Auxillary Electric fan in front of radi as air pusher while crawling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That does look pretty good. Barely noticeable behind the grill, and it seems a bigger diameter than I was expecting (covers most of the radiator).
What's the CFM on that one?

1300 CFM at 7.5 amps - not bad for so thin - best I could find for that matter given the width constraint. sounds like an airplane when I just run it without the rig runing.

Just a follow-up to report that after about 2 weeks of daily use now, I cannot see a difference in engine temps due to having the fan in front of the radi. So, it appears that the concern about blocking air flow over the radi and thus, increasing my temp when the fan is not in use is not an issue at this time. This has been true in driving and sitting/idaling scenarios as well. This 'might' change in the summer (though we have had several summer days here in SoCal since I installed this), but I would think it would rear its head as an issue and raise temps now as much as then if airflow blocking was an issue.

after a few months I will report back about it's usefulness in actually controlling temps when crawling when there is no air flow over the radi. It has not just been hot enough out and I have not had a chance yet to go true crawling in the desert, just fun wheelin local.

FWIW, in just doing local tests, I have turned the fan on and watched it drop as much as 12 degrees in temp. So, I think that should carry forward while slow crawling in hot summer deserts... which is why I did this in the first place.

stay tuned.

Your experience is mirroring mine. I went with a e-bay fan, and not "BE COOL". Same here, on the highway, no change in temps. Offroad was the same as well. This even after I had to pinch off 3 vanes, because I maounte the cheap ass fan way to close to the rad, and it wore into it. :mad:

wantatlc said:
I do not want to go through the cost or effort involved to move to a taurus puller and will stick with a manual pusher for crawling QUOTE]

How did your setup compare to the cost and effort of the Taurus fan? I can't see where they could be that different, excpet that yours had another fan before and some residual mods accomadated your installation.

well IIRC:

Finding a Taurus fan
+ determing correct Taurus fan to get (seemed like a lot of models to select from when I went searching)
+ having room to actually place the fan as I am not knowledgeable enough about correct engine & radi placement and if I could pull it off and if my open distance was going to be narrow/wide enough if I did try it
+ unsure of possible fab issues that may arise (move radi mount, etc.) to mount the Taurus once I got started and then what will that effect down the line that needs addressing (longer hoses, etc.)
+ my total fan/part costs $$$ were much cheaper in total as compred to what I read others spending
+ my limited skills to install such a project and the required effort/knowledge/tools to remove the clutch fan I have if I went that route seemd questionable
+ I understood that a mechanical clutch fan will pull a bit better than electric like the Taurus so wanted to leave mine
+ what to do with an always running electrical fan IF get into water crossing situation
+ I just wanted an 'auxillary' fan to supplement my mecanical fan
---------------
= for me in the end, easier and less effort and actual $$ cost and I knew I could pull this mod off given my ability level, tools and budget. so, I just called it as I saw it for me personally and went this direction based on all the posts I read.

Last edited:
I did a similair mod with an ebay fan. Dropped my crawl temps back to 190-200. Make sure you run it through a relay system so you get full power at the fan. I was able to keep my emblem as well:cool:

I think you can buy the same fan sold under the SPAL name cheaper than through BE-Cool. SPAL makes a number of different electric fans and recently they have come out with a "controller".

Well, it ain't a Land cruiser, but I have a 71 Chevy pickup with a 454 with a huge-by-large 4-core radiator and two large pusher fans.

Yet, I was still running excessive temps, and worse, experiencing severe fuel perculation at the carb.

The issue was that the pusher fans just could not push enough air through the radiator, regardless of their advertised airflow. Oh, I'm sure they could flow a lot when unrestricted, but they simply couldn't shove it through this radiator.

So, I installed the biggest diameter flex fan I could fit in, as close as was prudent to the radiator.

What a huge difference. The temp dropped drastically. And the fuel perculation stopped completely.

Not only wasn't there enough airflow through the radiator to keep it cool at slow speeds and in heavy traffic, but the hot air just wasn't being circulated out of the engine compartment. So the engine compartment became overheated. You could really tell the difference if you put your hand in front of the carb before and after the flex fan.

OK, that's the longwinded history. Which brings me to my point. My flex fan is now my main fan. The two electric pusher fans are still wired in. They don't turn on until temps hit 180 degrees, and they don't come on unless I'm idle for long periods or am in slow traffic. (You can clearly hear them running.) Temps will either stop rising on a very hot day, or will actually drop on a cooler day, when they kick in.

So, I'd have to say the concept is sound. But the space requirement is a problem. And as someone pointed out above, which is better, a bigger, thicker radiator, or an auxilliary pusher fan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom