Builds Build #2 - 45 Extended Cab, 80 Frame, iForce 5.7 3UR (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After letting the paint dry over night, time to put the engine back in -

View attachment 3218355

Everything lined up great and it set in without any issues -

View attachment 3218360

Fuel tank, rear driveline, and exhaust are all in as well -

View attachment 3218361

View attachment 3218362

View attachment 3218363
Great build. Interested to see how you mounted OEM tank behind the rear coils and how low does it hang below the frame? Additional pics would be great! Doing an FJ140 build and trying to do similar

Great build. Interested to see how you mounted OEM tank behind the rear coils and how low does it hang below the frame? Additional pics would be great! Doing an FJ140 build and trying to do similar
I used the OEM 80 series skid plate as a cradle to hold the tank in place. The skid plate is welded to some cross members directly to the frame.

Here are a couple pictures of the clearance. It would have to be a pretty steep drop off to make contact with the tank. I feel pretty good about it.

20230330_145336.jpg

20230330_145355.jpg

I used the OEM 80 series skid plate as a cradle to hold the tank in place. The skid plate is welded to some cross members directly to the frame.

Here are a couple pictures of the clearance. It would have to be a pretty steep drop off to make contact with the tank. I feel pretty good about it.

View attachment 3286751

View attachment 3286752
Thanks!!! Looks great. So about 4” hang below frame?

Thanks!!! Looks great. So about 4” hang below frame?
Yeah, probably 4-5" I'd say. I trimmed some metal on the bottom of the truck bed so I could raise the tank above the frame a bit. It's probably 1-2" proud of top of the frame.

View attachment 3286751

View attachment 3286752
So if you want to take the tank out you have to do it by removing the bed?

Nice! Any more updates coming on your build?
Yes sir, more updates in about a week. Just wrapping up a last minute project we decided to do before this summer...

Wife really wanted a pool... As with our other projects, I decided to do most of it ourselves.

The beginning -

20230125_140048.jpg

Making progress -

20230204_170522.jpg

About 18" down we hit solid caliche, which for those not from the desert area, is essentially natural occurring concrete. So, the majority of the dig was done with a jackhammer. It was a TON of work -

20230216_165106.jpg

Wife and I also did the electrical and plumbing ourselves. We hired out rebar, shotcrete, tile and decking.

Rebar -
20230308_155457.jpg

Plumbing -

20230303_165715.jpg

Last edited:
You’re on a different level when it comes to tackling your own projects! Great work!!
Thank you. I have a really hard time paying for something to be done when I can possibly lean it and do it myself. Every person I talked to about digging the pool said absolutely do not attempt it on my own, which made me want to try it even more. It was challenging but I just took my time. A backhoe is definitely not the most efficient tool for that job either.

My neighbor a few houses down is building a pool as well, and he hired everything out. I was fortunate enough to be able to watch his excavators, plumbers, electricians, etc. I learned a lot from them, and probably would not have attempted to do my own had I not used them as a resource. Even watching the simple things like them using a propane torch to bend PVC and conduit was so valuable.

Thank you. I have a really hard time paying for something to be done when I can possibly lean it and do it myself. Every person I talked to about digging the pool said absolutely do not attempt it on my own, which made me want to try it even more. It was challenging but I just took my time. A backhoe is definitely not the most efficient tool for that job either.

My neighbor a few houses down is building a pool as well, and he hired everything out. I was fortunate enough to be able to watch his excavators, plumbers, electricians, etc. I learned a lot from them, and probably would not have attempted to do my own had I not used them as a resource. Even watching the simple things like them using a propane torch to bend PVC and conduit was so valuable.

I'm exactly the same- when I'm told I cannot or should not do something, there's something inside me that says "challenge accepted!"

I'm mostly Finnish. My mom claims it's genetic and Finnish folks cannot help but prove they can do something when challenged. The Fins have a word- Sisu, which as I understand it, loosely translates to the capacity of a person to achieve things that are believed beyond thier capabilities.

I like the concept of Sisu.

Very nice work on the pool!

Just read the last 22 pages, hungry for more!
Thank you for sharing.

So let's see here.... where was I?

After much deliberation, I've decided I want to run a hard top on this thing. I still want a soft top, but I think it will be occasional use only.

My extended cab is about 20.5 inches shorter than an FJ40, so I had to cut out that section -

20230913_144512 (1).jpg

Test fitting -

20230913_145127 (1).jpg

20230913_151641.jpg

I wanted to get everything sand blasted to make sure I was working with good metal -

20230918_111750.jpg

Since I am only using the rear hatch for a fixed window panel, I don't need the header piece above it. I was going to use 2x3 square tubing, but it bothered me how the bottom of the windows all line up but the top of the hatch window was shorter than the others. Luckily, I had an extra hatch laying around with a rusted out bottom.

20230918_160553.jpg

20230918_160600.jpg

After getting that upper piece blasted, stitching them together -

20230921_110338.jpg

That's the look I was going for -

20230921_135055.jpg

20230921_135228.jpg

Cutting up the fiberglass top... Making sure the lines were straight on a curved surface -

20230921_141721.jpg

That's one of the best 'proportioned' 40 ute chops I've seen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom