can be overpowering w/r brightness. Going to try a red film overlay.
b) though targeting the overland crowd, the stand system is steel = heavy. Could have used aluminum.
c) stand system only allow "tall mount". Would have been better w. Adjust height as well as "low mount" (inside tripod).

All in all, very happy.

Bonus: comes in handy for home use (like bbq nighttime duty).

I use this:

I've got a lot of ryobi tools, and this thing uses the same 18v battery or plugs into 120AC outlet. Good for camping and vehicle repair lighting.

Most of my gear is hand made as I find most camping outdoor gear pretty average and not well suited to my kind of activities.
One major issue with lights is they attract bugs, only real way to deal with this is have an enclosed fly mesh cage, but that is hard to do right.
One of my lights is a camera tripod mounted to a alloy telescopic pole with a 20watt outdoor led 3000K lamp on it, it has a 8m long flex 2core extension cable that has an ando plug on end feed by 12V, gives off roughly 2000 lumens in a nice flood and the lamp can be raised to about 2.2m high or lowered for under awnings. Also lamp tilted on the fly so it's a highly versitle light that lights the entire cooking and eating area up without blinding you much. Fully rain proof too if needed out there. Takes about 1min to setup. But the leds are only about 70CRI. No one is making hi cri outdoor lamps yet.
Also use a fenix 650lumen 18650 battery lantern for in tent that sits on a really nice camera tripod super lite, but not very nice color at 4000K, gives a clinical atmosphere. Only 18650 warm white led is the blf brand and its shaped badly and only 300ish lumen.

Most of my gear is hand made as I find most camping outdoor gear pretty average and not well suited to my kind of activities.
One major issue with lights is they attract bugs, only real way to deal with this is have an enclosed fly mesh cage, but that is hard to do right.
One of my lights is a camera tripod mounted to a alloy telescopic pole with a 20watt outdoor led 3000K lamp on it, it has a 8m long flex 2core extension cable that has an ando plug on end feed by 12V, gives off roughly 2000 lumens in a nice flood and the lamp can be raised to about 2.2m high or lowered for under awnings. Also lamp tilted on the fly so it's a highly versitle light that lights the entire cooking and eating area up without blinding you much. Fully rain proof too if needed out there. Takes about 1min to setup. But the leds are only about 70CRI. No one is making hi cri outdoor lamps yet.
Also use a fenix 650lumen 18650 battery lantern for in tent that sits on a really nice camera tripod super lite, but not very nice color at 4000K, gives a clinical atmosphere. Only 18650 warm white led is the blf brand and its shaped badly and only 300ish lumen.
When weight isn’t a concern such as camping I’m finding area lighting is where it’s at. Picture or it didn’t happen! Lol.

You sound like you might be on candlepower forum.

Son got one of these for Christmas. Plan to hang it over the campsite and cut it on for meal prep, and only as needed. It is bright! $69 at Harbor Freight.

1610757545879.png

I use some of the collapsible solar lights inside the tent, keep a small lantern style led, flashlights and headlamps as others have mentioned.
For roadside emergency I also keep two of these in the truck. They would also work great for a late night arrival at camp if needed.
Amazon product ASIN B0798XR4DL
I like the goal zero crush lights inside the tent, but the solar panel keeps warping and coming off when I leave one on the dash. I need to get another one and stick it in the glove box.

20210228_125534.jpg

And this guy is always in my pocket

20210228_130643.jpg

I got these as a joke to use as campsite lighting instead of doing aux lights on the truck https://amzn.to/2PlFxsX but it turns out we actually like them. they are just outdoor solar lights and there's a motion detector function and i just stick these to the side of the truck once we're set up at camp
Might have to try that!

I usually have a headlamp and flashlight, plus other campers with lit up sites nearby, so I've had good results just using 3' fairy light strings from Amazon to light my open swing outs and tent to prevent walking into metal and allow locating the right tent. They can usually stay on for 5-7 days straight before getting too weak to use. I have a 24" usb closet light that I'll sometimes place face down on my hatch glass when cooking on the tailgate or when I just want to light that area. I can also use both of those options with my 10x10 EZ-UP (zip ties for the closet light).

oh yea i recently started using the fairy lights too. got some solar ones off amazon. they add a nice touch to the camp site!

and the motion function ones i posted above are a nice touch. I forgot them on my last camp trip but looking forward to this year!

This works with all m18 batteries and lasts for weeks on one charge and still got 4/5 bars on the battery.

batteries can exchange with 1/2 impact wrench for wheel changes, sawzall, and chainsaw plus dozens of other power tools for the house And can be charged by a 12v source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom