Bolt on turbo kit (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know if this video was posted before but it came up on my YouTube recommended videos. Also does anyone recognize it or the plate?

I have that truck now. Back then it had a hksT04z and a emanage ultimate piggyback ecu. They had I think 550ish precision injectors. Now it’s lifted with 35s has a precision ball bearring turbo, haltech elite 2000 ecu, ID injectors and a list of other crap I can’t remember and don’t want to add up. I do own a dynojet but didn’t have it when it before I changed everything on the truck. I haven’t put this latest setup on the dyno yet I’m still tuning my fuel trims and timing for higher boost. I did run 32lbs on race gas but ran out of injector.

If you are in water so deep it is above your snorkel I think you have bigger problems to worry about than your engine...

^^^^ Yep. You'd be in some really deep water, or upside down. Neither one is good.

This is NOT a photo of our engines/turbo/setup. BUT, it does show what I am considering doing which I think will help a larger group of you instead of being shoe-horned into a single solution. If you look at this downpipe set up, its very similar to what I thinking about doing. There is the V-band at the turbo which goes to a flex joint and another V-band. Then off the wastegate there is another, smaller, flex joint. The flex joints mean there is some wiggle room between trying to keep all of the geometry in line which would be very tough. The thinking now, using this image as reference, to move the v-band to after the wastegate junction. I will keep all reducers to a minimum before this point.

But my reasoning to adding another v-band after that junction is so that the mating pipe could be 2.5" to go to stock setups, or for those that want to goose it, can just bolt up a 3" exhaust to the v-band. This way I don't have to dick around with trying to make more than one solution to make people happy.

Thoughts before I commit?

View attachment 1903261
Thats how its done in the 18 wheeler world. My old C15 Accert(Dual Turbo) Caterpilar motor had this setup off the last turbo. If made right it should last a long while. Vband clamps are used extensively all over the system. If all else is rigid, the flex pipe will eventually fail though, which is OK as long as there is a replacement part readily available.

That motor was available on many different brands of trucks, so they had to have many different exhaust configurations like you are trying to do here. I think having a clamp after the wastegate would allow max flexibility for the installs.

Last edited:
Most flex pipes on Semi's are so the exhaust can expand and contact. Not so much for movement. I work on semi's for a living. I'm all for v band clamps. Just don't count on the flex pipe to move very much and not leak

I have that truck now. Back then it had a hksT04z and a emanage ultimate piggyback ecu. They had I think 550ish precision injectors. Now it’s lifted with 35s has a precision ball bearring turbo, haltech elite 2000 ecu, ID injectors and a list of other crap I can’t remember and don’t want to add up. I do own a dynojet but didn’t have it when it before I changed everything on the truck. I haven’t put this latest setup on the dyno yet I’m still tuning my fuel trims and timing for higher boost. I did run 32lbs on race gas but ran out of injector.

...so pretty much a bolt on setup :p

Man, I’d love see current video footage of this. Impressive 👏

I'm not in the know when it comes to turbo exhaust flex pipes. Can these things be manually moved/adjusted during a project? I assume they can't be moved a whole bunch just by man handling them?

I'm not in the know when it comes to turbo exhaust flex pipes. Can these things be manually moved/adjusted during a project? I assume they can't be moved a whole bunch just by man handling them?

The v-band clamp itself allows rotation along that axis, so long as it’s not bound by other clamps in 3D space, which this is. You do get some fine tuning.

This is NOT a photo of our engines/turbo/setup. BUT, it does show what I am considering doing which I think will help a larger group of you instead of being shoe-horned into a single solution. If you look at this downpipe set up, its very similar to what I thinking about doing. There is the V-band at the turbo which goes to a flex joint and another V-band. Then off the wastegate there is another, smaller, flex joint. The flex joints mean there is some wiggle room between trying to keep all of the geometry in line which would be very tough. The thinking now, using this image as reference, to move the v-band to after the wastegate junction. I will keep all reducers to a minimum before this point.

But my reasoning to adding another v-band after that junction is so that the mating pipe could be 2.5" to go to stock setups, or for those that want to goose it, can just bolt up a 3" exhaust to the v-band. This way I don't have to dick around with trying to make more than one solution to make people happy.

Thoughts before I commit?

View attachment 1903261
I like it! I've seen Vclamps like this used in turbine aircraft bleed air, and apu exhaust applications. Very reliable and like you said it allows for wiggle room during assembly. Just to be clear as mud, when you say the downpipe will mate to the stock location are we talking mating to the 2 downpipes that run into the first cat? If you have a stock setup or magnaflow 23120 pipe which is in the stock location, is the plan to mate directly with dual flanges?

stock.jpg

No, it doesn’t matter if it’s OEM or aftermarket, it gets cut after the “Y”. I will make available separately a “test pipe” for being able to drive the truck to a welder though.
Got it, so a single output no flange. That works for me. Thanks for the updates, can't wait!

Another vote for V band.

Yikes. Out of curiosity, what have you done to keep the tranny intact?

Another vote for v band.

Turbos can be addictive.

What IF I wanted a three inch exhaust down the road, bigger injectors, Haltech, meth water cooling, BIG inter cooler.... and more cup holders?

V band clamps are super convenient and easy. Also since there's no pressure after the turbo there's no need for a gasket.

V band clamps are super convenient and easy. Also since there's no pressure after the turbo there's no need for a gasket.
V-bands are definitely easier to work with than a flange. No need for a gasket even if it is a pressurized pipe. Some turbos mount via V-band directly to the exhaust manifold instead of a T3 or T4 flange. Vibrant brand is the way to go.

Ok V-bands on all removable joints it is.

On another note, just picked up a boost controller so that I can dial in the boost and make sure things test out the way I hope they do. This is NOT part of the kit. It’s just something I’m going to be using for testing. Just figured some of you may find interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom