Battery options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Two Polar Battery group 27s (one with reverse (+) terminal. Nothing fancy, though I am planning on putting a 3rd deep cycle agm battery in the back connected via a DC-DC+MPPT controller.

I ended having the local dealer order a new OEM "True Start" battery. So far, it's substantially better than my old one. I don't have any major power needs, but the cold was getting to my old one. It's a 5 year battery, and backed by a free replacement warranty, so that gave me peace of mind!

Enersys Odyssey extreme 1700.
Had 2 of these in the 80 for 8 years now and still going strong.

odysey.jpg

I ended having the local dealer order a new OEM "True Start" battery. So far, it's substantially better than my old one. I don't have any major power needs, but the cold was getting to my old one. It's a 5 year battery, and backed by a free replacement warranty, so that gave me peace of mind!

it’s just a re stickered interstate. Same exact one they sell at Costco.:doh:

Two Polar Battery group 27s (one with reverse (+) terminal. Nothing fancy, though I am planning on putting a 3rd deep cycle agm battery in the back connected via a DC-DC+MPPT controller.

I have been toying with replacing one of my under hood battery's with a capacitor bank, then putting a lithium on a DC-DC in the back.

I just checked with a highly placed contact at Northstar that I met when I completely killed a Northstar battery. According to him it is business as usual and they are NOT going away.

As a refresher I pulled my 27F Northstar down to less than 2 Vdc by leaving the ignition switch on by mistake for several days. Recharged the battery at 8a and it completely recovered. I believe that was two years ago and it is still as strong as when it was new. Proof in the pudding.. starting effortlessly everyday when we were at zero degrees for a week.

The other side of my battery draining project was Northstar was going to ship me a new battery free of charge if it didn’t recover from my stupid error. They may be a tad expensive but dang the batteries are great as well as the company!

Last edited:
Around here we have a joint called Fleet Farm that stocks Interstate batteries under a similar sounding deal to Costco. They give you an extra year of warranty on them vs the regular Interstate battery and it was cheaper than what the Interstate store was selling.

3 harsh winters in and no complaints thus far. I would buy another.

I have been toying with replacing one of my under hood battery's with a capacitor bank, then putting a lithium on a DC-DC in the back.

I looked at the Lithium option, but stopped when I saw the cost. LOL

Been rocking interstates from Costco for years and I have never been stranded. Just replaced my interstate from 2013 with another one from Costco. The key is to keep it maintained if your rig sits. Mine gets a trickle while it sits, sometimes for weeks at a time. I'd also rather use the $100 I saved from buying some "high end" battery on fuel or other goodies.

Optima is crap since they were bought by johnson controls, interstate batt's from costco are the ticket......

I run 2 of the largest deep cycle rv batt's from costco in my 80, they perform great, you have to trim them a bit to get them to fit, and it is a tight fit, but the capacity is great with the two rv deeps...
What model interstate are you running? I also prepare for my first 2 battery set up I prefer interstate batteries from Costco.

I'll be adding solar and an mppt controller to the mix eventually, I'm tempted to just put in 2 basic lead acid interest Costco 24f

Thanks

What model interstate are you running? I also prepare for my first 2 battery set up I prefer interstate batteries from Costco.

I'll be adding solar and an mppt controller to the mix eventually, I'm tempted to just put in 2 basic lead acid interest Costco 24f

Thanks
From the sounds of it @1973Guppie might be running a 31 series battery in his LC, I assume this because he mentioned that the battery box had to be trimmed.

If you are looking for a deep cycle 31 the SRM-31 is a great option, it is a dual post battery (Marine and Automotive).

It doesn't have the cranking power as say a MTZ-34R has (1000 CA), (675) for the SRM-31. The reserve capacity on the 31 is 240 where the MTZ-34R is 146.

I have a hard time believing that the Costco battery is any less quality than the regular Interstate. Back when Costco sold Kirkland brand Optima batteries I bought them there. Most lasted 5 years or more. The one that didn't make it past year 4, I returned to Costco and they gave me a brand new one, no questions asked. I'd buy the Interstate Costco brand for my toy hauler but they don't have the sizes I need.
I tried returning my Interstate Battery in May of this year...under 4.5 years and listed in the computer as a 5 year warranty...they (costco) wouldn't honor it. I was really surprised.

I tried returning my Interstate Battery in May of this year...under 4.5 years and listed in the computer as a 5 year warranty...they (costco) wouldn't honor it. I was really surprised.
They use to give you a battery with out any questions but I believe the only pro-rate the warranty now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom