Bolt on turbo kit (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes I do. It is a custom air to water setup I schemed up and had fabricated. I have a very large water reservoir that I use for, a/w intercooler, water meth injection and windshield washer fluid since they are all the same thing. haha.

image-4223020714-jpg.769010

Do you run an intercooler? If so what type?

Yes I do. It is a custom air to water setup I schemed up and had fabricated. I have a very large water reservoir that I use for, a/w intercooler, water meth injection and windshield washer fluid since they are all the same thing. haha.

To be fair an intercooler makes things run cooler, yes?

image-4223020714-jpg.769010
Do you have a level sensor? What mix are you running? What water/meth system?

It cools your intake air temp charge it does nothing directly for your engine coolant temp. They are two separate things. But by cooling your intake air temp, you don't have detonation so you have a happy motor.

To be fair an intercooler makes things run cooler, yes?

No level sensor, it is almost 6 gallons I just look in the tank when I fuel up. I have never needed more than a gallon and that is over several fill ups.

It is a system I made myself. I sourced the pump, the lines, the filters, the nozzle, etc and then trigger it off of my standalone ecu. All in my build thread. I use windshield washer fluid. Either -20 or 0 degree rated. Since it is nothing more than water with methanol and blue dye.

Do you have a level sensor? What mix are you running? What water/meth system?

It cools your intake air temp charge it does nothing directly for your engine coolant temp. They are two separate things. But by cooling your intake air temp, you don't have detonation so you have a happy motor.

With that said cooler air will result with cooler water temp in time. I have seen it 1st hand running constant meth brings the WT down until the meth ran out. I assumed the same would be true with an intercooler if not why the intercooler? Is the water temp increase without a cooler due to the more detonation?

That a kohl tool. ;)

Would have made my push lock oil fittings (for a VW sandrail) way easier.

It was literally brute force & body weight to get those on. Sucked!

Not sure the price, but like you said, probably not worth it for only a dozen fittings.

50 hoses, yeah, another story.

Bingo. I’ve assembled quite a few of these types of hoses over the years and they seemed to always be a pain. The stainless sleeved or internal stainless have zero give so huge Pain in the ass. Now it’s a cake walk.

Thinking about getting a crimper for the Eaton style fittings but quite honestly I don’t like those but super common on reservoir shocks.

Last edited:
If you inject enough water constantly you can get some cooling in the cylinder walls, but that is way more than what you need to cool intake air temps. Similarly some people like CDan with his OBDI cruiser spray a huge amount of meth to compensate for not having enough fuel. His setup is essentially a 7th injector using Meth for fuel. Again this is not really a primary use for water/meth injection.

Water/Meth injection is primarily used to capitalize on the enthalpy of vaporization of water to pull the heat out of the intake air.

Think about this. If you are using so much water that you are cooling the actual explosion inside the chamber you are actually losing power. But if you cool the intake air temp enough that you do not have the fuel detonate early due to heat and pressure but still have a hot explosion you are being safer and making more power.

Cooler intake air is denser air so you have more air molecules to combine with more fuel to make more power. More power doesn't make coolant colder. :)

With that said cooler air will result with cooler water temp in time. I have seen it 1st hand running constant meth brings the WT down until the meth ran out. I assumed the same would be true with an intercooler if not why the intercooler? Is the water temp increase without a cooler due to the more detonation?

Do you have a timeline on when you hope to have the kit available? I was all set to do a LS swap the first of next year but would much rather go the your turbo route. I just need enough power that when I am towing my trailer I don't get passed by 18 wheelers going up the hill anymore.

Do you have a timeline on when you hope to have the kit available? I was all set to do a LS swap the first of next year but would much rather go the your turbo route. I just need enough power that when I am towing my trailer I don't get passed by 18 wheelers going up the hill anymore.

In a word...no.

Right now the important bits are in production and then it goes to testing. I can’t suggest a timeline, much less commit to one, until some key pieces are ready.

In a word...no.

Right now the important bits are in production and then it goes to testing. I can’t suggest a timeline, much less commit to one, until some key pieces are ready.
Not a problem,

Bingo. I’ve assembled quite a few of these types of hoses over the years and they seemed to always be a pain. The stainless sleeved or internal stainless have zero give so huge Pain in the ass. Now it’s a cake walk.

Thinking about getting a crimper for the Eaton style fittings but quite honestly I don’t like those but super common on reservoir shocks.

Sorry if this is a hijack but does this style of hose fittings negate the need for heading down to my local hydraulic hose place for my hoses to be swedged on? Or am I comparing apples and oranges? Hyd hoses are rated for high pressures but the hoses that Joey is working with are for lower pressures so this tool is sufficient.

For you turbo non-believers ;)

I sent my trucks out to SLC and Cdan is driving them home for me. I think he was surprised on low boost (10psi) it is quicker than his TRD SC with 4.88 gears.

1F75FD7F-A342-4C31-9D4E-A2433E825132.png

Sorry if this is a hijack but does this style of hose fittings negate the need for heading down to my local hydraulic hose place for my hoses to be swedged on? Or am I comparing apples and oranges? Hyd hoses are rated for high pressures but the hoses that Joey is working with are for lower pressures so this tool is sufficient.

Pretty much, they can easily be assembled at home with no special tools needed. If you need the hose cut and the particular hose you're using has a stainless braid in it then it helps to have a local speed shop cut them since they'll usually have a way to make a clean cut so the braid doesn't get all jacked up and then you end up poking the s*** out of your fingers when you go to put them together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom