Aussie Locker Install Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings Mudsters,

I'm currently installing an Aussie Locker in the rear differential of my cruiser. I've run into a bit of a problem with the clearances between the cross pin and the adjacent washers. This is the 1st clearance check prior to installing the rest of the locker components. I'm not getting the recommended .006" - .020" of clearance. It looks to be more like .002". A .004" feeler can be forced in. Not sure if anyone has run into this issue before. most of the aussie install posts i've seen seem to have been a bit more straight forward.

Any ideas on easy tricks to try so i can do to get within spec? Wire wheel the coating off, file the washer surfaces, remove all grease, etc.? Or, should i continue on with the assembly and let the final gap measurement decide? If not, i guess i'm looking at thinner thrust washers.

and no, i dont want to hear about your spartan or paartrax locker, i already got my aussie sticker on the back window :flipoff2:

20130916_222908.jpg

Rotate the assembly a few times and remeasure. I remember things being very tight and I spun the input and the clearances improved.
And if your photo shows your finished work, you screwed up royally.

Last edited:
Yes, thinner thrust washers. Either buy new thinner ones or sand the ones you have down by .005.

Greetings Mudsters,

I'm currently installing an Aussie Locker in the rear differential of my cruiser. I've run into a bit of a problem with the clearances between the cross pin and the adjacent washers. This is the 1st clearance check prior to installing the rest of the locker components. I'm not getting the recommended .006" - .020" of clearance. It looks to be more like .002". A .004" feeler can be forced in. Not sure if anyone has run into this issue before. most of the aussie install posts i've seen seem to have been a bit more straight forward.

Any ideas on easy tricks to try so i can do to get within spec? Wire wheel the coating off, file the washer surfaces, remove all grease, etc.? Or, should i continue on with the assembly and let the final gap measurement decide? If not, i guess i'm looking at thinner thrust washers.

and no, i dont want to hear about your spartan or paartrax locker, i already got my aussie sticker on the back window :flipoff2:

PM sent. Contact us at the phone numbers and email address on the PM if you still have problems with your installation.

thanks all for the responses. i tore it back down tonight and tried removing all the grease, swapping sides with the washers, spacers, etc. and reassembling. it's still pretty tight on both sides. my thrust washers measure 0.075" so i must have the 1.9mm thickness thrust washers. if i go to the next size down (1.75mm i believe) i think that'll do me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom