Best Oil Filter for an 83 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What do you guys think is the best oil filter for a 83 FJ40?
I was going to use Shell Rotella T 15W40 in it, I run that in all my tractors and my Dodge Cummins. Is that OK?

I was going to use Shell Rotella T 15W40 in it, I run that in all my tractors and my Dodge Cummins. Is that OK?

Yes the Rotella T is just fine for your 2F. Any full size filter like the Fram PH8A will fit your engine just fine also.

I run the NAPA Gold. Can't remember the exact number but the folks at NAPA should be able to hook you up.

(NEVER use Fram filters.)

Care to explain? Just curious.:cheers:

(NEVER use Fram filters.)

Care to explain? Just curious.:cheers:

There is a lot of good info here:

Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

I really don't think Fram filters are as bad as many say - I wouldn't go so far as to say NEVER use one. The page above will show you that they're definitely cheaper inside, but there is no real data about failure rates or filtration effectiveness other than anecdotal evidence. Just one more thing for people to get excited about. :rolleyes:

Just put any nice new filter on it and it'll be happy.

good filter=cheap insurance. Napa Gold filters used to be made by Wix. One of the best made filters available. I run napa gold on all my vehicles, if you doubt the quality cut on open and see the difference, they have more pleating, are constructed of superior materials and aren;t really that $$$.

I run rotella 15-40 in all my older vehicles as well. It is an excellent oil with more zinc and other additives critical for pushrod and solid lifter cams. Good stuff!!!

There is a lot of good info here:

Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

I really don't think Fram filters are as bad as many say - I wouldn't go so far as to say NEVER use one. The page above will show you that they're definitely cheaper inside, but there is no real data about failure rates or filtration effectiveness other than anecdotal evidence. Just one more thing for people to get excited about. :rolleyes:

Just put any nice new filter on it and it'll be happy.

Very good reading, I always here bad things about Fram also but have run one on my 350 Chevy's for 25 years. I don't use them on anything else though. I try to stick with OEM if I can but I don't think I will use a Mopar on anything the way it look's.

Y'know, Toyota makes an oil filter for that engine...PN 90915-YZZD3.
They're black, so they match my engine block, and say "TOYOTA" right on them.
I hear they work pretty well.

Y'know, Toyota makes an oil filter for that engine...PN 90915-YZZD3.
They're black, so they match my engine block, and say "TOYOTA" right on them.
I hear they work pretty well.

Oh really? I hear you can get a case of them shipped to your door at almost dealer cost. Ask me how I know?:D

Oh really? I hear you can get a case of them shipped to your door at almost dealer cost. Ask me how I know?:D

Are those the big oil filters? I like the small ones...

This one (yes, it's big):
Part Detail

3839_1.gif

15W40 may be hard to start at very low temps. Rotella is good otherwise.

The NAPA Gold is a #1515, I believe.

Napa gold or Wix, same filters my Toyota parts guy runs on his own Toyota's

This one (yes, it's big):
Part Detail

3839_1.gif

15W40 may be hard to start at very low temps. Rotella is good otherwise.

Jim what is the difference between it and the Toyota brand? Cost? I'm always looking to learn something.

Wow. That thing has got to hold at least a quart of oil. What is the average cost. I'm going to have to pick up a couple.

Nice 2f by the way. Did you mod (shorten) the heater return hard line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom