Been doing my research and may buy one tomorrow. Help me decide between these 3. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I've been doing my research for a couple months on what vehicle to get next. We have a kid on the way and 2 dogs, about 65-70 lbs each. We would like a third row to secure them properly when driving.

Anyway, after a lot of test drives and research, we tried some GX470s and 4runners, but they were too small. I tried the Sequoia (first gen) and we liked those, but I couldn't ignore the 100. Definitely a little less family friendly, but so much cooler and much more likely to hold value. Full disclosure, I probably won't use capability beyond what the sequoia will do. At least not for the first few years, maybe it can be a toy later on.

So I've test driven a handful of each and pretty sure I know what I want. I found a cool dealer who has 3 great options in stock and I will likely buy one of them today or tomorrow, depending when I can get out there.

Option 1: 2003 LX. 2 owners, 180k miles. Dealer maintenance and timing belt for first 100k. After that, it bounced around between a couple independent shops for the second owner. Still tons of records and just got the second timing belt. Blue vapor over gray. Frame pics look amazing up on the lift. $18k.

Option 2: 2006 Sequoia Limited. 1 owner, 230k miles. Dealer maintenance and timing belt for first 100k. After that, switched to local shops. Still tons of records and had a second timing belt at 200k in 2018. Pearl White over gray. Loaded with options including captains chairs and memory seats, which are huge for us. Frame looks amazing in pictures on lift. $11.5k.

Option 3: 2006 LX. 1 owner, 200k miles. Dealer maintenance it's whole life including timing belts at 100k and 200k. Even had Lexus detail it every other time. Pearl white over tan. Frame looks amazing in pictures on lift. $21.5k.

The 2006 seems like the obvious choice if you don't consider money, or color. Both LX are also from Minnesota, so I really want to check out those frames. Sequoia was in North Carolina, so should be solid. Dealer has an amazing reputation, and has sold many Lexus including tons of LX and GX (mainly 470s). Clearly he has a niche for picking them out.

It's hard to say no to the others though. The sequoia is tough to find like that (options and condition/history). It also has all the capability I need, more space for the family, probably cheaper to maintain, and is many thousands cheaper to buy. That said, the LX is just cool, and will likely have less (or no) depreciation over the 5-10 (or more) years that I have it. So it might not actually cost more I guess.

Also the 03 vs the 06... 03 has better colors (IMO), less miles, still decent history, and is like 5k cheaper. I do think the 06 is pretty much investment material though. I'll read through the 03 vs 06 options again, but the guide is a bit unclear to me about what came out when for Lexus vs Toyotas. I know it will at least have the 5 speed trans, which is necessary for me.

So yeah, thanks for letting me rant. I'd love to hear any and all thoughts and suggestions!

2006 Sequoia Limited no doubt!

If I had to pick it would be sequoia. There's no way those Minnesota vehicles are that clean unless they were prepped for winter and I'd still have my doubts. If either lx were the NC vehicle I'd consider it over the other 2, but they aren't.

Surprised to see the sequoia love. I was expecting some bias, but not 2/2 in favor of passing on the LCs. Ill definitely take a good look at the frames. Like I said, the 06 was dealer maintained by one owner all the way through, and had it detailed every other visit. Seems like they spared no expense to keep it clean, so it might actually be legit, even from MN.

Surprised to see the sequoia love. I was expecting some bias, but not 2/2 in favor of passing on the LCs. Ill definitely take a good look at the frames. Like I said, the 06 was dealer maintained by one owner all the way through, and had it detailed every other visit. Seems like they spared no expense to keep it clean, so it might actually be legit, even from MN.
Lexus LX being the more expensive of the two means odds of it being the garage queen more likely than the sequoia imho

So, I've been doing my research for a couple months on what vehicle to get next. We have a kid on the way and 2 dogs, about 65-70 lbs each. We would like a third row to secure them properly when driving.
Can't help you on the vehicle selection (tough choices) but I'd recommend a 'C section' for Mom, that's going to be a pretty big baby. ;)

Congratulations on both events.

Anyway, after a lot of test drives and research, we tried some GX470s and 4runners, but they were too small. I tried the Sequoia (first gen) and we liked those, but I couldn't ignore the 100. Definitely a little less family friendly, but so much cooler and much more likely to hold value. Full disclosure, I probably won't use capability beyond what the sequoia will do. At least not for the first few years, maybe it can be a toy later on.

So I've test driven a handful of each and pretty sure I know what I want. I found a cool dealer who has 3 great options in stock and I will likely buy one of them today or tomorrow, depending when I can get out there.

Option 1: 2003 LX. 2 owners, 180k miles. Dealer maintenance and timing belt for first 100k. After that, it bounced around between a couple independent shops for the second owner. Still tons of records and just got the second timing belt. Blue vapor over gray. Frame pics look amazing up on the lift. $18k.

Option 2: 2006 Sequoia Limited. 1 owner, 230k miles. Dealer maintenance and timing belt for first 100k. After that, switched to local shops. Still tons of records and had a second timing belt at 200k in 2018. Pearl White over gray. Loaded with options including captains chairs and memory seats, which are huge for us. Frame looks amazing in pictures on lift. $11.5k.

Option 3: 2006 LX. 1 owner, 200k miles. Dealer maintenance it's whole life including timing belts at 100k and 200k. Even had Lexus detail it every other time. Pearl white over tan. Frame looks amazing in pictures on lift. $21.5k.

The 2006 seems like the obvious choice if you don't consider money, or color. Both LX are also from Minnesota, so I really want to check out those frames. Sequoia was in North Carolina, so should be solid. Dealer has an amazing reputation, and has sold many Lexus including tons of LX and GX (mainly 470s). Clearly he has a niche for picking them out.

It's hard to say no to the others though. The sequoia is tough to find like that (options and condition/history). It also has all the capability I need, more space for the family, probably cheaper to maintain, and is many thousands cheaper to buy. That said, the LX is just cool, and will likely have less (or no) depreciation over the 5-10 (or more) years that I have it. So it might not actually cost more I guess.

Also the 03 vs the 06... 03 has better colors (IMO), less miles, still decent history, and is like 5k cheaper. I do think the 06 is pretty much investment material though. I'll read through the 03 vs 06 options again, but the guide is a bit unclear to me about what came out when for Lexus vs Toyotas. I know it will at least have the 5 speed trans, which is necessary for me.

So yeah, thanks for letting me rant. I'd love to hear any and all thoughts and suggestions!
Second GEN Sequoias are a better option in my opinion. Holding their value and just as reliable as all the other options…

Sequoia. Great vehicles and ridiculously easy to work on, cheap parts, no LC markup. And southern vehicle. It gets vvti and the 5 speed and has plenty of room inside.

They will do most things a 100 can.

Just make sure it isn't a hurricane car. Have a shop do a PPI on any of those vehicles before buying.

There is no way those MN vehicles aren't dealing with some degree of rust, regardless of how well they are coated, etc.

Last edited:
Sorry... based on your listed needs... the Sequoia. It's just more family friendly.
I have dogs and did have small kids (teenagers now). Yes my LC worked fine but the third row is cumbersome and it's not as accessible as the larger Sequoia. I only use mine to pull a boat, no offroading. Do have to say the fulltime 4wd and smaller size is perfect for slick boat ramps.

Also the LC is easy to park and fits in my smaller garage fine. Not sure the Sequoia can do that.

We checked out a second gen sequoia. Theyre significantly more expensive and feel much larger/unwieldy to drive. If this group is really pushing the sequoia, I will definitely consider it. Checking them out in an hour or so. I don't "need" my boxster either, the Miata was just fine. But man do I love looking at it and starting it up. Probably right though, I should grab the sequoia, and if I still want to do a more serious off reader in the future, I can look at FJs or another Jeep. I'll report back with my decision, if I come to one.

We checked out a second gen sequoia. Theyre significantly more expensive and feel much larger/unwieldy to drive. If this group is really pushing the sequoia, I will definitely consider it. Checking them out in an hour or so. I don't "need" my boxster either, the Miata was just fine. But man do I love looking at it and starting it up. Probably right though, I should grab the sequoia, and if I still want to do a more serious off reader in the future, I can look at FJs or another Jeep. I'll report back with my decision, if I come to one.
The Sequoia really isn’t much bigger - compared to an LC. It’s a dream to drive. I don’t think they’re significantly more expensive. Especially for the prices and mileage you’re looking at. I wanted a Lexus or a 4-Runner originally. But needed the space and lower mileage. In my research, I found 2Gen Sequoias with less miles for the same price as any Lexus or 4-Runner. FAR less miles in fact. And the value of longevity was appealing. The 1Gen’s are just as good. But, again. They’re showing their age significantly with rust and component failures. If you’ve got a growing family, and pets. You’ll enjoy the extra space for a lot longer. Add one more kid and you’ll be maxed out with anything else. Get a 2Gen and thank yourself for planning long term with a vehicle that’s going to last just as long as the others you’ve mentioned. Maybe even longer.
Annnnd, the after market is growing like hot cakes for these Sequoia’s.

Wait, why am I letting the cat out of the bag with how awesome these are…
Disregard. Buy the 1Gen.

I meant significantly more expensive than the gen1, not significantly more expensive than the 100 series. I saw gen2 sequoias over $20k for like 150k+ miles.

You guys were right, those Minnesota vehicles did not come out unscathed. While the frames were pretty good, and not slathered with paint, you could see rust all around in all the nooks and crannies. Who knows what was covered up.

The north Carolina sequoia on the other hand, had a legitimate rust free underside. One owner, no accidents, good maintenance history, uncommon options (that we actually want and are deal-breaker worthy). Test drive and inspection went pretty good with a couple minor exceptions like a blown speaker and no washer fluid to the rear windshield.

He put it on hold and I have a PPI at a highly rated shop Friday. If all checks out, I think I'm going to move forward at $11.5k. The miles are a bit high, but every other test checks out. Can't find much for that price these days, especially up here where things rust out. Ill make sure to take great care of the underside with yearly treatments, but I'll be doing my research here before deciding on the method.

Fingers crossed

I meant significantly more expensive than the gen1, not significantly more expensive than the 100 series. I saw gen2 sequoias over $20k for like 150k+ miles.

You guys were right, those Minnesota vehicles did not come out unscathed. While the frames were pretty good, and not slathered with paint, you could see rust all around in all the nooks and crannies. Who knows what was covered up.

The north Carolina sequoia on the other hand, had a legitimate rust free underside. One owner, no accidents, good maintenance history, uncommon options (that we actually want and are deal-breaker worthy). Test drive and inspection went pretty good with a couple minor exceptions like a blown speaker and no washer fluid to the rear windshield.

He put it on hold and I have a PPI at a highly rated shop Friday. If all checks out, I think I'm going to move forward at $11.5k. The miles are a bit high, but every other test checks out. Can't find much for that price these days, especially up here where things rust out. Ill make sure to take great care of the underside with yearly treatments, but I'll be doing my research here before deciding on the method.

Fingers crossed
Awesome! Maintenance is key with these ‘Yota’s - you’ll be stoked!!

I couldn't ask for a better combination of history, options, condition, and clean frame in this area. The price may be a bit high, but its also not a ton of money.

2006 Sequoia Limited no doubt!
Full post disclosure..... I am in no way saying a Sequoia is a better vehicle than a 100 series. That was my vote due to perhaps a little more room and you apparently would drive a Sequioa over a hundy.

As I have said before, if a brand new Sequioa, 4Runner and Land Cruiser had the exact same $50k price tag, two of the three would no longer exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom