Builds Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where did you get that grill? I like the mud guards you attached to the flares. I’d like to be able to have flares but I can’t have anything nice because I break nice things.

Where did you get that grill? I like the mud guards you attached to the flares. I’d like to be able to have flares but I can’t have anything nice because I break nice things.
I bought a used grill and modified it myself. I used a sheet of honeycomb mesh I found on Amazon and the TOYOTA badge for an FJ Cruiser. It takes a bit of work to get the grill cleaned up after cutting out the center, but it wasn't too bad. Mud guards are just some generic ones from a parts store. They're just screwed into the flares. Nothing fancy.

Just realized I forgot to add a post to this thread about the Delta tailgate storage I added a few months ago. I ditched my DIY tailgate storage and replaced it with the relatively new offering from Delta. As you'd expect from Delta, it's a quality piece and very sturdy. I've had a few months now and it's been nice. I'm thinking I may add some carpet to the top surface. The bare aluminum can get a little hot out in the sun and can also be blinding if the sun reflects into your eyes. But other than that, very happy with it.
IMG_8302 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8303 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Just realized I forgot to add a post to this thread about the Delta tailgate storage I added a few months ago. I ditched my DIY tailgate storage and replaced it with the relatively new offering from Delta. As you'd expect from Delta, it's a quality piece and very sturdy. I've had a few months now and it's been nice. I'm thinking I may add some carpet to the top surface. The bare aluminum can get a little hot out in the sun and can also be blinding if the sun reflects into your eyes. But other than that, very happy with it.
IMG_8302 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8303 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8304 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8306 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8307 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8309 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8311 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8313 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8316 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
IMG_8318 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr I’m

IMG_8304 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8306 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8307 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8309 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8311 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8313 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8316 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
IMG_8318 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
What did you line your tailgate with?

Halfway through a seat swap. I got a killer deal on these 2011 VW Jetta seats. Leather, heaters. They are a manual slide, but have power recline. The rails are quite a bit wider than the cruiser ones. I did a bit of light hammering to the ridge in the floorboard where the front mount is closest to the ebrake handle because of the rail width. Without a bit of clearancing to that ridge, they sit too close to the door and the door won't close correctly. Driver seat is done and installed. Need to do the passenger seat tonight.

I needed to fabricate new mounts for them, but that was pretty straight forward. I need to hook up the electricals still but drove it to work this morning and the comfort and seating position is so much better for me. The seat bottom is probably about 1" higher than the stock seat bottoms so it will raise the driving position slightly. These seats have a 'tilt' adjustment for the bottom so with that adjusted lower it doesn't feel like you're sitting any higher.

Hello! Apologies if this has been answered somewhere, but I can't find if it has.

I just picked up some 2012 VW Golf seats that are basically the same as these. Did you ever get the wiring for the recline/heater to work, or have a diagram? I know on the drivers side it'll time out because of the CANBUS stuff, but you can make it work temporarily with a toggle switch.

Thanks

Hello! Apologies if this has been answered somewhere, but I can't find if it has.

I just picked up some 2012 VW Golf seats that are basically the same as these. Did you ever get the wiring for the recline/heater to work, or have a diagram? I know on the drivers side it'll time out because of the CANBUS stuff, but you can make it work temporarily with a toggle switch.

Thanks
I haven’t hooked up the heaters yet. I just ran a separate power lead to the recline switch. It’s all temporary until I actually take care of it correctly. I know someone that has a schematic for it. I’ll get a copy and try to share it.

I haven’t hooked up the heaters yet. I just ran a separate power lead to the recline switch. It’s all temporary until I actually take care of it correctly. I know someone that has a schematic for it. I’ll get a copy and try to share it.
It's all good, in the time between when I asked and now I actually figured it out, I bypassed the onboard box on the drivers side and just wired it directly to the heaters and recline so everything works, all without a timeout for CANBUS

It's all good, in the time between when I asked and now I actually figured it out, I bypassed the onboard box on the drivers side and just wired it directly to the heaters and recline so everything works, all without a timeout for CANBUS
Nice. Do you happen to have any pics of what you did? Sounds like a good solution.

Nice. Do you happen to have any pics of what you did? Sounds like a good solution.
You got it, I basically just removed the whole box up top and just give 12v to the two left green wires (they merge into one) seen here from the switch for heat. If you want to bypass the box make sure to do it before the two little connectors on the right and the bottom. those are the ones that send the power to the heaters. I think on mine I just cut the green wire from where it connects on the control box and just ran it down to the power and ground for the rest.

On the other side it's a lot more simple, it's just the thick Purple/Blue wire for heat, and there's nothing to change on that seat. For whatever reason the control box on the drivers side controls both it and the passenger side for heat. Just give 12v to the Purple/Brown there and it'll heat them up.

I removed most of the hardware on the passenger seat (occupancy sensor box, etc) and it left me with three wires on both seats for power, ground and heat.

The ground for the heaters is supplied by the ground for the seat, so all you have to worry about is power.
IMG_5803.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom