Best method for painting parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

For those that dont know Im doing a complete resto on a white HJ47 ute and Im wanting to paint it either olive green or late model desert tan.

For painting is it best to totally strip the complicated panals like doors and windscreen surround of all their glass ect. or will it work out for me if I just tape them off?

Also how do I remove things like the windscreen and rear window?

Thanks for any advice.

If your doing a a complete resto then taking the doors and parts stripping to bare metal is the way to go. why skimp if your taking it apart anyways.

If you're going to the trouble, use the nuke method. take apart all items and bead or soda blast all at the same time. you'll save money and time in the long run. If you use hydro blasting they can add a sulfuric acid mix to prolong the bare metal from rusting. I have fenders in my garage still unpainted since July.

If you're going to the trouble, use the nuke method. take apart all items and bead or soda blast all at the same time. you'll save money and time in the long run. If you use hydro blasting they can add a sulfuric acid mix to prolong the bare metal from rusting. I have fenders in my garage still unpainted since July.

I you are going to remove the glass, its easy if your going to use new seals. You would just cut the old and the glass falls right out. Its more complicated if you plan to re-use the seals. It is a dance with soap, water, nylon sticks and steady pressure.

Take it completely apart especially since you are changing colors. IMO, no other way to do it right. It really doesnt take that much more effort to take it all apart. Takes tons of pictures as you go.

All the way back to bare metal if you can. If you blast and prime, then you've got a super-clean starting point to get to work. Back to bare.

All good advice, then hang the parts and spray....................

If your base paint is still good with no cracks, peeling or rust, you can sand down to get everything smooth, then shoot a coat of 2 part epoxy primer to seal it all up, then topcoat that. No need to take it to bare metal if the underlying paint is still holding strongly. I have been painting cars for about 45years, so take that for what it's worth. Always take off as much as you can of the body work and paint it individually, and always take the windows out. Use new rubber window gaskets when you reinstall to avoid leaks caused by old brittle gaskets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom