Builds Benjamin’s 3D Prints Build (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Subbed for third row A/C blanks or reroute

Make 2 V2: BTB (Ball-to-ball) Mount
(This is the updated design. I will remove this line once this thread is completed. For now, I am just posting some pictures.)

In the previous design, the face plate was fixed to the factory panel through three thermal inserts and three nylon screws, as shown in the following picture. I was worried about that in very low and high temperatures, thermal inset may have problem providing secure fixture. The portion of the factory panel where the face plate is fixed is very thin, which is another concern.

1586145395725.png

The new design uses a bracket to reinforce the factory panel. The three new fixture point are much stronger. The following screen shot shows the overview of the new design.

1588269396457.png

1588270189047.png

This is the bracket which mounts at the back of the panel.

1588269479325.png

This shows a prototype of the bracket installed on the factory panel. All fasteners are 18-8 stainless steel and will be provided.

Three #4 Flat Head Thread-Forming Screws for Plastic
Two 10-24 Nylon-Insert Locknuts (Black-Oxide)
Two 10-24 Socket Head Screws (Black-Oxide)

IMG_1505.jpg

The design was tested with my scale. It handled 25 lbf like a champ.

IMG_1503.jpg

Last edited:
Ah I misunderstood then. You mean control the Tesla unit (or some function of it) from the rear seat area?
You got it right... I was looking for the one you pointed out.

I don't know if you can control the Tesla unit from there. Maybe extend a USB from the radio.

This is perfect...

2019-11-21_12-44-01.jpg

You got it right... I was looking for the one you pointed out.

I don't know if you can control the Tesla unit from there. Maybe extend a USB from the radio.

This is perfect...

View attachment 2290787
I think I got you. Do you mean you want to extend a USB port from the Tesla style unit and use something like Carplay so the unit can be controlled by the connected smart phone?

Do you mean you have a controller to mount in there?
You have what I had in mind... I was refering to my search words.

I didn't see this because my search was: "rear radio controls"

(This is the updated design. I will remove this line once this thread is completed. For now, I am just posting some pictures.)

In the previous design, the face plate was fixed to the factory panel through three thermal inserts and three nylon screws, as shown in the following picture. I was worried about that in very low and high temperatures, thermal inset may have problem providing secure fixture. The portion of the factory panel where the face plate is fixed is very thin, which is another concern.

1586145395725.png

The new design uses a bracket to reinforce the factory panel. The three new fixture point are much stronger. The following screen shot shows the overview of the new design.

View attachment 2290758
View attachment 2290788

View attachment 2290760

This shows a prototype of the bracket installed on the factory panel. All fasteners are 18-8 stainless steel and will be provided.

View attachment 2290756

View attachment 2290752

1588278278229.png

Make 22: Kenwood TM-D710G Remote Head Mount

1 Overview of the Final Product
1588292098924.png

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

2 Introduction

This is modeled based on a request from @bub64 . It mounts the head unit of TM-D710G.

3 Design and Fabrication

This head unit is huge compared to everything I have ever mounted in the overhead console. For good visibility, the unit is not fully recessed into the mount and a tilt angle is used. It may block the rearview mirror a little bit. Have to comprise sometime. I don't have a radio on my truck but I am seriously considering this model.

The unit has many contours to match. It took about 15 design iterations. The one in the upper left corner is the first prototype. The white one in the right lower corner is the final prototype.

IMG_1549.jpg

4 Purchase List to Complete the Installation

None.

9.5 Purchase Link

$50 + USPS Priority. PM for direct Paypal payment.

Last edited:
Ben, this 710 mount is awesome. I’ve had my radio there for years with some hacks I did a long time ago. I like your visibility angles much better! This is going on my list!

wonder if anyone knows if the 710G and previous 710 heads have the same mount configuration?

710 710G 710GA other 710 series should share same body. There are four holes labeled 3x8 on the back of the unit. Two of them are used.

A35BC75D-CAAA-4D32-B84D-6639AC2D443D.jpeg

Ben, this 710 mount is awesome. I’ve had my radio there for years with some hacks I did a long time ago. I like your visibility angles much better! This is going on my list!

wonder if anyone knows if the 710G and previous 710 heads have the same mount configuration?

1586145395725.png

View attachment 2290758
View attachment 2290788

View attachment 2290760

View attachment 2290756

View attachment 2290752

Holy COW! That is looking AMAZING! Can't wait!

Hi Ben- put me on the list when this is ready (Make 2 V2: BTB (Ball-to-ball) Mount)

I’d love to see an integrated trailer brake controller housing, and a smaller 4 rocket switch panel to replace the homelink in 04-07 lx470s. Hoping to find a trailer brake controller able to fit in the ashtray

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom