Auxiliary Fan Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Phil,

Just ordered one of these for my rig, it is a pieces right now so I may as well take advantage of it. May not have it done now until after summer :frown:

Have you ever hooked one of these up, with a kit like this?

Temp controlled and A/C override.

Have you ever hooked one of these up, with a kit like this?

Temp controlled and A/C override.

Tons of options available I only offer the simple reliable DIY plug-and-play set up.

Did some real time testing of my Landcruisephil auxiliary Fan on the Rubicon this last week. In the same basic conditions same trail, I usually have to turn the AC on and off and keep a good eye on the temp gauge.
With the LCP fan running I was able to keep the AC on and maintain 185 to 195 degrees temps. I also ran with the fan off and the truck was running right around 200 -202 degrees. if I turn the fan on it would drop the temps down 4 to 6 degrees within a minute or two.
All the testing was done doing low speed rock crawling.
The truck did get to 210 degrees while climbing Cadillac hill with the fan on before I turned the AC off. For those not familiar, Cadillac hill is a long, very steep, relentless and technical rock crawling hill. And it scared the sh*t out of my passenger.
Side note If I started with the fan on I was able to maintain a lower temp. If I waited to turn the fan on it would help but not bring it down as much as when I started with the fan.
In short I am happy with the way the fan keep temps in check

Last edited:
What size fan is used for these? I think I have a few old ones in boxes from ATV etc,
Thanks
Dave

What size fan is used for these? I think I have a few old ones in boxes from ATV etc,
Thanks
Dave
11” - from post #120

As we prepare for our 80 series 2019 Aux Fan season I will attempt to address a common question I get, How does compare to the JDM?

•••IMPORTANT•••

Adding an auxiliary fan will help your cooling system while sitting in traffic or low speed wheeling. It will also help keep your A/C blowing cold in the same conditions. We tested several OEM fans from various manufacturers and choose a stock 100 series fan. We found that other aftermarket fans do not move much air and are typically smashed up against the condenser with a plastic zip ties that can cause damage. The 100 series A/C system (prior to 2004) is one of the best. The fan seems to move as much air as the costly JDM (~$300) and is quieter. As for size, some of the larger after market fans seem to block air flow more than help. The main reason our fan is mounted low to provide as much natural air as possible and increase the flow where it is block currently. When mounted, the fan or bracket does not touch the condenser. We have tested and run this exact set up for a few years and found it very solid without any issues.

If your Land Cruiser is overheating
, THIS FAN OR ANY FAN WILL NOT HELP.

Flow was measured using an Anemometer ft/min

Test Vehicles #1 #2
~200k mileage ~200k mileage
Original radiator Replace radiator
LCP Depo Fan OEM JDM Fan
Flow measured against radiator
opposite fan looking for max flow 413 442

Flow measured on the outside of
the fan grill 932 1144

Size 11" 11"

Blades 11 curved 4 straight

Measurement from radiator to
back of fan 2.5" 3.25"

Sound - JDM is 3-4 times louder

The JDM looks to have a slight flow advantage over the LCP Depo set up. At over 3x the cost the final decision is yours.

I bought this kit for my ‘94 and have plans to install it tomorrow. I’ve reviewed all pages of this thread multiple times, and I think I’m missing something.

Like many, my 80 came with a security system, which included an indicator light that occupied the space of one dash panel blank to the left of the steering wheel.
Unless I’m missing something, there are no blanks left that will work with the supplied on/off switch that are left of the steering wheel.

Have other 93-94 owners installed this kit, and, if so, what did you do?

Not only for the fan but also some other switches power needs does anyone know what fuse is best to tap into for the ignition hot connection for the relays?
thanks
Dave

Not only for the fan but also some other switches power needs does anyone know what fuse is best to tap into for the ignition hot connection for the relays?
thanks
Dave
Phil’s directions suggest tapping into the “Wiper” fuse with an Add-a-Fuse.

thanks
Dave
I tapped the same fuse as post #5.

I ditched the alarm long ago and put the switch there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom