Cabin Filter Change and the Recirculation Flap Issues FIXED (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, it all has to come apart.

@ttrmike

Thanks for the guide with the photos! I used this today to verify what was going on with my circ/recirc system. A month ago I changed the cabin filter and made the error of pushing back the HVAC cover without knowing it was connected to a servo motor. When I continued to smell outside air when the recirc button was engaged, I knew something was amiss. When I looked inside the unit two weeks ago, I realized the hinge was not connected.

A few hours ago I was able to pull the glove box and knee airbag away from the dash. I saw the hinge fully intact and that it simply slipped out of the joint and off the servo motor! I consider this a blessing from God! I re-attached the hinge and re-installed the glove box/air bag. It's working as designed.

I also used this time to run wires for my 4-side dash cam system (Blackvue) because the auxiliary battery (Blackvue) will be placed inside the glove box.

To those who've damaged the hinge/cover/servo, I share your frustration with the design of this system and I hope you can find a solution soon.

IMO the most frustrating part of this is that it is so often caused by toyota technicians, and usually not discovered until long after fault can be proven. For many people the primary reason they bring their cars to the dealer for service is they supposedly know that car better than anyone. Well...

IMO the most frustrating part of this is that it is so often caused by toyota technicians, and usually not discovered until long after fault can be proven. For many people the primary reason they bring their cars to the dealer for service is they supposedly know that car better than anyone. Well...
Exactly what happened to me.

I locked the glove box and installed this before I dropped it off for the recall. I asked them not to do anything else, not even a free wash. The security lock was just cut, bent and stuck into the lock and U.S Customs may have helped. It did it’s job, they still pulled the wheels to ck the brakes and 50 other things but did not mess with the glove box.
482DA3C8-66CC-459A-82A6-5DD1B496BA16.jpeg

That's a clever way to keep them out.

I tell the service writer I do not want them to touch the cabin filter (they note it on the ticket). I also lock the glovebox, and take the physical key part of the fob with me, so they can't open it. That seems effective too, in case you don't have access to tsa/customs lockout tags.

Bears repeating... Someone here has created a warning label that is infinitely better than the factory one. I dont have a pic but when I took my LC in for the seatbelt recall, I had the warning label, blue masking tape over the filter door with FILTER IS FINE. DO NOT OPEN in bold black sharpie, locked the glovebox, and another even wider piece of tape on the outside of the glovebox.

Yep, it is a great label. I bought one and put it on the filter access door. With any luck, no dealer tech will ever get that far.

Although I love the label, and it makes me feel like I have taken action, I have 0% confidence that that would even slow most techs.

Lock the door, don't leave a physical key, and don't lose sleep.

Still, a customs seal would be very cool

Part of my dash cam installation this week involved including an auxiliary to record when the Cruiser is parked. I put the battery and cables in the glove box in front of the cabin filter access door.

Here is a pic of the battery and cables:
Dash 1.JPG

Then I put this sign in front of it. I might make the sign smaller down the road. But for now, I think I'm covered:
Dash 2.JPG

I just fixed mine today. I popped the door up the first week I bought it so it went 10 years before I broke it. Luckily it just popped back in. I also ran my dash cam wire behind the glovebox when it was out. I am not sure where these connectors go.

IMG_20191109_163824.jpg

IMG_20191109_171741.jpg

99Cruiser, I had the same wires looking at me this morning when I took mine apart. Comforting to know mine is not the only one with these just hanging there. Maybe the de-icer that I don't have?

I don't recall any loose wires on my '13... But maybe I just didn't notice them?

Picked up a 2016 last week. 1 owner, all service performed by Toyota every 5k miles. Full service records on CarFax and Toyota Service Website. I drove it back 11 hours from Texas to GA, noticed an outside air smell when re-circulation mode was on. My wife has been driving car for 3 days now. She called and informed me, she too could smell exterior air in re-circulation mode. Did a quick search and stumbled on this thread. I've been reading up for the past day on all the repairs and challenges others faced. Thanks for the detailed write up. I am out of town right now, but will investigate when I get back and report my findings. Fingers crossed the pin has just popped out and nothing broken.

Flap was broken at the hole. Only a small piece broke off, but was enough for the rod to spin freely. I was able to gorilla glue then inside of the opening and secure it to the rod. Now the flap is operating with the motor when button is pressed. Let’s see how long it lasts. My 2016 has the factory warning label on the cover, yet it did not stop the Toyota service tech from breaking it. Thanks again for the detailed write up.

Flap was broken at the hole. Only a small piece broke off, but was enough for the rod to spin freely. I was able to gorilla glue then inside of the opening and secure it to the rod. Now the flap is operating with the motor when button is pressed. Let’s see how long it lasts. My 2016 has the factory warning label on the cover, yet it did not stop the Toyota service tech from breaking it. Thanks again for the detailed write up.

how did you reach/apply the glue? I’m not sure I can get my hands in there.
did you glue the broken piece on or just glue the rod back to the hole?

I just glued the rod in the hole. First I lifted the flap up and off the rod which exposed the hole opening. Then I used a chopstick and put a drop of glue on the end. Strategically placed each drop of gorilla glue on the inside of the hole. Then placed the opening down and sitting on the rod. I was able to get my finger the rod and hold it firm from the bottom. I did all of this with the recir button pressed so the flap opening lines up with the rod.

5 minute epoxy has a syringe type applicator with about a 3" tip on it. once you've cleaned off the lube that Toyota puts on there, I put some tape around the joint and slathered the whole thing in plastic safe epoxy. Works like a charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom