Brittle alternator plug disintegrated. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BullElk

SILVER Star
Threads
Where to get the plug to connect to new alternator?

Common part or dealer only?

Also, any idea what brand old alternator is here?

Thanks

40C01458-D419-4E04-A6EC-5956CFCEDF70.jpeg
72B7E58D-C19E-492D-A1D6-445A7723980A.jpeg

Thank you. Any idea of the brand of the alternator it does say remanufactured but I do not remember the brand

Wow. Dealer says the housing is only available by buying entire engine harness. Rats!

You can buy the plastic housing separate from the dealer for just a couple dollars. Pretty easy fix, no splicing needed old connectors just snap into the plug! See the post below for the toyota part number in the picture. Just make sure you get the wires back in the correct locations in the plug.
Real time help alternator plug wiring colors

Best of luck

Wow. Dealer says the housing is only available by buying entire engine harness. Rats!

I always recommend folks have the replacement connector on hand before starting an alternator replacement IF it the first time it has been done. All too often we read of a replacement being halted/delayed because the factory connector crumbles when being removed.

Also because of where the alternator and wiring live...it is best to solder the spice and heat shrink it or use the weather proof (heat shrinkable) butt connectors.

The earlier 100's use a connector that is oval shaped. Later models use one that is sort of rectangular.
ALTERNATOR REPAIR PLUG HARNESS 3-WIRE FOR LEXUS LX470 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 4.7L | eBay

ALTERNATOR REPAIR PLUG 4-WIRE PIGTAIL CONNECTOR TOYOTA LAND CRUISER LEXUS LX470 | eBay

I purchased mine off of Ebay...but they might be available at certain Auto Parts Stores as well.

LX470 alt conn.jpg

Last edited:
@flintknapper good advice. I just replaced the brushes and had a hell of a time getting the plug to pop back in after applying the dielectric grease. Started sweating bullets but got it back on. If I ever touch the alternator again, I'll buy one of those.

I called the dealer back with the part number to the housing that @Tres Toys kindly provided. They had it in stock and I bought it for $10.53. Now I am trying to simply plug the three wires in. Two snap right in but the white wire doesn't want to be so easy.

Aren't all three metal ends exactly the same? Does the white wire need to be oriented differently that the other two?

Finally got alternator on. Showing a little more than 14 volts running now.

Now off to look for a barbed hose connector....even though it seemed to run fine without it.

Ginormous appreciation for the help from dudes better than me. Thanks

Thanks for posting this part number @flintknapper. Ordered one in advance of needing to do my alt here in a few months.

It's a very common thing to experience (brittle connector)...so I always recommend having one on hand before starting the job (time permitting). IF it turns out you don't need it.....great, you have a spare for not much money.

Finally got alternator on. Showing a little more than 14 volts running now.

Now off to look for a barbed hose connector....even though it seemed to run fine without it.

Ginormous appreciation for the help from dudes better than me. Thanks
How did you end up getting the pins to snap in? I can't get a single one to clip in. I have a pigtail on order, but I'd prefer to use the OEM part.

How did you end up getting the pins to snap in? I can't get a single one to clip in. I have a pigtail on order, but I'd prefer to use the OEM part.
I have no idea what I did. I read over the thread and barely remember any of this. Sorry.

If my memory serves me correct, the metal connectors should have a catch that locks them into the plastic plug housing when they are fully inserted. I believe that they will only latch in one way, so if you have the metal connectors oriented upside down, they won't lock in. Best of luck!

A bit delayed, but the alternator plug has a tab/snap that pulls out (opposite side of where wires would run into). The locking tab is located in the center of the plug.

Pull this little tab/snap out using a dental pic. The tab/snap locks the wires into place. This tab should be removed prior to de-pinning the plug, and reinstalled after new wire ends are inserted into plug.

Pic for details. Red arrow is on locking tab (that is partially pulled out of plug, which would be the "unlocked" position.

IMG_6106.jpg

crtx you are a LIFESAVER! I've been chasing my tail on this since it died in January. Attaching some photos for the next guy that comes along. Pop the little white tab out with a pick or needle nose pliers and the connectors snap right in.

I ended up pulling the entire alternator harness up topside, but in the end I didn't need to.

Also, I found it better to just take the power steering pulley off, and not the entire pump (though I did originally replace the pump and reservoir, as I think the leaky power steering contributed to the alternator dying). Make sure to loosen the nut on the PS pulley before removing the belt!

Also adding a diagram I found that was super helpful in rewiring. I'll try to find it again when it's not midnight so I can credit the original poster.

75D94A97-EB7F-4EF3-9AB8-BED006F1D8DF.jpeg

3170A920-F25E-477A-9412-ED0B35E46886.jpeg

D4EC4636-E4E0-48B3-AF22-3371A780FF35.jpeg

F4535243-8085-48F9-A7EA-10E7DFD1EEE9.jpeg

82FD7AF3-5A2B-44B4-93E9-151BB2E689F9.jpeg

What am I missing here? I just got a high output alternator and this is the connection on the back it doesn't look anything like what it's supposed to. Should I return it? Otherwise it's a pretty good 250 amp alternator from Tucson alternators. Looks like for the Tundra and not the Land Cruiser?
20220527_203625.jpg

Last edited:
What am I missing here? I just got a high output alternator and this is the connection on the back it doesn't look anything like what it's supposed to. Should I return it? Otherwise it's a pretty good 250 amp alternator from Tucson alternators. Looks like for the Tundra and not the Land Cruiser? View attachment 3019641
That alternator has the 4-pin connector that comes on new model years. I assume yours has the 3-pin connector? There is a post where someone swapped from the 3-pin to the 4-pin plug.

Yeah this is turning into a mystery ... at first I thought they gave me one for a Sequoia ... then I saw so many posts with the three pin connector ... BUT then I noticed that the 200 series uses a 4 pin so I thought maybe the goofed up on the model year. THEN I am seeing that the 100 Series with AHC MIGHT have the four pin ... I am not willing to trade my time to swap this out to it's going to a shop but I want to make sure I don't give them a problem to solve for no reason. I am still researching ... looking through the FSM as well. Denso compatible part numbers show the 4 pin so it's anybody's guess. I am hoping the 06 LC with AHC has the 4 pin ... but this one also has the third bracket that "may" fit or may not fit as some guys have been able to do a Sequoia 150amp swap into their 98-02 cruisers. It's anybody's guess. I should have sold this truck before dumping all this money into it lol.
@hoser mentioned that my 06 with the 130 original amp alternator might be a 4 pin in this thread.

Yeah this is turning into a mystery ... at first I thought they gave me one for a Sequoia ... then I saw so many posts with the three pin connector ... BUT then I noticed that the 200 series uses a 4 pin so I thought maybe the goofed up on the model year. THEN I am seeing that the 100 Series with AHC MIGHT have the four pin ... I am not willing to trade my time to swap this out to it's going to a shop but I want to make sure I don't give them a problem to solve for no reason. I am still researching ... looking through the FSM as well. Denso compatible part numbers show the 4 pin so it's anybody's guess. I am hoping the 06 LC with AHC has the 4 pin ... but this one also has the third bracket that "may" fit or may not fit as some guys have been able to do a Sequoia 150amp swap into their 98-02 cruisers. It's anybody's guess. I should have sold this truck before dumping all this money into it lol.
@hoser mentioned that my 06 with the 130 original amp alternator might be a 4 pin in this thread.

This is the thread I was referring to. It should give you some good advice.

130 amp alternator install in 00 LX - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/130-amp-alternator-install-in-00-lx.1247074/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom