Bolt on turbo kit (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On the black ice.:moon:

Hmmmm, seeing all these dyno numbers has got me curious to get my 80 on a set of rollers and see what the safari kit makes.

I would imagine it won't be too much different from the afters with this kit. +- 10%.

Hmmmm, seeing all these dyno numbers has got me curious to get my 80 on a set of rollers and see what the safari kit makes.

Do you know the specs of the turbo you are running? Like the compressor size, turbine wheel size, and exhaust housing size?
I would imagine it won't be too much different from the afters with this kit. +- 10%.
Agreed. I don't know a ton about turbos on gas engines, but the exact specs on the turbo and the engine timing could make a larger margin of difference than expected. It wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison so couldn't take much from it. While we are on the subject, someone wondering about the PT kit should pay @NLXTACY to pull the front shaft and lock the case and do a 2wd pull to see what the dyno measures compared to the full-time pull.

300ish awhp would be pretty unrealistic but I have been wrong before.

Me too. I was told 300-ish and that seems pretty reasonable. It accelerates with authority, not as quick as the Vette, but definitely respectable.

300ish awhp would be pretty unrealistic but I have been wrong before.

To be clear, I would not expect 300 awhp. Maybe around that in PT mode, certainly plausible at the crank. I'd love to take mine to a dyno and see how it performs, since the turbo system is basically brand new. I will say it's definitely biased to torque, nice and flat across a large range.

I think 215rwhp would be a little high in part-time for the Safari system.

To be clear, I would not expect 300 awhp. Maybe around that in PT mode, certainly plausible at the crank. I'd love to take mine to a dyno and see how it performs, since the turbo system is basically brand new. I will say it's definitely biased to torque, nice and flat across a large range.

Safari claim 350 horse here, presumably at the crank. My HDJ80 made 205 rwhp and the turbo fz is definitely faster than that.

Do you know the specs of the turbo you are running? Like the compressor size, turbine wheel size, and exhaust housing size?
No I don't. Safari isn't forthcoming in providing any information. I believe it's some derivation of a Garrett GT35 with safari's own exhaust housing but that's all I know.

I checked through all the docs I have, including the Safari installation manual, and no turbo specs. If I get my head in there that deep, I'll definitely make a note of everything I find.

FWIW the turbo will keep up with my wife's 2019 Veloster turbo which has 200hp and is just under 3000lbs. And while the Corvette is definitely faster, it will hang on surprisingly well. The amount of power the Safari makes is pretty impressive. With the attention to detail that @NLXTACY is putting into this, I'm sure it's going to be in the same ballpark.

I don't know if this video was posted before but it came up on my YouTube recommended videos. Also does anyone recognize it or the plate?

Last edited:
that roughly tanslates to a 14.5-15 second quarter. That's pretty quick considering the vehicle

I went down the rabbit hole when I first found this truck in similar videos. It was a turbo truck that was done long ago. Probably a decade or more. The shop that did it went out of business. But it was a HKS turbo they used, pretty big like a 72mm, but the boost wasn't all that high. I think they used a 7th injector. They had a dyno video but the numbers didn't add up.

I don't know if this video was posted before but it came up on my YouTube recommended videos. Also does anyone recognize it or the plate?

Judging from the sound, this 80 seems like it would have been quicker down the track if it had the updated transmission tuning. That shift seemed to take about a second.

But it was a HKS turbo they used, pretty big like a 72mm, but the boost wasn't all that high.

What is the size of Joey's turbo? I'm sure it's been said but wanted to have both #s up front!

Thanks.

Last edited:
I checked through all the docs I have, including the Safari installation manual, and no turbo specs. If I get my head in there that deep, I'll definitely make a note of everything I find.

FWIW the turbo will keep up with my wife's 2019 Veloster turbo which has 200hp and is just under 3000lbs. And while the Corvette is definitely faster, it will hang on surprisingly well. The amount of power the Safari makes is pretty impressive. With the attention to detail that @NLXTACY is putting into this, I'm sure it's going to be in the same ballpark.

Keep in mind the Safari was intercooled, which results in ahigher air desity for the same boost. This gives more power at the same boost, but it is impossible to calculate the difference without knowing the temperature drop the intercooler provides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom