One Stop Safari Turbo Thread! - Repairs, Upgrades, Challenges

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by yoda-g3, Jun 13, 2018.

1. yoda-g3

yoda-g3 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi all,

After starting on my second round of Safari repairs over the last 6 years I decided to compile all of the threads into one place to help other Safari owners if they get into the same boat as me.

In a nut shell, my rig had the turbo installed professionally by a dealership around 50k, still on original HG. At that time there was a Unichip installed.

Years later at 144k I discovered cracks in the turbo housing caused most like by running excessively lean.

Here is a post with Dyno results / Parts info that led up to that discovery: SAFARI Turbo Dyno Results - AFR Questions

That turned into quite the saga in finding "current" replacement parts that kept me from re-working the entire system. That can be found here: Help sourcing Safari Turbo Exhaust Housing - .82AR

With a little follow up on the post "upgrade" tweaks here: Help ASAP! - Safari Turbo Rebuild - Too Much Boost - Heading on camping trip!

The summary of my repair was I had the manifold welded, turbo rebuilt / turbine housing converted to a 5 bolt Ford style flange, then mated a flapper gate to the turbo (allowed me to retain the internal wastegate), and had my shop custom build a new down pipe. I also removed the Unichip to get AFR's back to non-insane levels.

Now 6 years later and 26k on the "refreshed" unit, I have discovered more issues. You can track that saga here: Need turbo gasket advice - Copper vs SS vs V-band?

Summary take away so far:

- Flex pipe by the down pipe was added 2015 after discovering stripped studs off turbo housing. It was a cheaper flex pipe I realize now and has failed. Flex pipe is a must! But don't go cheap, next one will be a Vibrant TurboFlex Coupling with Interlock Liner

- Don't skimp on exhaust hangers.... I think it caused some of my issues. Make sure to double up where you can to take that weight off of the manifold / turbo.

- Ceramic coating on everything has essentially worn off of the turbo and down-pipe. (Waste of time and money.)

- HG is still solid (knock on wood) at 170k, with 100k of 7lbs of boost / running LEAN, plus another 24k of 7-9lbs of boost running right. (Not saying to now change it, just giving a data point for those worried about it.)

More to come...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Bludozer, NLXTACY and nigelsiam like this.
  2. yoda-g3

yoda-g3 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Reserved.

3. yoda-g3

yoda-g3 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Reserved.

4. yoda-g3

yoda-g3 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Reserved.

5. yoda-g3

yoda-g3 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Reserved.

6. subzali

subzali

yoda-g3 likes this.
  7. subzali

subzali

8. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Just found this thread having just breaking the ice on mine after having stored for 2 years since my purchase.

Inter cooler bushing were first on the list having only one good one to work with I took the ghetto approach by using 2 different size hose. Im super happy with the results of a tight fit.

[​IMG]

yoda-g3 likes this.
  9. yoda-g3

yoda-g3 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice! I used some poly bushing from an old shock kit, they have worked ok, but this seems like a better solution. Mine are too rigid and I'm worried it will wear too quickly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.