Barn find FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going off John’s point, axles generally don’t get stripped unless or until something’s gone south with the motor.
Or, perhaps someone needed an axle, any old axle, and maybe springs, for a trailer they're building...

axles generally don’t get stripped unless or until something’s gone south with the motor.

The one I pulled out of a wrecking yard that was missing rear axle the engine wasn't complete. But the engine was not what I was interested in. The body on this early FJ40 other than the rear sill is what I was after. This has the cleanest unmolested floor I had ever seen in a early cruiser. Just like that early 40 condition of the body would be my main concern. Have plenty of running gear laying around. Same with bolt on 40 series body parts. Condition of the tub itself is what I look for. Well I use to look for before I realized I'm old and have more cruisers than I will ever around too.

ts. Condition of the tub itself is what I look for. Well I use to look for before I realized I'm old and have more cruisers than I will ever around too.
Corollary of a quote from the philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer:

Buying books would be a good thing if one could also buy the time to read them​

Corollary of a quote from the philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer:

Buying books would be a good thing if one could also buy the time to read them​

Not sure where this one is from

Want to give God a laugh tell him your plans.

When I told my wife she needed to figure something to do in retirement other than reading books. Never figured that something would take up most my time as well. Could always use more space but it's time I really lack.

Last edited:
OK. Advice was spot on. Mr. Algazy you were right. Motor is seized. Pighead no rust in hinges, gutters, fenders floor pans. My pic of VIN tag did not come out it was on inner fender, no glass except windshield. Green Bean you are right. No title but executor was there and was fine with selling it and proceeds going to estate. Executor has large moving equipment and can load it on a trailer and bring down from mountain ( it is at 8,000 ft. and road is very steep and full of tight curves). Need to do research on how to get duplicate title? Very nice people. I am welcome to come back any time like to take more pics. They did not ask for any money but I gave them a very small deposit to hold it for me.

IMG_0070[1].JPG

IMG_0071[2].JPG

IMG_0069[1].JPG

OK. Advice was spot on. Mr. Algazy you were right. Motor is seized. Pighead no rust in hinges, gutters, fenders floor pans. My pic of VIN tag did not come out it was on inner fender, no glass except windshield. Green Bean you are right. No title but executor was there and was fine with selling it and proceeds going to estate. Executor has large moving equipment and can load it on a trailer and bring down from mountain ( it is at 8,000 ft. and road is very steep and full of tight curves). Need to do research on how to get duplicate title? Very nice people. I am welcome to come back any time like to take more pics. They did not ask for any money but I gave them a very small deposit to hold it for me.

View attachment 2828586

View attachment 2828590

View attachment 2828606
Can I be so rude as to ask what number you guys settled on?

The truth is we do not have a solid number. Deposit is contingent upon being able to have documents to prove legal right to sell. We have a range agreed upon depending on cost to get documents. This is all pretty nebulous at this time. I will share what that range is later depending on what direction I go with this if I even end up getting it.

View attachment 2828586

View attachment 2828590

View attachment 2828606
I bought a '65 scout with no paperwork. The seller used a CA DMV agent (someone who does registrations for vehicles as a contractor for the state, not a CA DMV employee) and he had me a title in 4 weeks. As long at it hasn't been in the system for a long time (this looks to be the case) I don't think you'll have an issue getting a new CA title. I paid $1250 for the Scout and he covered the costs to title it, so it couldn't have been too expensive!!!

Good luck, this one looks like it will be worth the effort!

Thanks EWheeler I was very much hoping some one with experience with this would chime in. And to answer others -- the smashed glass - no emblems - is the result of vandalism. Other vehicles and the Cabin itself were vandalized too. Or at least that was tale i was told.

Another option for the title is to register the vehicle in Vermont. Vermont does not have titles for vehicles over 25 years old (or some age like that). I have a 60 with Vermont registration that I plan to get titled in Virginia once I get around to it.

Another option for the title is to register the vehicle in Vermont. Vermont does not have titles for vehicles over 25 years old (or some age like that). I have a 60 with Vermont registration that I plan to get titled in Virginia once I get around to it.
@swamp-thing

View attachment 2828586

View attachment 2828590

View attachment 2828606

Looks like someone has drilled out the spot welds holding the roof on at some point.

In 20 years I’ve never hesitated purchasing a vehicle without a title as long as I got a bill of sale.

@thorslc1977 check to see if your state has a version or this:
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles - https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#abandoned.asp I’ve used this process numerous times in the past.

@bkfj40 ☝🏻Use this next time and you won’t have to mess around with a Vermont title.
I tried to use the abandoned paperwork, however I ran into an endless loop as I couldn’t get the previous owners information from Texas dmv since I wasn’t a dealer and Virginia wouldn’t let me
Go the abandoned route as I couldn’t send a letter since Texas wouldn’t give me the previous owners address.

I would love to know how to get out of that cycle @Unimogguy As an aside, I had to do a title workaround on a baby unimog years ago as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom