Brake Controller Install? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bhicks

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I'm getting ready to install a 7 pin trailer plug out back and a brake controller under the dash on the new 80 for our trailer. I'm doubtful there is a plug under the dash on my 97 ready for a brake controller. My 03 LX470 had the plug but it came from the factory with the 7 pin trailer plug. Anyone done a brake controller install that can give me some pointers? Maybe a thread with pics of the process? I'm sure I could figure it out, but if someone already did it and documented it, that would be a great resource to reference.

I am just about to do the same. I am not even sure if I can fit my hands up behind the dash enough to tap into the brake wire!
I'm hopeful I don't have to hack into the wires to install the controller. Hopefully there is a plug or some type of adapter. Not a fan of hacking into factory brake light wires.

There is no ready made plug to connect a brake controller. The install is fairly straight forward (your controller should have wiring instructions) with the exception of where to pull the brake signal to activate the controller. The post below has a picture of the green/white striped wire in the driver's kick panel that is the correct one to tap into for the brake signal. I did mine a year ago on my '97 LX and it works fine.

Break controller wiring harness?

Another tip I picked up on here somewhere is to mount the controller receptacle on a strong magnet. It tucks up on the back side of the hitch when I'm not using it (out of the way of damage) and easily drops down when I need it. I used a inexpensive Harbor Freight 50-75 lb retrieval magnet, painted it black to match the hitch, and it hasn't moved over several thousand miles of towing.

IMG_2493.JPG

qu35985_800.jpg

There is no ready made plug to connect a brake controller. The install is fairly straight forward (your controller should have wiring instructions) with the exception of where to pull the brake signal to activate the controller. The post below has a picture of the green/white striped wire in the driver's kick panel that is the correct one to tap into for the brake signal. I did mine a year ago on my '97 LX and it works fine.

Another tip I picked up on here somewhere is to mount the controller receptacle on a strong magnet. It tucks up on the back side of the hitch when I'm not using it (out of the way of damage) and easily drops down when I need it. I used a inexpensive Harbor Freight 50-75 lb retrieval magnet, painted it black to match the hitch, and it hasn't moved over several thousand miles of towing.

View attachment 1311370

View attachment 1311371
Thanks a ton for that info and pics. That was the perfect info I needed. I have the EGR issue to deal with this weekend (failed smog) and will tackle the brake controller next weekend.

I completed this on my 91 as one of my first mods after getting the truck. Having little experience doing electrical work did not make the job any more difficult. Installing the controller and adding the 4pin-7pin Hopkins adapter was super simple. The only issue I have (and still deal with) is where to mount the 7pin trailer connector. It is zip tied to my hitch, where it holds well enough. I opt to change out the zip ties every 8 months or so, when the plastic starts weakening due to exposure.
If someone has an alternate idea, I'd love to hear it. I still have my stock rear.

-Derek

@bhicks Not quite a necropost, but do you have any tips/tricks/photos after completing this job?
Unfortunately I never got to it installed. The tranny in my wifes van took a dump so I had to fix that and find another vehicle for her. Since the Van is our family car I had to find a replacement for it asap. I decided to pick up a Tahoe which is already set up with a brake controller and 7 pin plug so I will be doing the majority of the towing with it. I still plan to install the brake controller in the 80 but all funds got sucked up in replacing the van tranny so all 80 mods are on hold.

I was considering going with a Slee rear bumper and installing a 5/6/7 round connector through the bumper and rear crossmember about 6" to the left of the pintle mount base. I figure the Slee bumper would more than compensate for a 1 1/2" hole cut in the crossmember. I'd go for the smallest possible connector to minimize hole size.

To install a 7 pin connector, I drilled a hole in the plastic bumper cover just outside the frame rails. On an 80, that puts is quite a distance from the hitch. It works if the wiring harness on your trailer is long enough. Otherwise you will have to mount it to the hitch in some fashion. The rear cross member is a double wall design which would be a bear to drill through.

Slight addition to the OP's initial question. I'm about to install the redarc tow-pro elite brake controller, and there are some very specific criteria for the vehicle brake light signal wire connection:

-Provide battery voltage output while the vehicle brakes are applied. (CHECK)
-Have 0 volts output while the vehicle brakes are not applied. (CHECK)
-Accept battery voltage input when the brake controller manual override is operated and illuminate at least the trailer brake lights (SEEMS TO BE A CHECK)
-Accept battery voltage input as above without causing any damage, spurious vehicle operation or erroneous fault indication (???)

Those last two have me scratching my head a bit... I'd presume that any brake controller has these same requirements in order to use the manual override/manual trailer braking function, but would appreciate confirmation.

Last edited:
Slight addition to the OP's initial question. I'm about to install the redarc tow-pro elite brake controller, and there are some very specific criteria for the vehicle brake light signal wire connection:

-Provide battery voltage output while the vehicle brakes are applied. (CHECK)
-Have 0 volts output while the vehicle brakes are not applied. (CHECK)
-Accept battery voltage input when the brake controller manual override is operated and illuminate at least the trailer brake lights (SEEMS TO BE A CHECK)
-Accept battery voltage input as above without causing any damage, spurious vehicle operation or erroneous fault indication (???)

Those last two have me scratching my head a bit... I'd presume that any brake controller has these same requirements in order to use the manual override/manual trailer braking function, but would appreciate confirmation.
Did you go ahead with install of your Redarc Tow Pro? I just purchased the same unit & researching the how to part.

Embarrassingly I haven't gotten the full install done yet. I got sidetracked with what became a "full ML-relay dual-battery install with a couple of additional fuse blocks and outlets to run all the goodies, and additional light harnesses" and replace all the stock battery/ground cables with marine grade 2/0 - on top of the basic need for the brake controller. Figured I'd get it all done and only tear things open once. LOL.

View attachment 1311370

View attachment 1311371

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm in the process of installing a brake controller. I'm stuck at the "Stoplight Red" as I'm not able to squeeze my hand behind the dash. By referencing your pics above and comparing to my 95 LC. The wiring color are slightly different. Are you able to identify what pin # the wire is located on the harness? Thanks.

I can’t get you a PIN number as my truck is not apart. I suspect, however, that the 95-97 harnesses are the same (maybe someone with a 95 and brake controller can verify).

The signal wire to tap into for brake signal doesn’t have to be accessed up under the dash. The pic I used in my post (not my pic) shows a green w/white trace wire that is in the drivers side kick panel down by the driver’s left foot. Remove the dead pedal footrest, remove the trim cover, and the wiring is accessible there. IIRC there was only one green w/white trace wire in the bundle in front of the guy’s finger in the picture.

When I fitted a new trailer connector to my 80 (I use large round 7 pin, but there are others such as 12 pin ones and 5's), I also fitted a Redarc brake controller. It's located in the dash and nicely hidden with the little 'control panel' for it fitted into a convenient spot in the fascia. Given the only connection needed to the trailer connector is via the blue wire (normal colour for electric trailer brake signal in Australia) it just needed a bit of cable run to the back and linked into the rest of the trailer connector wiring feed.

I have never seen Australian 80's with any sort of factory-fitted trailer brake controllers but maybe there was something Toyota optioned in the later years.

I can’t get you a PIN number as my truck is not apart. I suspect, however, that the 95-97 harnesses are the same (maybe someone with a 95 and brake controller can verify).

The signal wire to tap into for brake signal doesn’t have to be accessed up under the dash. The pic I used in my post (not my pic) shows a green w/white trace wire that is in the drivers side kick panel down by the driver’s left foot. Remove the dead pedal footrest, remove the trim cover, and the wiring is accessible there. IIRC there was only one green w/white trace wire in the bundle in front of the guy’s finger in the picture.

So here is a pic.

20190515_074737.jpg

I just did this & made a video... My rig is a 97 Lx450

I installed a Redarc Tow Pro Elite

I just wired a brake controller in my 80. Pretty straight forward thanks to those who posted👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom