Campsite lighting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MoJ

Threads
LED lanterns, collapsing contraptions, magnetic lights, rechargeable, etc.

Has anyone found a solution they’re particularly found of?

Are they mostly all the same?

Quality brands?

No recommendation as to type of light. But I seem to recall certain types (but not all) LED bulbs do not attract bugs. To me that would be a benefit. Might be worth looking into.

No recommendation as to type of light. But I seem to recall certain types (but not all) LED bulbs do not attract bugs. To me that would be a benefit. Might be worth looking into.
red apparently doesn't attract bugs near as much. also doesn't screw your night vision with light blindness near as much

red apparently doesn't attract bugs near as much. also doesn't screw your night vision with light blindness near as much

My LED headllamp has white light. Found out scorpions could not see the light and were easy to kill. I have a LED flashlight w/white light. Illuminate a scorpion with that and it heads for cover.

Great replies...please keep ‘em coming. And a fire is always my first choice as well but as you’ve likely heard, much of the country isn’t super acceptant of setting fires right now.

I picked up a Goal Zero Lighthouse 400 lantern and three of their Crush Lights. The lantern is usb chargeable, as well as a hand crank charger for emergencies. Never had to use the crank feature yet, but the lantern has worked great, and has a feature to use half (180 degrees) or full 360. But the crush lights have really come in handy. You can set them on a table or use the integrated hanger, very handy. Their usb and solar chargeable, so you can fold them flat and throw them on the dash during the day, ready to go in the evening. At 20 bucks per, a pretty good deal and have held up well so far.
And then of course a headlamp...and a raging fire 🔥

I picked up a Goal Zero Lighthouse 400 lantern and three of their Crush Lights. The lantern is usb chargeable, as well as a hand crank charger for emergencies. Never had to use the crank feature yet, but the lantern has worked great, and has a feature to use half (180 degrees) or full 360. But the crush lights have really come in handy. You can set them on a table or use the integrated hanger, very handy. Their usb and solar chargeable, so you can fold them flat and throw them on the dash during the day, ready to go in the evening. At 20 bucks per, a pretty good deal and have held up well so far.
And then of course a headlamp...and a raging fire 🔥
Cool. Just ordered a crush and mini lantern. The larger lantern was out of stock

Last edited:

I don't yet have one of these, but it is on the list. I would only use it for cooking, but it seems like a lot of light.

Reactions: MoJ
I do like this little inflatable and solar light MPOWERD Luci Lux: Solar Inflatable Lantern
the light color is warm.
it's nice to have on the table while eating or throw it in the tent
collapses nice and flat too

I also have a coleman lantern which is bright but i find it more of a hassle than all the new battery powered lights

The mini led lanterns that collapse are good. I also use small led lights that look like lite bulbs from amazon. Do not put out a lot of light but good for in side a rtt etc. Has a clip so it can hang.

Reactions: MoJ
The mini led lanterns that collapse are good. I also use small led lights that look like lite bulbs from amazon. Do not put out a lot of light but good for in side a rtt etc. Has a clip so it can hang.
you just reminded me I use a usb powered light bulb thing too inside my tent. i realize it's a few years old now but this one has a warm light so it's much more comforting Amazon.com: Onite 20-US24USB3W-WW USB Camping, Also for Garage Warehouse Car Truck Fishing Boat Outdoor Portable LED Bulb, Emergency Light, or Children Bed Lamp, WarmWhite, Warm White: Home Improvement

If solo camping I just use an old Dietz karosene lantern and a head lamp. If Mrs. skidplate is with me we have Coleman lantern, and numerous battery powered lanterns. I always like to have a small campfire.

Ready Light

I have had a version of almost all the camp lights that are available. Everything from white gas (single/dual mantel), propane dual mantel (3x), solar Luci, 12v vehicle lights, head lamp and a few different USB varieties (rope, single light, etc). Over the years, I have found minimal need for a light if there is a fire and I have found I usually go to sleep when the sun goes down if there is no fire.

My go-to these days is the same Onite light @chudly posted.
1602255890000.png

The light output is somewhere between a soft light 60w and 75w light bulb. That is plenty of light when there is no ambient light around. I have two of these little lights and stick one inside the RTT and other is a 'porchlight' under the RTT. It is nice to have some switched exterior lighting when nature calls in the middle of the night. I didn't bother to bring another camp light on my last trip since I had these.

1602255922805.png
1602256035800.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom