Builds 'Brightening' a Fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Direct bolt on. I did a little hunting to get exactly what I wanted. There's a few options out there but I went with Works Bell for the hub then contact Works Bell Japan for a longer boot as the one that comes with the hub is a little short for my taste on the 60 column. A couple emails and they shipped me their longest boot and did exactly what I wanted. Not exactly cheap for it all. Probably about $130 for the hub assembly and about $200-$250 for the wheel used. New is about $330 for the wood wheel.

If you want to go that route, let me know and I'll tell you the specifics.
I got a wood wheel from a guy in TX and ordered the hub from Nardi on amazon. Wheel was $125. I’ll post pic when it arrives.

Not bad. No noticeable scratches.

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

Beautiful build man, I have one of the older NEXs in my 80(older but not old), I need to connect the usb for carplay to "mirror". Drives me nuts, think I may make the jump

Beautiful build man, I have one of the older NEXs in my 80(older but not old), I need to connect the usb for carplay to "mirror". Drives me nuts, think I may make the jump

That’s the sole reason I jumped to this model, wireless was key. I hate fiddling with cables if I can avoid it.

70 series vents came in and put them in real quick. Thanks to whoever ultimately found these were the same... @Onur? Nonetheless, the entire assembly bolts into 62 (or 61 if you have one) series. Great upgrade because it has the seal packing already and you can remove from the center vent duct, which is usually crumbling or gone at this point.

Identical except for the seal packing and adjustable vents.

2B9CF021-4859-4EB0-8EF3-0D183B5F3329.jpeg

8841CB18-7CF1-40A7-9297-7ACDB3F1EED0.jpeg

F3A39014-0132-4945-A9FA-A2EC540D0F8B.jpeg

Not too much new. Had some quieter weekends finally. Everything has finally come in for H55, went a touch overboard on transfer case parts. Besides most of the gears and case shells, everything else will be new from Toyota. Patiently waiting for cases to be hot tanked so I can start assembling everything. While I've been waiting, parts have accumulated. This is about 1/2 of the lot that I decided to acquire. If anyone wants a 4spd and transfer case, my existing drivetrain will be for sale. PM me if you're interested, moving in the next couple months and I don't want to haul it with me. Also popped down to Palm Springs for the weekend for a chopper show, borrowed my buddy's van in exchange for some labor. Such a fun rig to rip around in, started looking around at 1st and 2nd gen econolines after...........haha.

Decided to rip my alternator apart and clean it. Brushes have plenty of life but the rear bearing had puked its grease. Not sure why but I replaced with new Koyos. Otherwise R+R was straight forward, but can easily become a nightmare if you aren't careful. Too many JIS screws that could round out if you aren't careful. Have spares handy if you take on this task. Also popped in my clock delete cover and new upper/lower steering column clamshells. No wiring for clock and thought the plate was a neat way to eliminate the clock since I have the Pioneer, phone and watch to tell me time. Lastly....I found a new inspection lamp with original bag. Fun acquisition that I had been quietly looking for.

KYsVVJBl.jpg

pVAEI0xl.jpg

RYNklbrl.jpg

SaNnEpdl.jpg

NsUr0xgl.jpg

5j7ikOXl.jpg

With a move in the next couple months, I decided I need to wrap up the H55, it has been very slow progress. Started assembling some bits to occupy my brain. First I cleaned up the pto cover and input shaft cover.

I think I will use the old parts (middle). And hold the new bits for...who knows when. They cleaned up very nicely.
uW8QH92l.jpg

New selector shaft
X7UIRdgl.jpg

N9QNoi8l.jpg

New oil slinger
Rb0vpIVl.jpg

rLksHQal.jpg

New TO bearing and Hub (figured why not, all new parts are fun)
cFtUwwpl.jpg

Transfer lever shaft and associated washer
cH6vcVdl.jpg

VeCgNN8l.jpg

First tease of mainshaft cover, this is just media blasted as a teaser. Hoping to have the cases and cover back tomorrow after vapor blasting.
CQEVXewl.jpg

Last edited:
And here we are. Vapor blasting officially takes the cake for nicest finish out of the booth. No coatings will be added it will be run as-is. Curious to see how well it holds up to oil and grease/dirt over time. The idea of the slurry smoothing out the surface makes me hopeful it will retain its finish and allow it to stay 'cleaner' over time. Time to assemble!

etvNV0Pl.jpg

a8vayYcl.jpg

J90sKRHl.jpg

Y9DAjcml.jpg

With a move in the next couple months, I decided I need to wrap up the H55, it has been very slow progress. Started assembling some bits to occupy my brain. First I cleaned up the pto cover and input shaft cover.

I think I will use the old parts (middle). And hold the new bits for...who knows when. They cleaned up very nicely.
uW8QH92l.jpg

New selector shaft
X7UIRdgl.jpg

N9QNoi8l.jpg

New oil slinger
Rb0vpIVl.jpg

rLksHQal.jpg

New TO bearing and Hub (figured why not, all new parts are fun)
cFtUwwpl.jpg

Transfer lever shaft and associated washer
cH6vcVdl.jpg

VeCgNN8l.jpg

First tease of mainshaft cover, this is just media blasted as a teaser. Hoping to have the cases and cover back tomorrow after vapor blasting.
CQEVXewl.jpg
How long did it take to get the H55 in from Toyota?

Great work as always Nate. I haven't read your thread in a couple of years and just finished up from page 1 again. I've been looking at those scramblers myself. What are your impressions since you've had it for a while now? Are you having the vapor honing done locally or sending it out?

Dang! I don't know why I assumed it would be longer. I'll be ordering mine here in the next few weeks.

It just depends on your proximity to a distribution warehouse and if its available at that location. LA warehouse is only an hour away so I get things next day unless its not available at that warehouse.

Great work as always Nate. I haven't read your thread in a couple of years and just finished up from page 1 again. I've been looking at those scramblers myself. What are your impressions since you've had it for a while now? Are you having the vapor honing done locally or sending it out?

Thanks Roma! Coming from you that is a big compliment. Vapor blasting is done locally, found a guy who restores old Maicos and uses it heavily for cases and carbs. I'm not in the position to purchase one for my limited use right now....but I'm thinking about how I could accommodate and perhaps do things on the side.

The scrambler is great, I absolutely love it. It's a bit heavy for single track (unless you are extremely comfortable riding single track) but everything else its a blast. Swap the tires for something like Conti TKCs and its far better off-road. The motor is super smooth, very torquey and perfect for street riding. I take it on the canyons every weekend and it far exceeds my needs on road (compared to R1). Braking is more than adequate, suspension is a bit stiff for some but I love it. I weigh about 220 right now and on big dips and uneven, messy roads its perfect and soaks it up. Ohlins is adjustable so you can setup as needed. The electrics are very fancy, with a keyless fob (and a couple regular keys as well) full lcd but all very usable and once the screen is setup, gives you all thats needed. As someone whose never owned anything new....this is my first step into the 21st century and couldn't be more pleased. Still feels like a Triumph used to less the fuel injection. Hold out to see if prices drop if you go this route.

However.....if you're looking for a bike to toss around and do some single track or generally just a workhorse....I'd still go with a xl650r. Those bikes are just the best and with a spare wheelset, you could regear for street riding and not be as buzzy at 70....and significantly cheaper. But if comparing to new bmw's/duc's....this is the way to go in my opinion.

It just depends on your proximity to a distribution warehouse and if its available at that location. LA warehouse is only an hour away so I get things next day unless its not available at that warehouse.

Thanks Roma! Coming from you that is a big compliment. Vapor blasting is done locally, found a guy who restores old Maicos and uses it heavily for cases and carbs. I'm not in the position to purchase one for my limited use right now....but I'm thinking about how I could accommodate and perhaps do things on the side.

The scrambler is great, I absolutely love it. It's a bit heavy for single track (unless you are extremely comfortable riding single track) but everything else its a blast. Swap the tires for something like Conti TKCs and its far better off-road. The motor is super smooth, very torquey and perfect for street riding. I take it on the canyons every weekend and it far exceeds my needs on road (compared to R1). Braking is more than adequate, suspension is a bit stiff for some but I love it. I weigh about 220 right now and on big dips and uneven, messy roads its perfect and soaks it up. Ohlins is adjustable so you can setup as needed. The electrics are very fancy, with a keyless fob (and a couple regular keys as well) full lcd but all very usable and once the screen is setup, gives you all thats needed. As someone whose never owned anything new....this is my first step into the 21st century and couldn't be more pleased. Still feels like a Triumph used to less the fuel injection. Hold out to see if prices drop if you go this route.

However.....if you're looking for a bike to toss around and do some single track or generally just a workhorse....I'd still go with a xl650r. Those bikes are just the best and with a spare wheelset, you could regear for street riding and not be as buzzy at 70....and significantly cheaper. But if comparing to new bmw's/duc's....this is the way to go in my opinion.

XR650L ? that was my last bike. I just wasn't happy with it eventually too heavy for trails and too much of a dirt bike for the streets. I just love the retro styling of the scrambler.

I even took it with me pick up my 60 on the Canadian border incase my recovery truck broke down.

bike.jpg

Last edited:
XR650L ? that was my last bike. I just wasn't happy with it eventually too heavy for trails and too much of a dirt bike for the streets. I just love the retro styling of the scrambler.

Oh no kidding! Triumph will be even heavier for trails :/ Far more of a street bike compared to 650L. But if you do more street/dirt/gravel than single track then it's perfect. I commute on it and usually hit fire roads for camping, nothing gnarly yet. Still babying it.

I'm getting input that the gear is plenty fine to run....

I'm just a paranoid person when it comes to these things and I can't decide whether I should run it and move on or replace.

Anyone have input?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom