Box Rocket homemade trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alrighty. Here's where things ended up. After cutting a bunch of stuff off there were a bunch of places that needed to be touched up. Ended up recoating the inside of the tub with Raptor Liner as well as the new fenders. Thought about keeping the color matched grey (same as the Cruiser) but it's costs more to have color matched paint mixed up if I need to touch things up. So went with white. Makes it easy to do touchups and having it color matched doesn't really matter than much to me. Might do a little accent color of the Moonglow grey.

Added new latch brackets, changed the tailgate latches from pins to paddle latches, which is much nicer than the previous setup. Still on the fence about putting the spare tire carrier back on or not.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Your thoughts on other options to carry the spare tire. I'm not a fan of the tailgate mounting of spares, but somewhat limited to other areas.
Ideally I'd love to put a tire under the tub, but there are very few options for a 37" tire to fit on a small trailer. I'm stuck with it on the back if I'm gonna put a spare on it.

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread... starting a trailer build myself this winter/spring (starting with a HF frame so not nearly as robust as yours) definitely going to use a lot of the information referenced in here. so Thanks in advance!
If you were to start over again, what would you have done differently from the start? I'm going to skin mine like yours but I've read lots of folks have had huge success with just using VHB tape for the skins rather than welding. thoughts?
how's the lock and roll working? I've heard cases of it binding if jackknifed and the trailer is tilted side to side. I've heard the Max Coupler doesn't have this issue... but no first hand experience for me.
How's the raptor holding up? any regrets with going with that over something else? is it just the underside and the tub? or did you do the sides and top with white raptor?
anyways, I really appreciate all the general info (from you and the rest of the commenters) as well as detailed info about material and whatnot.

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread... starting a trailer build myself this winter/spring (starting with a HF frame so not nearly as robust as yours) definitely going to use a lot of the information referenced in here. so Thanks in advance!
If you were to start over again, what would you have done differently from the start? I'm going to skin mine like yours but I've read lots of folks have had huge success with just using VHB tape for the skins rather than welding. thoughts?
how's the lock and roll working? I've heard cases of it binding if jackknifed and the trailer is tilted side to side. I've heard the Max Coupler doesn't have this issue... but no first hand experience for me.
How's the raptor holding up? any regrets with going with that over something else? is it just the underside and the tub? or did you do the sides and top with white raptor?
anyways, I really appreciate all the general info (from you and the rest of the commenters) as well as detailed info about material and whatnot.
Hmmm. well a couple things...I sold the trailer this past spring to @Dirty Koala who has been able to use it a little since then. I was glad to see it go to someone I know well and that can enjoy it. I had plans for some additional suspension upgrades if I had kept it, and maybe Morgan will do some of those same upgrades down the road? I fixed up a few things prior to the sale to Morgan. It got a fresh coat of Raptor in the tub and fresh paint. New taillights and steps and got the tire carrier put back on.

But to answer some of your questions...
First off, I think a lot depends on how you intend to use your trailer. I would answer that first for yourself. For example, if you are just planning to take it on fireroads and moderate speeds to some pretty accessible camping areas then your needs will be different than needing a trailer that can handle high speeds over rougher terrain or being pulled through the Rubicon. When I first built the trailer I planned on it getting used in difficult terrain and I wasn't going to be easy on it so that is what dictated the heavier frame and making decisions to weld the skins and weld the tub to the frame etc. I didn't want fatigue areas that would have issues over time if they were not welded. I definitely pulled this trailer much faster through rough roads than most people would do with a trailer and I'm glad I overbuilt it. So give some thought to how you want to use it.

The lock-n-roll worked pretty well while I had it, but it did bind up and bend during a jackknife situation. I've heard that the design has been updated to keep this from happening but I switched to the Max Coupler at the time and never looked back. The Max Coupler was great. If I were building another trailer I would get a Max Coupler and not give it another thought.

The raptor liner held up really well considering that I built the trailer originally in 2008 and didn't touch up the liner until this past summer. It was still in decent shape but needed a little touchup. I lined inside the tub as well as the underside of the trailer. The underside definitely took the most abuse because of gravel being kicked up and hitting the bottom of the trailer, the axle and inside the fenders. The white on my trailer is all paint, no raptor on that stuff.

Good luck with your build!

Been getting to enjoy the trailer with the family, it’s very well built.
0FDD0C32-81CD-4EBA-B0EC-D48DBDD7677D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom