Burning smell from 2000 cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just went out on a small trip to town and when we got back there was a very distinct burning smell coming from the engine, it almost seemed to come from somewhere around the charcoal canister, to me it smelled like burning food maybe dogfood that a mouse had up in it or even a burning mouse. cant find any evidence of either, i know this is kind of a weird thing to ask about but does anyone have any ideas, also for what it is worth beside the charcoal canister about 1 inch section of the wiring harness looks burnt. thanks

i'll try my best to get a pic. its in a very tight spot and i have been having a problem posting pics on here. they are always to big i think.

Sounds like you cooked a critter..if you find it fast enough it may still be fresh! :cheers:

Dan, thats what i really think it may be b/c as bad as this sounds it smell like burning flesh even though i have never smelled that it seems like thats what it smell like. nevertheless i will try to get an engine shot of where there may have been a burn just incase.

Ok we'll see if this picture works, it may be to big. nevertheless you can probably see it is the spot on the harness that is kind of grayish. its very hard to get to so i couldnt tell what it was, it may just be the remnanst of black electrical tape that was on there. not sure. damn i cant get this picture to work. its 622kb and not allowed to excide 90kb. how do i resize it so i can post it on here.

I use Photoshop but there is another that you can download off the web at www.hamrick.com. I think you get a few days free trial. Small program that really works nice. It is VuePrint.

The water mark only affects your viewing of the photo, it will post fine. This progarm also adjust color levels nicely through the keypad to help out some bad photography

ok, i'll try and give it another shot through photo shop. A LITTLE update on the 100. wont even start now, its totally dead, the battery is fine but everything is dead. please help, just bought this 2wks ago.

Save the pic as jpg i/o of bitmap

or change the resolution size on your camera to the smallest level vaible and re shoot.
Dave

WOW, i feel like an idiot, all this time when i was writing this stuff i hadnt checked the car out, went out just now, turns out battery was dead. mom left the lights on. sorry guys. and i guess the burning was a rodent, i hope at least.

the burning smell is still there and i think it may be coming from the charcoal canister. what do you think?

Doubtful, that would be more likely to generate a raw fuel odor.

What do you smell burning? Oil, coolant, wire insulation, toast, steak?

Any arson investigator will tell you that is an important clue to assist in determining the source.

Since your wife caused the battery to fail she should be included in this test. :D Cut some of her hair off and take it to the garage, burn it in a safe location and see if this is the same smell that is coming from the engine compartment ::) If it smells close to the same then your wife must of also run over someone and their hair caught on fire :whoops: If that does not work keep burning different things in the garage until you duplicate the smell or the fire department shows up. :slap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom