Bolt on turbo kit (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just got a 1996 LX and interested in the turbo kit. For the people that have installed it...how does it run?
Post turbo and part-time kit mine feels like it's a ton lighter. getting on interstates is easy. No longer scared of the passing lane.

Post turbo and part-time kit mine feels like it's a ton lighter. getting on interstates is easy. No longer scared of the passing lane.
I had PT on my Turb80 for a couple months before I bought another 80 more suited for it. While it was PT. it was even faster and loved it.

I really wish I had another 80 that's bone stock with 32/33s that I can take around the block just to see how fast it really is with PT and factory tires. Must be tire-smoking fun.

doesn't *need* one, but could definitely benefit from one. That is just beyond the scope of this kit since there are so many different ways to intercool, so many different accessories that could be in the way, etc. Every truck and individual owner will have a different idea of how they would like it done, so it doesn't really make sense to include it in the kit.

Sorry folks, I’m not on MUD much at all anymore. Forgot to even post here…

Well I didn’t get anywhere near the components that I needed to complete more kits BUT I did get enough pipe work in to get another batch of turbo kits going out. I’m already working on the next batch so it shouldn’t be too long for those to get out of gear as well. If you haven’t been notified of your order it means you aren’t part of THIS group. But I do appreciate everyone’s patience. I’m sloooowly getting caught up.

Please keep in mind I’m working with the hand I’m being dealt. The pipe shop originally told me two weeks. That was back in Nov. Then they moved it to Jan. Well here we are in May and I finally got stuff in. I’m tired of chasing as I’m sure you’re all tired of waiting. But there is movement and I’m taking what I can get where I can get it.

692F50EB-6252-479A-9A3C-CF9BA6DD0E55.jpeg

635E6245-8D18-46CE-B55F-732E18D8A05B.jpeg

D9DFDD40-6E87-4CDB-B1B0-F7D66A85CBD5.jpeg

Because he said he was going to work with SEMA to obtain the smog certificate.

if he’s not going to then he should say so, at this point I feel, as a customer, I’m being ignored.
There is a work around for smog cert. If you have family that lives outside of an Air Quality Management Zone, ask them if you can register your vehicle at their address. Then you avoid bi-annual smog. They need to be reliable enough to send you the stickers when they arrive. Also, you have to be vigilant about when your registration is due, in case they do not tell you they received the notice in the mail. CA is far behind on their computer systems. They do not correlate your driver's license address with the registration address. My 80 is registered in Eureka.

There is a work around for smog cert. If you have family that lives outside of an Air Quality Management Zone, ask them if you can register your vehicle at their address. Then you avoid bi-annual smog. They need to be reliable enough to send you the stickers when they arrive. Also, you have to be vigilant about when your registration is due, in case they do not tell you they received the notice in the mail. CA is far behind on their computer systems. They do not correlate your driver's license address with the registration address. My 80 is registered in Eureka.
I don't think thats the point. There are always "workarounds". When a lot of us bought this, it was under the impression that it was undergoing CARB certification.
Personally, it doesn't affect me (for now) but it could in the future.
I know Joey is busy and has a lot going on, but an update of "its not going to happen" would be better than silence.
Not complaining, but similarly am curious where that stands.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to make THIS thread the only place where I update folks on turbo orders. I just got kicked in the nuts very hard and now I'm getting pissed and again for things beyond my control. I am purposely not going to answer questions asked via email or text or IG or FB. Questions should be asked here where EVERYONE can see them IN THEIR ENTIRETY and I will deal with them here as I get time. There are plenty of folks running these at this point that others can now answer questions that I continually get asked but I just don't have time for. This kit is just ONE part number of over 300 parts that I manufacture now.

If you have not been contacted directly by me, your kit is not ready and I DO NOT have an accurate date of when its ready. Continually hounding me on every form of communication available will NOT change the answer. I turned off pre-ordering on the site a few months months ago. I have just over 20 people hoping to get a spot but I haven't opened up anymore. If you are tired of waiting let me know and I will cancel your order and let one of the other interested parties take over your spot. Once you cancel, a spot will never be opened up for you again.

Why I am all of a sudden turning into an a****** on this? Simple, I was texting with a turbo customer. I was being even more transparent with him than I have been on here. He was very friendly and just liked chatting. All while I helped him, over the phone, try to solve a myriad of his 80 issues. Well he decided to relay a SNIPPET of one of my texts, without ANY of the context supporting it, to another turbo pre-order customer. That customer of course takes that snippet out of context and starts down an emotional tirade that I can't understand because I don't know what he's talking about. He then tells me that he has "inside info" about the status of the kits. Well, umm...NO ONE has inside info but me. He finally details that he got this info from the other turbo customer I have been friendly conversing with. This is where I learn that he was spoon feeding tidbits of our discussions. He was an absolute idiot and later realized he didn't relay the entire story. It was too late. Damage was done because he cancelled the order.

Two turbos shipped out two weeks ago. One kit shipped out on Yesterday. Another one goes out tomorrow and another on Monday. They are going out but NOT quickly and in no planned timing. As stuff arrives I ship. Everyone is shipped out in the order you placed it. Period. Will NEVER change and I WILL NEVER deviate from that. In fact the ONLY time a kit doesn't go out IN ORDER is if the recipient asks me to hold the order. This happens quite a lot. If you have not been contacted by me, its NOT ready. When will it be ready? I don't know. Why don't I know? Because I'm not going to relay bad info anymore. I've been trusting my vendor's timelines and I've been screwed and look like an idiot every single time.

Goal #1 is to get you your order
Goal #2 is to not look at turbo orders again
Goal #3 is to deal with less stress and work at PetSmart cleaning hamster cages

CARB...
I cannot discuss anything that has anything to do with that pile of s*** company I was previously working with. Period.
Until I can locate an aftermarket emissions lab AND CARB starts working with the little guys again, the certification plan is still on hold. Not dead, on hold. Period. I have nothing to add to that.

If you are a current CA resident with a turbo kit installed and you need the turbo permanently removed to smog your truck, I will pay to have it removed and I will refund your kit and sell it at full price on the used market because I have FAR more people that want it than I have plans on making them. Everyone that has been following this thread knows full well the absolute hell I've been going through trying to make this happen. I have done EVERYTHING in my power to make it happen. Not one person can claim otherwise.

In case you are not following me on IG or FB, here is the order that left on Yesterday:
IMG_4447.jpeg

For those that don't understand the stress of getting these kits out, keep in mind that the VAST majority of components that make up the complete kit were paid for a very long time ago. When a refund happens I can't just send those pieces back to the vendor. I have to sit on them. Having paid orders means I have the funds to purchase. Its buying power I won't/don't have without doing pre-orders. A cancellation/refund means I have to pull those funds out of my ass. Its spent on components and machining and other parts and processes. Sometimes I will get a customer that asks for a refund on the same phone call where I'm telling them their kit is shipping and is the address still accurate. Everyone down the line wins because its one less person in the line. But I lose big time. I'm not going to do that anymore. Now its getting shipping and if you need to return it, sell it on MUD classifieds where I 100% guarantee it'll sell within the hour.

This is a snapshot of turbo orders. The black means its a refund. The bottom blue spot if a customer that asked to push out his delivery because he is active duty military and won't be back til Nov. The upper blue is just waiting to ship on Monday because he won't be in town.

ugh.png

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I am not on the turbo list but completely understand your dilemma. We are living in the aftermath of COVID. The economy was screaming before it hit. There is a ton of pent up energy, money, ambition and people wanting out of their homes that is causing a huge demand for practically everything. Add to this, some of the people who were laid off or took COVID leave, still will not go to work so employers can't find people to fill positions. Finally, if you had not noticed, there is a shortage of everything from computer chips to steel to wood!

Joey is the end assembler that must rely on many vendors who has vendors they rely upon, all with the same issues outlined above. I have two examples: I ordered a Hobart 210 MVP welder almost two months ago, it is still on backorder. This is not a specialty unit. The second is on of my buddies who owns a cabinet shop. He ordered a hinge assembly tool over three months ago with no delivery date on the horizon, again not a complicated tool or even large.

Add to all of this, that in many industries, we have never been busier. I own an electrical consultation firm and partner in an electrical engineering firm. There are weeks I am working, and this is not an exaggeration, 120 hours a week. An easy week is 80 hours. I dropped everything over Memorial day weekend to take time off because I needed it. Even before that, we have had our clients screaming at us to deliver projects. I speak with other engineers, architects, firms, contractors and suppliers on a daily basis. EVERYONE is in the same boat.

Joey is dealing with far more than I am and most of the vendors out there. On top of that, he can't rip into is vendors because he can't alienate them. He has to be tactful. Everyone needs to understand that it is not Joey, it is EVERYONE!

Joey, thank you for what you do and the services you provide. They are high quality and you provide a great service to the 80 community, please, keep it up.

My understanding was you had to supply your own cat. When did you add that in?

:rimshot:

My understanding was you had to supply your own cat. When did you add that in?

:rimshot:

Oh, mine looks just like the one shown with the kit. Could I order one without the cat?
20210403_191321.jpg

There is probably enough demand for that kit here in CA I'm willing to bet a MUD member would be willing to take it off the previous owners truck and return it to stock for them as part of the purchase.

There is probably enough demand for that kit here in CA I'm willing to bet a MUD member would be willing to take it off the previous owners truck and return it to stock for them as part of the purchase.
I would bet it would sell for a premium too. Turbo is by far superior to the SC kits!

glad to see your packaging tape is back in stock :hillbilly:

I ordered my Turbo, I waited for my Turbo (1 year), I received my Turbo, I installed my Turbo. Many thanks to Joey, never a bad experience and would do it all over again.
It's always a few that ruin it for the many. I will continue to buy parts and wait if needed from Wits-End.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom