Bolt on turbo kit (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm doing both DP Blanket and heat wrapping. Why? Cause it's cheap and easy to put on and it saves my engine harness. Joey's selling engine harnesses now so he's not bias at all. LOL j/k.

It's more a pain in the arse taking off the intake manifold to snake out the ECU harness if you needed to change it if it gets crispy. I'm more cautious than most though.

I’m following your lead on this one as well. Don’t want to bake my brand new harness.

I came home to some boxes today too..

C0DFE0E7-AB74-4310-880E-9BAB48900385.jpeg

Can you guys post all the stuff that are you using for the wire harness heat shielding? Please include possible brands and best place online to get them please.

Last edited:
Can you guys post all the stuff that are you using for the wire harness heat shielding? Please include possible brands and best place online to get them please.
I am using DEI velcro closure heat shroud. They make three sizes. The large size I put on the large AC line on the P side fender well. The medium size I used a portion of it on the harness at the EGR pipe on the back D side (I was in there, might as well). The smaller size I put on the AC line on the firewall, P side.

Last edited:

I used everything outlined in the @spyduh build thread.

My wallet hates him right now. I literally have a box of parts waiting to be installed that have all come from his build thread.

I used everything outlined in the @spyduh build thread.

My wallet hates him right now. I literally have a box of parts waiting to be installed that have all come from his build thread.
lol i'm sorry. everyone else who hasn't seen my build thread yet. Don't look at it. It's not wallet friendly!

My 3 shelves of parts have down dwindled down to maybe half a shelf. Almost done.

I see these different materials that people use and I wonder the effectiveness of them. How good will they be at protecting the wires after an hour? Will they get heat soaked and allow the wires to heat up? I looked up the different sleeves and didn’t find much data on them on the supplier’s web pages so I decided to dig a little deeper. I guess wire bundle materials interest me.

It looks like SAE J2302 is the standard used for determining the thermal effectiveness of tapes and sleeving. I found a report on performance testing of automobile wire harnesses that provided some good information.

I’m not suggesting the materials referenced in this thread will be ineffective, just that there really isn’t any data to support how effective they are in normal use. The material suppliers may be able to provide additional test data. If I were looking for material I would look for something that was tested to SAE J2302 because I would know what I was getting. Of course cost and availability may be issues with these materials.

Links to the performance testing report and a couple random SAE J2302 materials I found.

PERFORMANCE TESTING FOR AUTOMOTIVE WIRE HARNESS TAPES
https://www.pstc.org/files/public/Safford,Amanda.pdf

Tape Case
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2248835.pdf

Therm-L-Wrap 66
https://www.is-rayfast.com/media/pdfs/lib/Rayfast%20Literature/4%20Braided%20Sleeving/Therm-L-Wrap%2066.pdf

Summit and Jegs both have a full selection of heat shielding for every application. There's a lot of cheap knockoff heat shielding out there so go with a reputable brand or you might get some expensive Chinese tin foil!

So my turbo is here and next up is finding the time to start on it. Quick question though about the turbo itself. I assume it’s fine or Borg wouldn’t have sent it out but this seems like an awful lot of material having been shaved off to get the fan balanced. Thoughts?

1581171024098.jpeg

Thanks!
I might post another pic when I get home just to show how deep those two purple cuts are. This pic doesn’t do them justice.

That is not a bolt head or anything, it is simply a pad to balance the shaft. The turbine and the shaft are all one piece.

Thanks!
I might post another pic when I get home just to show how deep those two purple cuts are. This pic doesn’t do them justice.

Nope not structural at all, it is there to grind off and balance the assembly. The only reason it looks like a fastener is so you can hold it steady while you tighten the nut on the other side of the shaft that holds on the compressor wheel.

Ah, okay. So it’s not really structural or anything. Very good to know, thanks again!

Its awesome to see MUD'ers getting their turbos and starting the install, but what batch is up next for the others that are still waiting?

Thanks!
I did my Mechanical Engineering internship at Garrett (Allied Signal at the time) back in the early 90's. Part of my job was to verify balance on all of the turbine/shaft assemblies for the prototype units prior to assembly and then balancing of the rotating assembly after assembly. The drive feature on the hub is used to hold the turbine/shaft assembly during several stages of the manufacturing process. After that, it is just sacrificial material for balancing the rotating assembly. They get cut on twice, once for the turbine shaft assembly balancing, and then again for the rotating assembly in the center housing with the bearings and compressor wheel. I saw some with far more material taken off than that. Not an issue.

As a side note, I have run this kit by some of my former interns who work for Garrett/Honeywell. They are very impressed by the quality of this kit, the engineering that went into it, and how complete it is. From an ME designer standpoint, I love the attention to detail and thought that has gone into every aspect of this kit. Joey has done an incredible job designing this kit.

@spyduh just contacted me with an oil leak issues he’s having with the oil pressure line in the turbo. Turns out his hose has a failed crimp at the turbo end so oil drips out into the heat sleaving.

If you haven’t already noticed an oil leak issue you likely won’t but it’s good to know where the potential is. I carry plenty of extras of all components of the turbo kit for just these scenarios. A new hose is going out to him today. He should post up what he found.

I’d rather all folks are aware of any potential for component failure instead of hiding it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom