Camping/Overlanding Gear and Packing Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is the way.

When we car camp dispersed, we carry mostly the same gear we carry for backpacking trips. Instead of backpacks, we use three Plano trunks. We carry a bigger tent when car camping, but the same ultralight sleeping bags and sleeping pads. I’m really into traveling light. Here are some of my favorite pieces of gear:

Backpacking gear that doubles as car camping gear. All this stuff qualifies as light or ultralight gear:
Stove: Soto Windmaster
Titanium mug & pot system from Mountain Laurel Designs (discontinued; try Lixada instead)
Titanium spork: Sea To Summit
Food-hanging system: Pro Bear Bag System (it weighs 4.7oz, glides over branches, and has a 975lb test strength)
Inflator/LED light/phone charger: FLEXTAILGEAR (weighs 5.64oz)
Car camping coffee rig: Aeropress
LED rope camp lighting (runs off any portable USB battery pack)
Nitecore LED headlamp (USB rechargeable, weighs 0.99oz, lol)
Lightweight chair: Helinox Chair Zero (weighs 1.1lb)

Non-backpacking gear:
Family sized stove: Camp Chef Everest
Lightweight table: ALPS Mountaineering
Fiskars Steel D Handle Digging Shovel
Thanks, I added a couple things on here (like the Aeropress) to my amazon wishlist... whatever fails to arrive on fathers day will arrive ~2 days later :)

Do you guys bother with bear bags when overlanding, or do you just keep everything in the vehicle (assuming you're not sleeping in it)? If we're in our trailer everything goes either into the trailer or into the truck, and I simply make sure it's not visible from the outside as I've heard bears "know" what a cooler.

This is the way.

When we car camp dispersed, we carry mostly the same gear we carry for backpacking trips. Instead of backpacks, we use three Plano trunks. We carry a bigger tent when car camping, but the same ultralight sleeping bags and sleeping pads. I’m really into traveling light. Here are some of my favorite pieces of gear:

Backpacking gear that doubles as car camping gear. All this stuff qualifies as light or ultralight gear:
Stove: Soto Windmaster
Titanium mug & pot system from Mountain Laurel Designs (discontinued; try Lixada instead)
Titanium spork: Sea To Summit
Food-hanging system: Pro Bear Bag System (it weighs 4.7oz, glides over branches, and has a 975lb test strength)
Inflator/LED light/phone charger: FLEXTAILGEAR (weighs 5.64oz)
Car camping coffee rig: Aeropress
LED rope camp lighting (runs off any portable USB battery pack)
Nitecore LED headlamp (USB rechargeable, weighs 0.99oz, lol)
Lightweight chair: Helinox Chair Zero (weighs 1.1lb)

Non-backpacking gear:
Family sized stove: Camp Chef Everest
Lightweight table: ALPS Mountaineering
Fiskars Steel D Handle Digging Shovel

I use the Flextail Gear inflator/light as well, comes in clutch when I need to inflate my sleeping pad on kayaking/motorcycle camping trips. The fact that it doubles as a lantern is nice too. An AeroPress should be a staple in the kit for anyone who drinks coffee, I never leave home without it. I just picked up a Helinox Chair Zero for camping trips as well.

Sadly the Kaon divider uses the headrest as one of its 4 mounting points, so I need the 2nd row in place. I think it will be ok though, 2nd row will likely be for clothes and dry goods and I have a cargo net I can use between the 1st and 2nd row to make sure things are secured from flying about.

I do have a small LED lantern which runs on 3 or 4 AA batteries, which is fine for sitting around the table when you're eating, but the Coleman is way brighter and much better if I actually need to see all around me. I may look for other options though. One thing about camping gear, it's easy to spend waaay too much on quality stuff, which often leads me to make do (see my original post about using a tarp instead of an awning), so if a good LED light is $20-30 I might spring for it but if it's $100 I'll probably live with whatever I have.
I have rechargeable battery lanterns from Black Diamond that are great around the dinner table, recharges off a USB cord. I use high-powered LED headlamps if I need to see far in the distance. I seem to always have a headlamp on or in my pocket around camp, they are great.

For $30 your can get a lantern that uses replaceable batteries or get the same lantern with a rechargeable battery for $60. Check out COAST EAL22, I have not used one but seems to have good reviews and priced lower than BD.

I got tired of dealing with propane lantern globes, fuel, and broken glass and the size of a coleman lantern carrying case.

Thanks, I added a couple things on here (like the Aeropress) to my amazon wishlist... whatever fails to arrive on fathers day will arrive ~2 days later :)

Do you guys bother with bear bags when overlanding, or do you just keep everything in the vehicle (assuming you're not sleeping in it)? If we're in our trailer everything goes either into the trailer or into the truck, and I simply make sure it's not visible from the outside as I've heard bears "know" what a cooler.
I have not had an issue with leaving food in a locked car camping away from campgrounds. If in a USFS/NP campground, then food goes in the bear locker they provide at the campsite.

I had an Aeropress and got rid of it.
It’s a hell of a good grip-workout pumping it, but too much work for my morning coffee.
Especially for the little shots it puts out and when I have to do it for both me and the Mrs.

I’ve gone back to my jetboil with the French press attachment.
Though the Aeropress was certainly much easier to clean than the French press.

Sometimes when I’m lazy, Starbuck’s dehydrated Via’s suffice.

(Hmmm… earlier in this thread I complained about pumping filter water. Now the Aeropress. Maybe I just need to bulk up.)

I do not keep food in the truck when camping in remote areas with bears. The food goes in bear proof containers. If no bears, then I'm good (raccoons are cleaver but no so cleaver).
I know many lock the food in the truck. But I would rather be left without fresh food for a few days (cans will do) than have the truck trashed by a hungry bear. Even if the hungry bear cannot get to the food it will scratch the paint and damage doors.

Do you guys bother with bear bags when overlanding, or do you just keep everything in the vehicle (assuming you're not sleeping in it)?
It depends. Remote dispersed camping in bear country, yeah I still hang everything that isn’t in a sealed cooler inside the vehicle. I will also bring a good bear box as well. Just stuff it with food, toiletries, anything that has an odor, and leave it on the ground 200yd from your campsite.

My wife and I did a 10-day 5,000 mile trip to Death Valley about 2 years ago. I remember a few weeks before we went I basically took all of our gear and packed it in the 80 series. I moved things around until I was happy where everything ended up. I then took some simple photos of how I had packed things so I could recreate the layout when it was time to go. I figured the day/night before we left was not the time to be optimizing how things were packed.

For our clothes I ended up putting it all in one of the 108qt Plano Trunks. The trunk ended up being perfect. I also got another trunk the same size to hold lots of miscellaneous things. Like zip ties, extra oil, duct tape...... Things I wanted to be sure to take and have a place for but wouldn't need them very often.

I also had three of the Front Runner Wolf Pack boxes. They stack very nicely and are a good size for anyone to carry around. Had one for any dry food, one for cooking gear like pans, plates, utensils and anything related to cooking a meal. Also another box that had some 5v USB powered fans, camco water filter, shovel, LED lantern and other items.

I remember making a list on my phone since I always had it around incase I thought of something i needed to add.

I ended up not forgetting anything and the cruiser stayed nicely organized the entire trip.

Ive gone the LED lantern route, and still rock them and agree. They are great. I started working with a company a couple years ago that sells a small magnet LED/Strobe/Flood light. They did not target an audience how I saw the product. Tried pitching my idea to them and never heard back....I still use their product because its good and useful. I use it for my intended purposes and sell it to other as such lol. They are called Guardian Angel Lights. I wanted the option of RED flood lights at night- 1 for bugs, 2 for ease on eyes, 3 for stealth, the option to have a strobe for road side help, snow recovery etc while NOT being hard mounted to the car to draw attention. You can get all color combos. I have been a huge fan of orange or red with white. Gives me both options, and with their mounts. I now use it as a headlamp also. I just stick them to the side of my truck when I get to camp, I also have a mount for my dog for a small one so I can see him. They say the visibility is 2+ miles. I have been 1 mile and was able to see it, the horizon got in the way after that. I was able to sell a few to my local SWAT team, since they have a infrared version as well. VERY nice for multiple reasons.....I get this sounds like the biggest sales pitch ever, I seriously do not work for the company. All I have is a discount code for 10% off (965Clip) and I love their products that much....lol. They have been invaluable when in groups if the dust gets bad, strobe up and continue on. Battery life they claim is 6-8hrs. I dont think straight they last that, I do get 5hrs out of them which is more than enough for me for the size. Also have one stuck to my fridge for power outages, being it has the magnet backer. I can sandwich it between my shirt as well and use it like a headlamp. Thats with 1 larger light, while I Still have my trusty lantern

20210519_225339.jpg

20210519_223345.jpg

I agree about ditching the propane lantern and going LED. Black Diamond makes several small ones in the $30 - 50 range. both battery and rechargable.
i also take a Silky Big Boy folding saw everywhere.
big fan of the aeropress. i even take the small version backpacking.
i like to take a small rug (3'x5' or so) for in front of tent door
i use an Ursack in bear country. better and more convenient than hanging in trees and more compact that bear containers. when car camping, i put smelly and opened foods in it but leave toiletries in the vehicle.
a roll top table
the most luxurious item to take car camping is a good pillow

Pack heavy items in the second row area, low. This will keep the weight between the axles. Think tools, and recovery gear. The recovery equipment will be accessible from multiple doors. As for water I use two containers and 5 gallon Scepter with a RV spigot on it so I don't have to move it to fill a water bottles and a MSR dromedary 10 liter collapsible container. Easy to refill in a store. I use Front Runner boxes for storage but similar will work.

Swags are great but a bit of a hassle to roll up every day. A fast pitch 3 person ground tent with air mattress. Buy a Nemo or Exped either are high quality and comfortable. I think I like the Exped better.

A backpacking stove for quick boiling water, especially for making coffee. Look on buy and sell or craigslist for a used fridge, coolers and cooler soup suck on long trips, really they suck on all trips.

For a saw look at these! Gave my Sven Saw (bow saw) to my daughter when I bought this. No set up, open it like a pocket knife.

Amazon product ASIN B0B3WBC98H

Pack heavy items in the second row area, low. This will keep the weight between the axles. Think tools, and recovery gear. The recovery equipment will be accessible from multiple doors. As for water I use two containers and 5 gallon Scepter with a RV spigot on it so I don't have to move it to fill a water bottles and a MSR dromedary 10 liter collapsible container. Easy to refill in a store. I use Front Runner boxes for storage but similar will work.

Swags are great but a bit of a hassle to roll up every day. A fast pitch 3 person ground tent with air mattress. Buy a Nemo or Exped either are high quality and comfortable. I think I like the Exped better.

A backpacking stove for quick boiling water, especially for making coffee. Look on buy and sell or craigslist for a used fridge, coolers and cooler soup suck on long trips, really they suck on all trips.

For a saw look at these! Gave my Sven Saw (bow saw) to my daughter when I bought this. No set up, open it like a pocket knife.

I bought my Silky on your recommendation :) works awesome.
I do like my Swag - quick and easy for one person, but no room to stand up in or hang out when the weather is crap. I will be getting a shifted mini to replace my RV-5, and using it along with my Helinox cot, and pad soon. The RV-5 I also have is heavy and has to be roof loaded, it goes up in 30 seconds but then you have to do pegs, and all the other stuff which takes a lot more time both ways.

I would recommend packing light, think more as a backpacker than a car camper.

This is 100% the solution.

Outside of stuff required for the vehicle (tools, parts, fuel/etc) if you start with the assumption that everything you need must fit in your average internal frame backpack all problems are solved.

If that is your starting point then you have plenty of room to throw in a handful of comfort/convenience item and secure them properly so they are not a safety issue.

Stuff banging around isnt just a safety issue in a vehicle they also make a trip annoying/irritating and detract from what should be an enjoyable experience.

Meal hack.

As one that enjoys hot meals on the go, here's a gadget I find invaluable. Simplifies and opens up meal options away from civilization. Probably not great for frozen meals but anything pre-cooked and chilled can be easily heated up with minimal logistics and cleanup.

There's a bazillion versions of these truckers lunch boxes from soft to hardsided.

Amazon product ASIN B074TZKCCV

They work great for frozen meals as well, just takes a bit longer. I will grab a few burritos from the local spot, freeze them and then throw one in the Hot Logic in the morning and have a perfect lunch a few hours later. I've also used it for frozen Stouffer's Lasagna.

I bought my Silky on your recommendation :) works awesome.
I do like my Swag - quick and easy for one person, but no room to stand up in or hang out when the weather is crap. I will be getting a shifted mini to replace my RV-5, and using it along with my Helinox cot, and pad soon. The RV-5 I also have is heavy and has to be roof loaded, it goes up in 30 seconds but then you have to do pegs, and all the other stuff which takes a lot more time both ways.

I am surprised that you're willing to give up the OzTent for a different option. Sure, it's heavy and long when stored so it requires the roof loading or a truck bed but it's far superior to most anything else out there. Setup is fast IMHO and most anything will need to be properly staked out beyond a 5-10 mph wind. I can put mine up with the peaked awning and ground tarp in under 10 minutes at a leisure pace, the canopy itself is literally a 30 second or less setup and I can take it down and pack it away in half that time. I'd suggest keeping it around until you've found that your alternative is superior in every way, it's always good to have options.

Y8my4hx.jpg

The question is can you make cookies in them?
They work great for frozen meals as well, just takes a bit longer. I will grab a few burritos from the local spot, freeze them and then throw one in the Hot Logic in the morning and have a perfect lunch a few hours later. I've also used it for frozen Stouffer's Lasagna. can you

Whether I'm car camping or backpacking, I always have:

Steripen
Jetboil and canisters
Fire kit
Med kit
Multitool
Whistle and GPS

Everything else is gravy and depends on the trip.

This may border on indulgent, but has some great practicality. I'll spend more on gear that keeps excellent utility with compactness.

Pillows can take some good space, especially when I travel with all 4 family members. Here's a compromise of a great pillow, but also one that can be compacted within its own protective sleeve.

Amazon product ASIN B082116CML

Nice saw. I need one in my kit. Ordered :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom