Building An 80 Series Rearend For Desert Racing On A Budget. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone running these ARP wheel studs in an 80 hub? They about an inch longer, nice for the KMC beadlocks.
They fit good in the hub but the shoulder is a little shorter it doesn't make it all the way to the other side of the flange.
IMG_20181207_114658.jpg
IMG_20181207_114725.jpg

That wouldn't concern me me at all, it's in tension to the back of the hub with the lug nut. It's probably better material then the original studs too.

Are you going to be upgrading axle shafts?

That wouldn't concern me me at all, it's in tension to the back of the hub with the lug nut. It's probably better material then the original studs too.

Are you going to be upgrading axle shafts?

I feel the same about the studs. They are fitting nicely.

Yep got some Nitros.

So where’s the budget part about this build? :flipoff2:

I ran the FZJ80 rear housing with my dana 300 for a while, probably about a year. Had no issues with it at any time daily driving.

Per @cruisermatt suggestion we upgraded to the ARP 7/16 20
This forced me to true up my drill press to dead nuts and this is an easy upgrade, just some extra care getting the tap just right
IMG_20181220_130249.jpg
. Thanks for the advice Matt!

For reference for other folks doing this
IMG_20181220_131504.jpg

10.5” is 6-lug?

Make sure you drill your spare shafts too!!

One tip or trick that works for me is tap as far as you can with a tapered tap then finish it up with a bottom ended tap. Helps get it straight easier and makes the final threads in the bottom easy to cut.
IMG_20181220_145637.jpg

im curious to see what you kill off first with the pedal to the metal...

Me too, hopefully not during the race. This truck has seen a lot of action. Been in 4 KOH races, finished 3 of them, been in 3 Nationals races. Countless hours testing ( my hardest crash in this thing was in a testing session. ) bunches of trail wheeling.
We are on V3 of the front end and v2 of the rear end.

One tip or trick that works for me is tap as far as you can with a tapered tap then finish it up with a bottom ended tap. Helps get it straight easier and makes the final threads in the bottom easy to cut.View attachment 1859467
Tap holder usually has a hole in back so after you drill hole and before you move anything, put a center drill or something in drill chuck..bring down to meet tap holder and keep pressure down as you tap. will keep the tap from going on an angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom