Building a Shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Currently in the planning stages of building a shop, ~32'x60' (form factor is a constraint due to shape of lot) post building with 14 foot walls. Single 2 post lift.

Having never done this before, does anyone have any recommendations for things I should be considering that wouldn't be immediately apparent to someone who has never done this before? Things you wish you had done differently?

Thanks

more is better. run electrical in pad(underground) in conduit. don't forget compressed air or insulation or natural light...I'm sure you are already covering these bases, and that others will have better advice than me...GL!

OH, and don't forget to calculate for circuit distance/load; VOLTAGE DROP!!!

Ditto bump this ... looking for a bay with room for lift... is that like ... 16' ceiling, 15x34' space?

I am noodling garage options and starting with replacement of 1929 out building and squeezing 5 bays and workshop for wood/ metal and apt and office upstairs... any examples of muddy peoples garages? I've been trolling all the example plans and combining ideas to determine cost. Budget and zoning issues. At min looking for just garages. We have motorcycles and cars and the LC.

Ditto bump this ... looking for a bay with room for lift... is that like ... 16' ceiling, 15x34' space?

Manufacturers typically say minimum is 12’ ceiling, 12’ wide, by 24’ deep:
Symmetric-Asymmetric-Lifts.gif

From there, just figure how much extra you want to be able to walk around it.

GarageJournal.com has a lot of GREAT folks who can also give some ideas/suggestions/etc.

I second the GarageJournal as a reference source, I built a 26 x 40 (also constrained by setbacks) a few years back and there were a ton of helpful ideas on there. Depending on your zoning getting a high ceiling is great, I ended up with just more than 13' above the floor and then went with W trusses with a 2x12 chord so I've got 12' wide and tall attic rated at 90lb/ sqft for storage.

Last edited:
Tell me more about the in floor heat and boiler. What is the cost to install at build time and what do you think the fuel consumption will be.

I always advise to install the tubing in the slab if there is any possibility of using it in the future. As Douglas states, the tubing is cheap and easy to put in - even if you never end up using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom