Auxillary Electric fan in front of radi as air pusher while crawling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DSRTDR,

yeah, the V8 'is' the issue - at crawling speeds. I have done my research, unless a new option comes out, you are right that it is the motor portion of the fan that is the issue - even on 'low profile' Flex-A-Lite auxillary fans, the lowest profile I have seen. the motor sticks out to far and into the grill I want to preserve.

Flipping though my new JEG's catalog, I just happened upon a 2.05 inch slim 16'' fan (Page 64-H) which, incidentally, looks a lot like mine ;)

wow... now I am going to have to look into that. I do not get that catalog, is there a part # so I can see it on the web maybe? thanks!

hey.. is it the "Be Cool Thin Line European Electric Fans"?

I need to talk with Be Cool as there seems to be some contradictory info out there about the width on these fans. I see JEGs list them as 2.05", but Summit lists then as 3.00" - and the Be Cool website does not say (odd). will call them and report back. if it is 2.05", I am going to try it as it is pretty inexpensive.

Last edited:
burnttoastburgos said:
Show us a pic of your shroud!!!!!!!!!

you can see it here.

shroud.jpg

from the research I have done, the shroud has been done right.... and seems on par with what it should be... me thinks this is no issue. remember, the issue is at crawling with no air over the radi.

Last edited:
I put a slim pusher on mine. With the "mesh" in the factory locatiion it would not fit. I cut a section of the mesh out and tack welded it to the Bezel. A word of caution on the electric fans. you will need a little space between the fan and the radiator, just incase the fan isn't 100% balanced. Mine wore holes in a couple vanes on my radiator.

My experience with pusher fans were that they didn't move near the amount of air that a puller did. If it were me, I would do the taurus electric setup....no mounting issues and it should cool that baby down. Back in my mustang days I had real trouble keeping my 351 Cleveland cool and the pusher fans were a joke...I don't remember the theory behind it, but the pushers couldn't cool as good IIRC. Good luck...I always hated the fear that came with a creeping temp. gage.

"Compared to engine-driven fans, electric fans offer the benefits of reducing engine drag and allow the fan to typically be installed in several locations. Electric fans installed in front of the radiator are called pusher fans, and behind the radiator are puller fans. Pusher fans typically impede airflow by blocking portions of the radiator's core, as opposed to a puller fan, which pulls air through the radiator and is generally about 15 percent more efficient. So if space allows, it is usually better to install the fan on the engine side of the radiator to operate as a puller, where it can draw more airflow. "

I copied this from a cooling article HERE
Good Luck!:popcorn:

Full_Throttle -- agreed, all the literature shows that a pusher can move about 10% or so less air than a puller. BUT again, since it is only a crawling issue, I do not want to go through the cost or effort involved to move to a taurus puller and will stick with a manual pusher for crawling (assuming I can find a ow profile one without wrecking mt grill).

I just went out and measured the pusher fan thats on my '95 4 Runner. It measuers out 11" diameter ( with a couple of mounting tabs ) by 2" deep. This mounts in the lowwer left side of radiator. I don't know if this was on some trucks with a towing package ( mine has an oil cooler and hitch also ). Might check it out. Al

green73 said:
I put a slim pusher on mine. With the "mesh" in the factory locatiion it would not fit. I cut a section of the mesh out and tack welded it to the Bezel. A word of caution on the electric fans. you will need a little space between the fan and the radiator, just incase the fan isn't 100% balanced. Mine wore holes in a couple vanes on my radiator.

yeah, I have come up with a few scenarios where it would be possible to cut a piece of the grill out (with the emblem intacted) and rig it more forward into the bezel area and, to the eye it looks intacted... but I want to exhaust the hunt for a super thin fan.

thanks for the spacer tip. a few fans I have looked at specficially mention they are 'balanced", but that is good to keep in mind.

Alz Toy said:
I just went out and measured the pusher fan thats on my '95 4 Runner. It measuers out 11" diameter ( with a couple of mounting tabs ) by 2" deep. This mounts in the lowwer left side of radiator. I don't know if this was on some trucks with a towing package ( mine has an oil cooler and hitch also ). Might check it out. Al

you know, you raise an issue we have not talked about, and that is using an auxillary pusher that is SMALLER than your radi. I have always assumed, in this scenario, that the goal would be to have a full size fan (like 16" in my case) and not a smaller pusher. I HAVE found thin 2" fans that are like 7-10", but that seems odd logic to me to put a 7-10" pusher on a 16" radi?? heck, where would you mount it for maximum effect (a corner, top, bottom, center)?

BUT, I am open to being corrected on this logic.

okay... just got off the phone with Be Cool. They confirmed that this Thin Line Fan IS infact a mere 2.05" thin - plus they faxed me the data sheet which confirms 2.05"x16.3". So, I am going to give it a try (with a 40 amp relay and toggle switch).

I will report back what I find. PM me if you want me to email you the data spec sheet as it is not on their site for some reason.

Last edited:
Maybe a larger radiator would be the way to go... the LC radiator was not designed to cool V8 motors, are you running a V8? Cruiser radiators were designed for the straight six cylinder. I just installed a 29" x 19" x 3" aluminim crossflow radiator which has a much larger capacity than the stock cruiser radiator. It seems MOST people who run the stock LC radiators can never get them to work properly with V8s even with different fans, shrouds, etc.....

A pusher fan will limit airflow on the freeway, which might cause a different cooling problem that the one you are having.

Good luck.

wantatlc said:
you know, you raise an issue we have not talked about, and that is using an auxillary pusher that is SMALLER than your radi. I have always assumed, in this scenario, that the goal would be to have a full size fan (like 16" in my case) and not a smaller pusher. I HAVE found thin 2" fans that are like 7-10", but that seems odd logic to me to put a 7-10" pusher on a 16" radi?? heck, where would you mount it for maximum effect (a corner, top, bottom, center)?

BUT, I am open to being corrected on this logic.
Possibly by mounting it in the lowwer left ( looking at the front ) where the hose attaches from the water pump, this is the hottest part of the radiator? I don't know either, just kind'a what I guessed. Al

so, that Be Cool super thin auxillary fan arrived today from Jegs. Damn, thing is hella thin just as they claim. I will take photos and post up the process of wiring it up and installing in. I think it will be a clean, auxillary setup. tough part will be mounting it correctly. I would like to try to pull it off without draining/removing the radi... but that might not happen as it might just be to tight. but as it is, quick eyeballing and space testing shows I can pretty much drop it down past the grill and be inbetween the grill and radi WITHOUT altering the mesh grill or emblem setup at all right out of the box.

I am thinking the path of least resistance on this will be to fold down the front bib on its hinge and access it all that way.

fan1.jpg

fan2.jpg

fan3.jpg

Last edited:
Okay - STEP 1 was a success. Thank God for the fold down front bib. Unbolted the bib to get access and in 1 hour, I had the fan mounted up. Pictures forth coming. Tomorrow I wire it up and power it on.

The brackets that came with the fan were awesome. Easy to cut, bend, and place in the existing areas. AND, the PO had a fan (but took it out) so there was a cross beam at the top (complete with half moon cutout in perfect middle) for me too rest the fan in and add additional mount to.

I was able to mount it up, and close up the bib and bolt it alll down and I still have 1/8 of inch between the bolt on the back of the emblem (the piece that sticks out the farthest) and the fan. the unit seems pretty solid with the brackets and setup I used. and, it is about a perfect 1 inch from the radi and equal all the way around.

it looks awesome and you can barely see it through the grill. no grill, emblem modification at all!!!!!

next, wire up (40 AMp relay and toggle in dash) and fire up and post a bunch of install photos.

can someone help me with wiring. I am having trouble.

I have a black and blue wiring coming from the fan.

I have a toggle switch that has 3 posts: POWER ACC GROUND

I have a relay that has 87, 86, 30, 85 posts

I have it as follows:

87 to blue wire on fan
86 & 30 both go to inline fuse and on to postive on battery post (+)
85 to POWER post on toggle
black wire off fan goes to ground
GROUND on toggle goes to ground
ACC on toggle goes to ground

with this setup, I can turn the fan on and off BUT the red light on the end of the toggle to indicate power when in the cab does not come on. But, if I disconnect the ACC on the toggle post from ground, the light will come on and off as I actuate the toggle, but the fan ceases to come on and off. this tells me I have it wired wrong and I am not sure what I have messed.

Called Be Cool - they were 100% clueless how to use any other relay than their 50& wiring kit!!!

Last edited:
I tried this and it seemed to work, but not sure if it is correct but the fan comes on and light on toggle comes on as though all is well and operates correct.

30 goes thru inline fuse - then to battery power (+)
87 - fan power (blue wire)
86 - ground
85 - ACC switch on toggle
POWER on toggle goes to a power source (like fuse box)
GROUND on toggle goes to ground
black ground on fan goes to ground

can anyone confirm the setup is correct?

Last edited:
hope the photos are helpful. in the end, wiring was the biggest pain (cause wiring is always tough for me). everything else went easy.

As I use it I will report back what I find (and I hope it does not end up as "My Worst Mod" ever). I will report if it runs hotter with the fan in place blocking the air flow over the radi. I will report how it actually works to cool the engine while crawling.

fan_install1.jpg

fan_install2.jpg

fan_install3.jpg

fan_install4.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom