August Hurricane Creek Trip - August 25-27, 2017 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To avoid this becoming the story thread, I agree that being ready is crucial. That black truck of mine decided to split a hose on the highway on the road to HC and for the next couple of hours I was a massive headache to the group. Managed to convince everyone to leave me there though as to not screw everyone's fun. (By the way this was really tough to do. Everyone was insistent on the 'no man left behind' motto)

AAA roadside assistance would have been a nice thing to have. Long distance towing isn't cheap.

I have AAA Platinum RV coverage now.

Last edited:
Our 40 is quite reliable in the running aspect. And the brakes are brand new all the way around I just hadn't issues bleeding them. Before the trip I am going to take the the 40 on some trial runs. It'll go 55-60 if it's flat no problem, but as of now it really hates hills, 4.11s and 35s probably doesn't help that. I guess I need to set the timing or clean the carb.

Guys, I am going to have to drop. I had that Friday off, but I have been transferred and now my schedule has changed. If it comes to that weekend and I can join up later on that Friday (would be 7-8pm-ish) I might be able to do that. But I will free up my spot and see what it looks like closer to that weekend. :(

The current list

1. John Casale @GLTHFJ60
2. James Urquhart - @jamesurq
3. Alex Eyssen - @fj40alex
4. Jonathan Jones - @lumbee1
5. John Reeves - @jrmudder84
6. Rafael Osuna - @Roxx
7. Sean Thompson - @SeanLX
7. Dave Rushing - @roadstr6
9. James Moyers - @LockedNLoaded
8. Dirk S - @sleepycruiser

Wait list:
Eric Forrest - @forrest5000
Andrew Hadjipatru - @AndrewHadji

Johnny, your name is still on the current list for trip even though you stated you had a conflict and wouldn't be able to make it. Have your plans changed?

With so many open spots, a wait list really isn't necessary unless those drivers are on the fence on whether they could make it or not due to other commitments. Even so, their names should be included in the list until we get a firm go/no-go from them.

1. James Urquhart - @jamesurq
2. Alex Eyssen - @fj40alex
3. Jonathan Jones - @lumbee1
4. John Reeves - @jrmudder84
5. Rafael Osuna - @Roxx
6. Dave Rushing - @roadstr6
7. Andrew Hadjipatru - @AndrewHadji

No, I haven't. My apologies, list updated (again).

I didn't move Andrew from the "Wait list" to the "committed" list because he hasn't said he's in yet. Last I knew he was still waiting on a radiator for his truck.

Of course... no problem! I can absolutely transport your 18 pack of Spotted Cow. Steve will be sure and give me that 12 pack of SPotted Cow so I can make sure you get all 6 of them.

I'll get you the two beers for Josh this week. can't make it tonight to dinner

@lumbee1 I was wondering why I am not included on the current list. I thought I had a spot. And just a PSA, our 40 is in tip top shape now. The brakes are as good as new and the steering has barely any play. And what turned out to be an easy fix on the accelerator pump, we now can make it up hills. So we should have no issues making it on the journey.

@lumbee1 I was wondering why I am not included on the current list. I thought I had a spot. And just a PSA, our 40 is in tip top shape now. The brakes are as good as new and the steering has barely any play. And what turned out to be an easy fix on the accelerator pump, we now can make it up hills. So we should have no issues making it on the journey.

You aren't on the list because you posted interest, then started asking if your brakes would be OK in the mountains. Have you decided that the truck is safe to drive up there, and back?

This is not the kind of trip to test a newly built, or newly running, truck on.

If you're confident you'll be able to make the trip without mechanical issue, I'll put you on the list.

I am going to daily drive the 40 for the next two weeks and make some trips to Uwharrie. I won't commit to a spot because I don't want to take someone's spot but if there is still an available spot in two weeks I will be able to confidently say yes or no.

I am going to daily drive the 40 for the next two weeks and make some trips to Uwharrie. I won't commit to a spot because I don't want to take someone's spot but if there is still an available spot in two weeks I will be able to confidently say yes or no.

Seeing as there are a bunch of open spots, I'll just put you on it. Just make sure to keep us updated here on the thread with how the daily driving goes!

Absolutely, it survived it first day of DD today without any issues whatsoever. And I am headed to Uwharrie this Sunday after church to get a first off-road test down.

We have a Uwharrie work day planned for August 19th. You could meet up with others in the morning, help on the workday, and cruiser Uwharrie the rest of the day to verify everything is working correctly.

@lumbee1 Im gonna hit the easy trails this Sunday and I'll go to that workday, last time I went to a workday though I was the only one who showed up so I wasn't sure if many people usually went or not.

So as of now it's not looking promising for our 40 to make it on the trip. We took it to Uwharrie today and uncovered multiple issues. There is minimal to no overheating issues on the road, but once we got into the forest and we're going slow(not even on the trails) we had severe overheating issues. Our master cylinder also developed a leak. So I am doing a complete cooling system rebuild starting tomorrow, with a focus on flushing our block with muriatic acid because I know there's a blockage in the rear of the block. If I can complete the cooling system stuff and replace the master cylinder in time to run down to Uwharrie on the 19th for the workday, and it does so without issue, then we are a go for the trip. But it hinges on that time frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom