Bolt on turbo kit (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another little piece of info, this is the Tial MV-R wastegate that will be part of the kit. I will be shipping with RED and BLUE springs only.

I’m not going to sugarcoat it, this is mainly for my protection. I don’t want to even think about replacing engines because “someone” decides to put in a 20 psi spring either by accident or intentionally, and then have the audacity to hold me responsible. :rollseyes:

Strongly debating selling my legacy to do this and DD the cruiser.
As much as i like 30mpg and 300hp on road trips, I love the cruiser more. I haven't driven the legacy in 2 weeks due to snowmageddon in Seattle. Honestly, the mpg difference in the city after letting both warm up for ~15 min is negligible. I'm mostly typing this to justify spending as much on a turbo kit as i did on my last DD :doh:

Still can't get over no intercooler though. The engineering makes sense for not needing it, but there is some mental block that I can't get over not having one.

Strongly debating selling my legacy to do this and DD the cruiser.
As much as i like 30mpg and 300hp on road trips, I love the cruiser more. I haven't driven the legacy in 2 weeks due to snowmageddon in Seattle. Honestly, the mpg difference in the city after letting both warm up for ~15 min is negligible. I'm mostly typing this to justify spending as much on a turbo kit as i did on my last DD :doh:

Still can't get over no intercooler though. The engineering makes sense for not needing it, but there is some mental block that I can't get over not having one.

There is just no intercooler with this kit. It doesn’t mean either myself or someone else isn’t already knee deep in development :hmm:

There is just no intercooler with this kit. It doesn’t mean either myself or someone else isn’t already knee deep in development :hmm:
Ohh i figured. I know there has been a ton of discussion/debate about the whole thing from day 1.
There is a reason that i Tig'd a return barb on my pan when i had it off.... the impending turbo. :steer:

Do you think the computer can manage the next one up @ 7.25psi? Ive got a fresh top end, new head gasket and a port and polish job id like to open up a bit, as long as the computer can manage it. I assume my own risk of course:smokin:

DO NOT count the numbers listed on the Tial spec sheet as the actual boost the engine runs. They are just guesstimates. It isn't until you have an assembled setup and it is tested that you will know what boost each spring provides. Wastegate position plays a much bigger part in the boost level than the spring color.

Do you think the computer can manage the next one up @ 7.25psi? Ive got a fresh top end, new head gasket and a port and polish job id like to open up a bit, as long as the computer can manage it. I assume my own risk of course:smokin:

DO NOT count the numbers listed on the Tial spec sheet as the actual boost the engine runs. They are just guesstimates. It isn't until you have an assembled setup and it is tested that you will know what boost each spring provides. Wastegate position plays a much bigger part in the boost level than the spring color.

All the reason for the controller. Can afford mistakes :(

Yeah I am not sure the controller is necessary and we can take this talk off-line since it isn't really applicable to the thread. But I would not include any other springs in the kit except for the spring you find provides the boost level that you want.

All the reason for the controller. Can afford mistakes :(

Yeah I am not sure the controller is necessary and we can take this talk off-line since it isn't really applicable to the thread. But I would not include any other springs in the kit except for the spring you find provides the boost level that you want.

Oh yeah I think you missed that post. I’m absolutely only sending the spec’d spring(s).

Sounds like you are already doing this but it's best to have the maximum psi set as you want via the springs (as part of the kit) rather than an adjustable boost controller.

For many folks Its wayyyy to tempting to mess around with boost levels with an adjustable boost controller :hmm: but as you indicated it makes it easier for testing purposes.

Sounds like you guys are making solid progress, this is a fun thread to watch!

Sounds like you are already doing this but it's best to have the maximum psi set as you want via the springs (as part of the kit) rather than an adjustable boost controller.

For many folks Its wayyyy to tempting to mess around with boost levels with an adjustable boost controller :hmm: but as you indicated it makes it easier for testing purposes.

Sounds like you guys are making solid progress, this is a fun thread to watch!

Yeah to reiterate...the controller is NOT part of the kit. It’s for me and it’s for testing ;)

Since the kit is "bolt on" and that would make the kit near impossible to create it is obviously not included. That would also make the turbo kit even more of a leap for those thinking of taking the plunge.

I have a 3" thick front mount intercooler that fits behind my stock grill so it would be pretty easy to add on with the right kit of different bends included. Only a saw and some patience would be required to cut and fit the tubing together with couplers and clamps. Of course some cutting to the radiator core would be required to maintain clearances as well.

Some may opt for a top-mount with the interest of keeping the additional heat from effecting their cooling system. A FMIC will fit with the stock AC condenser in place, but the additional heat being exchanged in front of the cooling system would likely overwhelm even a tip top shape cooling system in high EGT conditions.

A $100 kit should get the job done. This is similar to what I ran for the first 8 years.

Last edited:
I ran my Tial with the blue spring and got nearly exact 5.8psi on the manual boost gauge. Curious how the wastegate arrangement on your j-pipe might (or might not) change that. 🆒

Since the kit is "bolt on" and that would make the kit near impossible to create it is obviously not included. That would also make the turbo kit even more of a leap for those thinking of taking the plunge.

I have a 3" thick front mount intercooler that fits behind my stock grill so it would be pretty easy to add on with the right kit of different bends included. Only a saw and some patience would be required to cut and fit the tubing together with couplers and clamps. Of course some cutting to the radiator core would be required to maintain clearances as well.

Some may opt for a top-mount with the interest of keeping the additional heat from effecting their cooling system. A FMIC will fit with the stock AC condenser in place, but the additional heat being exchanged in front of the cooling system would likely overwhelm even a tip top shape cooling system in high EGT conditions.

A $100 kit should get the job done. This is similar to what I ran for the first 8 years.

How did you route your plumbing? Can you take pics of your setup?

It almost makes me chuckle seeing a Grimmspeed manual boost controller in this thread :)

Another little piece of info, this is the Tial MV-R wastegate that will be part of the kit. I will be shipping with RED and BLUE springs only.

I’m not going to sugarcoat it, this is mainly for my protection. I don’t want to even think about replacing engines because “someone” decides to put in a 20 psi spring either by accident or intentionally, and then have the audacity to hold me responsible. :rollseyes:

View attachment 1904525

You should supply only Red if you ask me.

How did you route your plumbing? Can you take pics of your setup?
Yea, but my engines intake is on the driver side so I doubt I would route it the same with the 1FZ. Having dual batteries makes it more challenging. My plumbing is ugly after last summer I finally wrapped most all of it in heat tape to delay/prevent the heat soak.
Pass wheel well, driver wheel well, bay layout:

I used all 3" piping and 3" inlet/outlet IC which is overkill for this kit. Using 2.25" would make the job easier and still be plenty big and not restrict air flow. I can see using a FMIC setup like this where the in/outlet is kept on the passenger side.

You aren’t including the intercooler remember? Maybe with the intercooler kit you can include the blue spring.
Can't tell if you're joking or serious? An IC would change the charged air density which would allow your turbo to stuff "more air" in the "same amount of boost." So you can add more fuel? Intercooling doesn't make you be able to add more boost my itself, it just makes the boost you are making more efficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom