camcruisers ram assist write up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well it was finally time to get my lazy butt in gear and start my ram assist,

it was fairly tricky, i am running 4x4labs 6stud hysteer and as we all know the tie rod is behind the axle so mounting the ram was a pita i thought. so here we go.

hysteer pics
04-03-07_2207.jpg
100_0206.jpg
ram assist 001.jpg

next i dilly dallied for what seemed like days to come up with some sort of mounting bracket, i came up with what i thought would be the best bracket for what i am capable of welding and fabbing etc

started out with some tubing bent at 45* to get proper angles
ram assist 002.jpg

i then had to cut to fit if you will

and twist and turn to get the proper mounting possition. i held the ram in place with some bungees to get the right idea of placement. and then proceeded to make the brackettrust me when i say

easier said than done
ram assist 004.jpg
ram assist 005.jpg

i tacked the bracket in place and then tacked the tie rod end in place,

before i did this i turned my tire left to right and measured how far each way and found the center and marked it,

it was close to 3 inches each way
ram assist 007.jpg
ram assist 009.jpg
ram assist 008.jpg

i then put the ram on again and bolted it up and then had my lovely assistant turn the wheel for more each way to check clearence and make sure my measurements were close, i eneded up moving the tie rod end out a little further by a half inch.

then cycled the wheel again and got it right where i wanted it, took it all apart welded and painted the tie rod
ram assist 010.jpg
ram assist 006.jpg

tonight i will finish the following
install the new steering box, route the hoses install the new pump and clean up the rest of the bracket. i will also prvide links to where i bought the items and where i had the box tapped at etc.

what do you guys thnk, see any flaws or trouble spots?? let me know im here to learn

cam,
how are you going to secure the ram to the tie-rod?

I have seen a few drivers-side mount setups...I think yours is the first passenger-side.

cam,
how are you going to secure the ram to the tie-rod?

I have seen a few drivers-side mount setups...I think yours is the first passenger-side.

yes it will be on the passenger, see post 5

trust me i ran through every option i could think of. it will not effect the ram or the performance if the ram is mounted on either side.

see post where i was asking this question.

its hard to tell in the pics ill get some tinight when i get it bolted up

you got enough room for hoses?

smarter than a 5th grader

Good write-up Cameron. Good expl. of how but I would like to know "why".

Not 'why' as in I'm questioning you why you would do this but 'why' as in what does this do that Saginaw doesn't?

Looks good, im going to be doing the same thing soon!

What ram did you go with?

Dgangle, Ill help answer the question.. When you get into a situation where your front tires have a lot of traction, and your front axle is locked, No conventional PS is going to be able to turn the tires unless you are moving a bit..

i was in a situation on the 4th of july where i was coming straight down some ledges and all the weight of the truck was on the front tires.. the tires would not turn at all, and this is a rebuilt box, and Brand new Pump Modified for more output.. Here us a photo.. Hydro is needed in order to turn the tires without having the truck moving.

110_1045.jpg

Last edited:
isotel hit it on the head, and im locked up front and need more power to turn the meats, the saginaw is fine but in some situations it just doesnt turn the tires

Good write-up Cameron. Good expl. of how but I would like to know "why".

Not 'why' as in I'm questioning you why you would do this but 'why' as in what does this do that Saginaw doesn't?

Hydro assist is one of the best things I have done to my truck, saginaw got maxed out pretty easy, with a 1.75" ram on there I can almost always steer, aside from when I have a tire in a crack and things are going to break if I steer. Now I just a need a pump that can keep up with the baja :skull: steering is a little slow.

are you guys with rams running a bigger cooler, i gt just a wee one, on now thinking of swapping in a bigger one, also for more fluid.

I tighten the knuckles every morning before I wheel, no problems as of yet. Ben is the only one in our crew that has sheared knuckle studs (arp) and he is running 44's, he is pretty sure the reason it happened is because after installing arps he neglected to tighten his knuckles regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom