Bolt on turbo kit (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As long as it's cheaper than ceramic, I'd throw it in my cart 👍

Yeah. Price check on that blanket for me too. Might as well make it in the box before it travels on the pony express

I am interested. My floor boards and center console have been hot since doing the frame over exhaust. Not a big problem for passengers because my wife hates riding in the 80....more so a pain because it melts my chap stick and makes a mess....

curious what the wrap would do to enhance rust in a salty winter environment. We brine the f##k out of our roads.

It’s starting to come together. 😁
6F1515EE-1096-4301-BB16-985E87435AE3.jpeg
D5A00F49-C24B-4DFA-88F3-5D12FD94EAC4.jpeg

I am all for thermal and sound reduction!

Pardon the newbie question but the turbo *technically* isn't adding any more heat to the downpipe, correct? Granted, the turbo is moving some of the heat upward near the hood but the exhaust system is still just as hot as it was pre turbo.

You will see an increase in exhaust temperatures with any sort of modification which increases flow of air into the combustion chamber. More air into a cylinder requires more fuel which creates higher combustion temperatures. The more fuel and air you squeeze into the cylinder the more power you can generate. There are limitations. Like any system.

I'm sure you guys will see upwards of 1600* under load if you use a Pyrometer to monitor EGT's.

Pardon the newbie question but the turbo *technically* isn't adding any more heat to the downpipe, correct? Granted, the turbo is moving some of the heat upward near the hood but the exhaust system is still just as hot as it was pre turbo.

Funny you should ask because this is the #1 concern with final CARB testing. It turns out that the turbine portion of the turbo (the cast iron part) acts as such a massive heat soak that it might *MIGHT* not get the exhaust gasses hot enough for the cats to properly operate. Isn’t that crazy?! Another reason the turbo blanket becomes important.

But, on the OEM exhaust there is a secondary heat bracket to help keep the passenger footwell from getting too hot. When you replace the front cat and Y-pipe you lose that extra heat barrier bracket so it really gets hot there.

Good explanations gents, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom