Built for Comfort (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm on my forth 80 series, the first was partially built Medium OME, spacers, and L shocks, second was stock, third was way built Heavy Slee 4" bolt it with all the goodies, and this new LX is stock. I like the stock ride but every time I drive a built one it loses all the comfort and smooth ride I like about the stock rigs. I rarely do any off roading so max articulation and max lift are the least of my worries. On this rig I'm thinking about 33's and a mild lift with all emphasis on ride quality, quietness, and smoothness over pot holes etc.

Has anyone built a rig up like this? It is a non-locked LX450.

What are you guys ideas for this?

There's no point in getting a lift for these rigs unless you plan on using it :meh:

Stock height is more than adequate for most uses :)

I'm running 33's and a TON of weight (loaded rack, plate front bumper, dual rear swing outs, two winches, etc. etc.) and I'm slightly above stock ride height with 2" MT spacers up front and a pair of 860's and bags out back :cool:

I plan on getting softer shocks and replacing the KM2's with quieter Duratracs, but would like to step up to 35's to fill a wells a little better :hmm:

Shocks are really going to depend on your budget. I have had good luck with the bilstein 7100's, Fox's and Kings, and it looks liks Slee has a shock built specificially for the 80, that I am sure is going to be very good. The key is that they are adjustable or that you get them valved for the type of ride you are looking for.

Keep in mind that shocks/springs are only part of the equation. Tires play a huge part in ride comfort and should be thought of as part of the suspension system.

Another thing that folks overlook are the bushings. I prefer the OEM rubber over anything else. It will transmit less road noise and vibration to the chassis.

Over the last 2 years I have replaced every bushing on the truck with new OEM rubber. I replaced all body mounts with OEM. This made a huge difference in ride comfort and sound level.

I understand the theory behind suspension, so what about some specifit combinations, like some terra graplers or stock LTX, TJM adjustable shocks $90pair and medium springs or just a spacer.. Throw some combos out there that would give me what I'm looking for.

Tries:
Shocks:
Springs:
etc:

Well like was mentioned before, every step you make towards making the truck more able offroad you give up some comfort on rode. It is up to you what level you are going to be comfortable with. Not to mention that at the taller heights spring rates that are comfortable at stock height might be scary. And I feel the same way with tires, some SUV manufactures are putting "P" rated tires on them and 1/2 ton trucks because they ride smoother, but have much less ability offroad, and and much less resistant to damage.

I would say if you are going to use this truck on gravel roads, bad conditions etc I would go with:

285/75 all terrain tires with a D load rating
stock springs if they aren't sagging too bad with 25mm and 30mm spacers
and a good shock call Slee.

Subscribed.

I also like the ride of my stock LX450 and would like a small lift. Super comfy shocks are my goal, along with some low lift springs.

On my cars I always run Koni dampers for their performance and handling, but most importantly their ride comfort. If Koni made a bolt-on solution for a 60mm lift I'd get it right away.

Currently I'm planning on OME mediums and probably Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks. I don't have the budget for the Slee 2.5" reservoir shock setup.

Last edited:
I think this is the first time in Mud history that the community has talked someone into not spending money.

I think this is the first time in Mud history that the community has talked someone into not spending money.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. You can always donate to my cruiser fund, while leaving your stocker completely setup the way you asked :flipoff2:

I really love my OME 861/862 stock height springs. I went with Bilstein 4600 shocks but they're pretty harsh. The E-rated Duratracs don't help with that, either... If I were to do it all over again I would probably just go with OEM shocks with the same OME 861/862 springs. The Duratracs are pretty awesome, I don't think I could ever give them up...

I really love my OME 861/862 stock height springs. I went with Bilstein 4600 shocks but they're pretty harsh. The E-rated Duratracs don't help with that, either... If I were to do it all over again I would probably just go with OEM shocks with the same OME 861/862 springs. The Duratracs are pretty awesome, I don't think I could ever give them up...

Thanks, I've also had a pair of DT on my 93 and loved them.

Subscribed.

I also like the ride of my stock LX450 and would like a small lift. Super comfy shocks are my goal, along with some low lift springs.

On my cars I always run Koni dampers for their performance and handling, but most importantly their ride comfort. If Koni made a bolt-on solution for a 60mm lift I'd get it right away.

Currently I'm planning on OME mediums and probably Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks. I don't have the budget for the Slee 2.5" setup.

I'd get the "stock" lift OME springs 2ELO has mentioned, with OME shocks. They're actually about 1" lift, according to Slee. Someone was selling a rig with this lift and it looked about perfect for 33" tires to me.

would be nice to start knowing the factory spring rate and shock valving as base knowledge .. I'm believer on progressive coils .. sadly we don't have many options around that path ..

Other path ( the real expensive one ) it's just coilovers .. ;)

I am Ironman?

Everyone---

Has he lost his mind?
Can he see or is he blind?
Can he walk at all
Or if he moves will he fall?

Okay:rolleyes:

My vote is Ironman 2" performance lift and, since you like the stock ride and wont be offroading hard, I would match it with new stock Tokico shocks (you wont be using the max wheel travel) and the TJM 2.5 inch caster correction bushings (because they are rubber not the harder poly).

Like 2 E L O, I like my 861/862 set-up. Everything else applicable is in my sig line, except the shocks. I run OME Nitrrocharger Sports upfront, with the stock Tokicos in the rear. It rides well, without being harsh.

If you have less weight up front than I do, then Tokicos will work all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom