Cant decide which one 2000 LX or 2006 LC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently own:
2006 LC with 260k miles. Basically stock. Has been in family about 5 years, one of my kids drove for a bit. Needs Basically a full refresh. Ball joints, tie rod ends, suspension. Condition is fair.
Can purchase from ole Dad.
2000 LX with 140k miles. One owner. Always garaged. New Toyota OE suspension (got rid of hydo system). Basically excellent condition for age. New OE steering rack.

Basically 2006 is newer and worn out....or the older better condition one. I am thinking get the 2000.....but i have read about some trans issues with those years.

Any input appreciated.
Thanks

I have two 2000s and really like them. Lots of miles and Zero tranny issues. Have one ‘06 and really like it. But the reasons for liking the ‘06 are not essential to having a fantastic LX.

While $10k is in fact a no brainer for a LX of that mileage and condition, I have a mental hurdle for buying that if it means selling the '06 LC. The '06 gives you VVTI, 5-spd trans, a few cosmetic updates of the interior, these are great to have... For the cost of sales tax, excise tax, and the new plate fee on the '00 you could buy many of the parts needed to get the '06 back into fighting shape. Then call it a weekend of either repairing the '06 or preparing it for sale, that time is a wash depending on how many no-show buyers you experience. The mileage on the '06 is not particularly high or concerning. Are there other things on your to-do list for the '06 besides the suspension/steering refresh?

Could also buy and sell the '00 and use the profits to fix up the '06.
Looks less like a flip since it's a family car.

Either truck you'll throw money at. You're used to more HP and 5 speed, have you driven the 00?

Keep the 06 .. 5 spd is muuuch nicer. Miles are BS.. cara that are low mileage scare me.. been there done that.. 2000 is a trade down even with “low miles”

At first I was going to vote for the 2000. Then I read that its an LX and the 2006 is a LC. I wish my LX were a LC for various reasons including resale value.

As others have said, the 2006...
1. Is a LC
2. Has the 5 speed
3. Has 275 hp instead of 230
4. Has been in the family, you know what it is
5. You'll get a smokin' deal from good old dad

I also enjoy buying vehicles that look rough and need love and transforming them. So I think the 2006 would be an enjoyably project. Out of curiosity, does it have AHC? Also, I'm still confused what you'll pay for the 2006 LC. So I'll assume it's a smokin' deal.

Last edited:
It’s a tough choice but I would keep the LC just because you know what it’s been through and as others have said, 5-spd & HP bump sounds is something I wish I had too.

Personal experience: Bought a 02 LC100 w/ 150k in 2020 for about $14k w/ no maintenance log. Had to spend $4k right off the bat for maintenance. Not fun finding out problems on your own.

It's simple, if you have the time... time to repair and restore, then choose the 2006.

If you don't have time, prefer to do something else and just want use it... you choose the 2001.

First, Some great feedback there...thank you.
Second...for clarification...
1. I do currently own the 2006 LC., so it wont cost anything. Tennessee car so no rust. It is silver with some minor body damage on the passenger rear quarter, i thing k my son back/ side swipe a mailbox. Might be fixable with PDR, but worse case 1 to 1.5k if a body shop were to fix. Been in my family probably 5 years.
2. 2006 LC beside the front end and suspension refresh, it needs the drivers seat recovered and one of the rear passenger seats recovered....if i recall correctly, i got a quote of around $800.
3. Also needs new CVs, one is torn. And it has a lot of driveline slack.

Regarding the LX
1. Yes, I have driven it but on a very limited basis. Was originally a TN car and has been in Hawaii the last 15 years. Parents car, they are moving back here and were going to sell it. I do now recall that, yes, it did feel less "powerful" (if that is a word to be used with LC100s lol).
2. It has been meticulously maintained by pops..(he's a car guy 100%).
3. No rust and as good condition as one could expect at that age. Its a driver, but they have been mostly retired the entire time they owned it. They bought it new.

End goal.
1. Just a nice mid level solid build. That I could use as a Daily. I currently have a 2020 4r TRD pro, 33s, bumper, winch etc that I use for camping and my "good" car.
2. For the LC or LX i am thinking just a decent suspension. AT 33's...maybe a bumper and winch.
3. A good daily driver.
4. The 4r is a good car, but even this 2006 LC is more comfy to drive the 13 miles to work with out the drone of mud tires.

I do have time, skill set, tools and garage to do the work myself.
I dont have to sell the LC to get the LX...so based on everyone's feedback, I guess I will just get the LX and go from there.

and keep both for now. I suppose I will always get the money out of the LC if I do the work and decide to sell later.

If you can swing it to have both simultaneously in addition to the 4Runner then great, especially if you prefer driving the LC over the 4R. Try dailying the '00 for a month and see if you like the feel of a lower mileage truck or if you miss your '06. Then when you want or need to sell one you will have the experience to make the choice. Like you said, you can easily get your money back out of either 100-series.

Food for thought, the '06 LC would be a good candidate for the bumper and winch and if it already has some lumps you can take it off road without worries, then the LX can be the low mileage creampuff that you daily and looks professional. The 4R sounds practical and has the TRD goodies, but if you prefer driving the LC despite it being 14yrs older then so be it!

If you have the means, I'd get both and then drive and go from there. Agreed that you'll likely like the power and trans of the 06 better but a clean LX at a good price is hard to pass up. I'm sure you'll find uses for it :) as stated, could build the LC, daily the LX and sell the 4R...

Keep the 2006 LC. If you don't, you will always compare the "new" 100 series to it, wishing you had kept it instead. Don't discount the sentimentality factor. You know the history of the 2006. And you have history with it. You can't put a price on that. Speaking from experience...

After owning my LC, my 4th gen 4Rs felt like a step down even with more power. Sold mine quick, wife still DDs hers.

Personally I’d sell the mint one and keep the 06, I prefer to buy not pristine paint cars. I enjoy the feeling of not worrying about hearing those rocks/road debris putting the first nick in the paint and parking without fear of the yo-yos driving around. Take the profits and drop it back in the 06. Or sell the t4r and have (2) older trucks, I’d argue they’re nicer than 5th gen’s too.

Kind of a shame he ripped the AHC out in a non rust environment, it’s a really comfy and good selling point for DDs.

Both trucks will require something.

Keep the 06. The transmission alone is worth the upgrade. And if the 00 LX already has the AHC removed, then so too is the only reason to pick the 00LX over the 06 LC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom