Builds Box Rocket 1985 Hilux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Treat your electrical genius friend like gold! Everybody needs one of them!

Replaced the transistor on the ignition board. Truck starts and runs. When we got it running it was still clattering like crazy and I was still scratching my head about what it could be. I figured if the motor was toast I wasn't going to make anything worse by trying something. I drained some oil out and replaced it with 2 qts of ATF and drove it around the neighborhood for a few minutes. Kinda just babied it around the block and it kept clattering. Took it for another lap around the neighborhood a little faster and no change. Pulled off to the side to just take a look under the truck to see if anything was leaking or if I could see anything else and left the truck idling. Got back in and just revved the thing up to about 3K and the clattering seemed to get quieter all the sudden. Drove around a bit more at higher rpms and the clattering is all but gone.

So thanks for that suggestion, whoever made it earlier. Crazy voodoo if you ask me since I'm no closer to knowing what was causing the noise but at least it's gone for now. I drained the ATF/Oil and refilled with a new filter and fresh oil.

However, now the truck is blowing some smoke. Crossing my fingers that I'm not dealing with a head gasket now. I suppose its possible that the thinner ATF/Oil got past some of the rings or something and is burning now, not sure yet.

I dont want to jinx your shyt but i had an engine do a similar thing. It had episodes like that a couple times, then the ringlands grenaded. Cost me block and head. :(

I caught somebody poaching the second pic in this thread to advertise on bookface today. I asked if he had your permission to use it. I’m sure he’s quaking in his boots as we speak...

I caught somebody poaching the second pic in this thread to advertise on bookface today. I asked if he had your permission to use it. I’m sure he’s quaking in his boots as we speak...
Who is this thug?

Who is this thug?

Some young punk who is trying to buy a flatdeck on the local Toyota 4x4 fb page. He included a couple of pics as examples of what he is after. I can send the goons over to rough him up if you like? :hillbilly:

Drove the 80 to go pick up some new seats for my sons '85 minitruck. It had a nasty benchseat that I worried about spreading disease. These are VW Jetta/Golf seats, identical to the ones I swapped into my 80 except these are cloth rather than leather like I have in the 80. Power recline and seat heaters. These are really comfortable seats and I've like them a lot in the 80 so I was stoked to find another set for a great price.
Seats by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Now to finish getting the truck ready for paint.
Seats by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

This truck finally got some new paint this past week. As with my other son's truck this is a first car and I'm sure it will be banged up so no high dollar paint job. Still wanted it to look decent but didn't want to worry about it getting dinged or scratched. So once again it was a rattle can job. Turned out pretty good if you ask me considering the $50 cost investment. My son picked the color. I'm sure someone will ask, so it's Rustoleum Slate Blue (Satin Finish) with a few coats of Rustoleum clearcoat on top. We had a few blemishes on the base coat which we wet sanded and resprayed. It's not perfect but looks good from 10 feet. :) Need to replace the windshield trim, but we might just clean it up and paint it black to get rid of the chrome. Lots left to do but it's taking shape.

Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

There was a hole in the hood from the old DIY snorkel that we decided we wouldn't keep. Thought about patching the hole, or replacing the hood. In the end, we used some hood vents. They are ebay vents for a Ford Focus ST.

Seems a little 'tall'. Looks like on old Ramsey 8k winch?

Seems a little 'tall'. Looks like on old Ramsey 8k winch?
Yep, needs some 37's or 40's.
Good eye on the Ramsey winch. I'm pretty sure it's toast at the moment. I haven't pulled it apart yet to see what's going on but it currently doesn't work.

Spied it cuz it's just like mine. Bought from Leon Rosser Jeep way back in the mid 80s for the princely sum of $399/delivered. Originally installed on my 40and move to the mini when the 40 sold(mistake!) Still works but hasn't been used in forever.

I dig it! It does look a little tall. Any plans to lower it a bit?
It's interesting how trends have changed. Back in the late 90's early 2000's when I built this originally the 5.5" lift was really the most common for a lot of minitruck builds. That's what is on this one. Trends now are definitely smaller lifts with bigger tires. I'm not opposed to making this a bit lower and would probably do so by removing a leaf or two. There are just so few actual miles on these springs they are in excellent condition and they actually work quite well.

We'll probably wheel it a few times and see how it feels and how it works and then decide if we change it. But I'd love to just stick some 40's on it. Would look way more proportional. Just wish 40's weren't so dang expensive.

The 40 sold(mistake!)

I sold 4 different 40s over the years, and 3 diesel 60s. Ask me how bad I want a couple of them back! It was hard to get $3,500 for my Aqualu bodied ‘77 back in the early ‘90s. Now it would be worth closer to $35,000!
I try not to think about it too much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom