Smittybilt XRC 12000 install problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.transpacificdist.com
I've got the OLD OG Slee front bumper (pre Shortbus) on my 94 80 Series.

Just got a used XRC Gen2 12000 winch.

The instructions call for 10mm bolts and nuts to mount (I bought this used and there was no included hardware). On 1 corner of the winch mounting feet, I'm having a hell of a time getting a nut to go all the way in - it's just the 1 corner. I've been trying to bang it in, but I am considering grinding the nut down just a little bit to help it slip in....

Has anyone else had this experience, and if so, how did you solve the problem?

Fortunately, this bumper was designed for the Warn M12000 with the feet facing forward instead of down.

No harm in grinding the nuts usually. Did you get the correct nuts from Smittybilt or are you using generic hex nuts?
Yep... 10.9 generic hex from Home Depot....

Winch nuts are generally square nuts that slide in the winch body, and are usually thinner than a generic hex nut. I see no harm in grinding the nut to fit. Keep in mind the winch nuts are usually a larger footprint than a hex nut, so they spread the load more evenly. If you're mounting it feet-forward, then there won't be much force on those nuts at all, beyond holding the winch in place vertically. All the force will be on the winch body when pulling line.

Thanks - I also believe there will be less force this was as opposed to mounted foot down...

Actually it was designed to be feet down but with the M12 from Warn they also require front support. So the front of the winch was against the front plate. And two additional bolts held the front on. That is how Warn wants the M12k to mount. Smaller winches doez not requite that and mount feet down in the bumper as long as it fits side to side. The M12 had the motor on opposite sides than the smaller winches.

Actually it was designed to be feet down but with the M12 from Warn they also require front support. So the front of the winch was against the front plate. And two additional bolts held the front on. That is how Warn wants the M12k to mount. Smaller winches doez not requite that and mount feet down in the bumper as long as it fits side to side. The M12 had the motor on opposite sides than the smaller winches.
I put it foot forward as the bolt pattern is identical to this mount.

I appreciate the input and the information as there isn't a whole lot of information about this bumper and it's relationship to the M12000.

Problem has been solved by removing a little material from the nut...

BTW this is a massively overbuilt bumper that I never plan to part with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom