Brighter Headlights for FJ60??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you can do the wiring by far I would do the upgraded headlights. I did it on my buddies 62 and the difference is almost literally night and day.

In regards to the fog lights I've always been told the ARB mounting position is little high for the ideal placement of fog lights.

But yeah I would probably do the upgraded headlights and then get some fog lights.

If $$$ was no object I would upgrade the headlights (with harness) AND still get the aux.(driving) lights.

But if it is a concern, like with most of us, then I would pop in high-powered halogens in the existing housings (with upgraded harness) and a pair of decent driving lights and see if you're satisfied with that set up in various driving conditions.

If you still feel the need to get the fogs after that then you probably should get a pair, possibly mounted below/under the bumper to get the max. benefit from them, possibly amber/yellow in color (for rain/snow/fog driving).

I've got a pair of the Light Force 240's on my bumper now and I am planning on :)rollyeyes) mounting a pair of projector fog lights in the bumper like what Steve ("airlaird") did to his ARB. I'll probably end up using them often, even when the weather/condition does not warrant it, just to allow me to see better by supplimenting (sp) the lowbeams.

If you don't really need the fogs, but just want to boost up your low-beam driving condition, another alternative (to spending the $$$ on (or replacing) the existing headlights, is to get a pair of assist lights, such as Sylvania's HID Xenarc's.

It's really low-profile, with wireless remote, and true HID (with ballasts).
They work fairly well and does not take up too much real estate on/in/under your bumper either.

One last thing I might mention is that I have seen a pair of aux. lights that function both as driving and fog lights (with H4 bulbs). I believe Warn offers a pair that meets such criteria which meets the European "E-code" standards that I might consider.

Although they might not offer as good of performance as the dedicated driving or fog units if the $$$ and the space (or lack of it) on your ARB was of concern then it might offer an attractive alternative with something like those.

ANYWAY, sorry for going on and on!
I would probably start with the cheapest/easiest and if that doesn't work, then spend more $$$.

Good luck!

Mot :)

Last edited:
I've got H4s and they are awesome. Think they are annoying to other drivers as I get flashed all the time. Many have asked riding in my truck at night if I had high beams on. High beam is ridiculously bright:)

OK, so I was wrong, it is "fog/spot" (further, but narrower beam pattern than "driving") light pattern offered by Warn:

WARN SDB-160 HBE 50,000 Candlepower Fog/Spot Lights from GoWarn

The high quality lamp construction is the same as in the SDB-160HB. The differences lie in the bulb wattage and the beam patterns that conform to the European Community standards (ECE). The results is a wider fog beam pattern with sharp light cut-offs closer to the vehicle and narrower, shorter spot beam pattern than the SDB-160HB. Control switch includes relay control feature and LED illumination when lamps are in use.

I've said this before, but these lights are actually manufactured by Koito, who is probably the largest OEM headlight/lighting company in Japan and their quality is pretty good. They manufacture some of the aux/fog lights that can be mounted on your bumper as well. ;)

But again, I would first try the headlights (bulbs/harness) first though.
And it sounds like folks have had success with them, so maybe adding aux. lighting will not be necessary. ;)

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted!

I'd start with the Hi/Lo's and relays. Then if you find that you're using the highs a lot I'd add the high-only's.
Mounting fog lights low is obviously going to give the best performance, but places them in jeopardy from all sorts of stuff if they're hanging off the bottom of the bumper. I've put those on my '84 Mini on a custom small cross member (bolted to where the swaybar used to live) back just about under the crank pulley. I do not notice any shadowing created by the front tires and they are fairly protected there.

A note to consider is that California makes a legal distinction btwn fog, driving, and auxiliary lights. Fogs can only be on with the lows. Driving can only be on with the highs. Auxiliary can be on with either. Mine are auxiliaries. ;)
Might want to check if this is true in your location as well.

Here's how my fog lights are mounted, nice and low. I have vinyl covers that go over them when not in use, and they can be flipped back out of the way if you are concerned about catching something with them.
IMG_1846.jpg
IMG_1847.jpg
IMG_1848.jpg

Have you seen this: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-...s-fire-headlight-harness-upgrade-my-62-a.html ;)

My vote is upgrade the headlights, then assess. No need to cut rad air flow if you have 4 stock locations for good white lights. (fogs on the otherhand...)

The "eyes of fire" is a great analysis Doc. It's clear that the light distribution of the Bosch is much better than the silverstars, which are themselves considered an upgrade. Mybe I'll just bite the bullet and make this my biggy Christmas present this year :grinpimp:.

Thanks for all the advice, y'all.

Got a pair of high-pro lights from danielsternlighting.com to replace the dying stock rounds on my '84 FJ60, these lights are absolutely badass.

re brighter lights for 60

I got a set up from www.suvlights.com. The 7" headlight shell, halogen bulbs and heavy duty wiring harness. Very simple install. Now I can see at night!

I'm a novice...how do I know what to order?
Thanks

wow - old thread revival. Great to see search used!

I recommend getting new lenses/bulbs first and upgrading the wiring harness when you can afterward. (BTW - SLCFJ62 makes a great harness so buy his when you are ready).

I haven't tried Roundeyes but hear good things. I've tried IPF and Cibie lenses - both are awesome ( I like the e-code light pattern) - Cibie seem slightly better.

I got my Cibies from Daniel Stern - spendy but he's fun to talk to and chat with. Guy knows his stuff!!

JamesR - get a 7" lens setup for H4 bulbs and you should be set. quality bulbs and harness will be the next best upgrade.

Go to Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply and read. You don't have to buy anything from him, but his web site is a wealth of information. After you have done your homework, then come back and ask your questions. :) Then you will know what you want and need. Otherwise, you will be operating on other peoples opinions, and everybody has one of those.:D

I just installed your harness (super easy) and a set of Roundeyes. Holy crap what a difference. The halogen sealed beams were SO crappy compared to this set up.

wow - old thread revival. Great to see search used!

I recommend getting new lenses/bulbs first and upgrading the wiring harness when you can afterward. (BTW - SLCFJ62 makes a great harness so buy his when you are ready).

I haven't tried Roundeyes but hear good things. I've tried IPF and Cibie lenses - both are awesome ( I like the e-code light pattern) - Cibie seem slightly better.

I got my Cibies from Daniel Stern - spendy but he's fun to talk to and chat with. Guy knows his stuff!!

x2...I had IPFs and reeeaalllly liked them. then I talked with Daniel Stern and and reluctantly threw down for the Cibies. Definitely better IMHO than the IPFs. although, you can't go wrong with the IPF. I too love the Ecode pattern.

I hear there are some nice LED headlights now that don't require wiring harness changes. Anyone come across good ones for the 60?

I hear there are some nice LED headlights now that don't require wiring harness changes. Anyone come across good ones for the 60?

Truck-Lite has a 7" round LED light. I have them on my FJ60 and they are awesome. You can find 'em online for less than $180/each. They have have a more expensive version with a heater coil for the winter...albeit the regular version does produce some heat to melt ice.

JW Speaker also makes a 7" LED light, but they are a good bit more expensive and I think they look better on Jeeps...but that's all preference.

×2 trucklite

I run em on the 60 with slc62s harness and they are literally night and day compared to stockers. Hell they are night and day compared to the cibbie osram combo stern sells and everyone here was recommending a while back.

The cibbie set up was still yellow light, looked kinda like a room lit by a candle lol. These things put out nice white light and are just plain better. Im sure there are better brands like speaker (i find theirs too alien poppin outta ripleys stomach lookin) but for the cash i really like these.

D

I have to give a big thumbs up to slcfj62's harness and relay with the Hella lights too. Big difference. Easy install. Great workmanship. Really great customer service.

Last edited:
I picked up the 27270C Truck-lites. Wow, they are a nice piece of engineering.

Do I need to protect those beautiful lenses with anything? The things just look so different from normal headlights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom