Builds Atnolan94 Land Crooser Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like these progress pics. Right at about 8 months of ownership, crazy how far it has come.

BB6B6A8E-4372-4FEF-AFE0-58D35E63F326.JPG

I'm approaching 5 months and have done squat. Slowly getting to do more now that I've gotten a raise at work though... Still don't think I'll be able to do HIH this year. If it or I were closer, maybe. But I can't see myself prepping the way I want or need by July, driving out west (2,300 miles one way give or take), putting it through it's paces on trails, and getting back sound. So I'll shoot for 2020 and keep it local for now :)

Looks fun. Where's your lease?

Just North of Hamilton, TX. We leave Hico headed south on 281, and its just a few miles past on a county road.

Been a minute since an update! Biggest change since last update is I got a Dobinsons rear bumper. I bought it off @Peabody since he decided to jump to a 4x4 labs bumper. overall, you get what you pay for and the quality of this bumper is good. The powdercoat is good, all the mechanisms work well, and it gets the job done. I smacked it hard 2-3 times at the deer lease and no issue. i'm excited to really wheels with it.

View attachment 1830172

Shortly after the bumper, I found a used set of BORA spacers here on mud for a good deal. These spacers are actually 1.75" front and 1.5" rear, which is really significant. The front spacers have the "teeth" in them to allow for the hub studs, however these spacers are so wide they would easily clear the hubs with out these special notches.

View attachment 1830173

My fan clutch started sticking and it killed my mileage and drivability. $75 on an Aisin clutch and we are back in action. Not a hard install at all with a super helpful 1A Auto video and some patience. I was getting 225 miles a tank with the clutch stuck, and now I'm back up to my typical 300-315 miles. While I was in the engine bay, I went ahead and replaced my fuel filter due to some sluggish starts and it made a noticeable difference, however it still has been sluggish on a few tries. its a fuel issue since the truck is cranking fine, so a new fuel pump may be in order. For now it is working and time will tell.

View attachment 1830174

So far this winter the truck has been a deer lease vehicle, including some innovative ways to get the deep back to camp! We have gottena ton of rain this fall and the entire property is a mud pit. Aired down, this truck will literally go anywhere we take our polaris rangers. I could not be any happier with this truck right now!

View attachment 1830175

View attachment 1830176

That is awesome! I'm glad to see you're getting good use out of it! And that it hauls a deer so well! I wish I would've thought to bring you some tow points. I ended up with an extra pair.

I'm approaching 5 months and have done squat. Slowly getting to do more now that I've gotten a raise at work though... Still don't think I'll be able to do HIH this year. If it or I were closer, maybe. But I can't see myself prepping the way I want or need by July, driving out west (2,300 miles one way give or take), putting it through it's paces on trails, and getting back sound. So I'll shoot for 2020 and keep it local for now :)
Think you can make it out there for 2022? That's what I'm shooting for currently. Getting a truck, and building it before 2021, and then breaking it all in over the next year. Your in NE right? Yankee toys fall gathering is a TON of fun! You should definitely drop by some time

Think you can make it out there for 2022? That's what I'm shooting for currently. Getting a truck, and building it before 2021, and then breaking it all in over the next year. Your in NE right? Yankee toys fall gathering is a TON of fun! You should definitely drop by some time

For sure I should be able to by then. And yeah I'm in MA. Had planned on going to this years gathering but had too much going on and didn't feel the truck was in a solid state to take off pavement yet. Next year will be different. Got a whole lot planned, just gotta make it happen.

For sure I should be able to by then. And yeah I'm in MA. Had planned on going to this years gathering but had too much going on and didn't feel the truck was in a solid state to take off pavement yet. Next year will be different. Got a whole lot planned, just gotta make it happen.
Next years going to be the 20th anniversary of Yankee Toys and Gotham so it will be a perfect time to go to a fall gathering. I'm hopefully taking my 100 (and wheeling it a bit since id have my learners permit by then :)).

So I got rear ended on Friday afternoon in Dallas just as I was heading to the Deer Lease. Got hit by an older ram 1500 after a dump truck decided to pull into my lane after he was dead stopped on the shoulder. I was able to avoid hitting the dump truck but got rear ended. This bumper took almost no damage at all. I am so impressed. my Jerry can holder got slightly bent. I was ok and so was the other driver. all-in-all could have been much worse. I don't have any pics because, well, there wasn't anything to take pics of...just a slight bend in my Jerry can holder. It's hardly even noticeable. Great work Dobinsons, for a bumper that doesn't get much love around here, i am pretty happy about it!

@David Otero Can you shoot me a message? Seems like the number on Dobinsons Direct isn't connected. I will need to see if you can get me a new Jerry can holder and cost on it. Thanks!

Big upgrade!! My wife and mom got me a nice gift card to MetalTech 4x4. I decided to use it to get a set of 4 Ironman Foam Cell Pro shocks. All I can say is wow! The truck is so planted, so smooth, and they just soak up everything. My original OEM shocks had worn bushings and were certainly ready for replacement.

To replace them I cut the top studs on the original shocks with a sawzall, I wasn't about to mess with unbolting 250k mile shocks. I started with some crappy sawzall blades, but once upgrading to some really nice blades, they zipped right off.

People are aware of the gripes with OME shocks, and people are also aware of the merits of the Tough Dog shocks, but I am beyond impressed with the Ironmans. These things are HUGE. Check out the pics.

IMG_9542.jpg

IMG_9544.jpg

IMG_9543.jpg

IMG_9550.jpg

Had a few minutes this afternoon after helping a friend swap brakes on a 2015 Tahoe, so I decided to throw on my 1” coil spacers. I haven’t been super happy with the ride height since I threw the bumper on, but still love the ride of the 866 coils. This will work for now. I can always head up to an 863 or 864 if the time comes. I’ve gotten this coil swap down to a science, I can do it in about 45 minutes now.

D0D64FD8-86E7-4709-A254-CA2EFB1744E0.jpeg

3D1D1E18-B09F-46AD-B7B0-0170386BBD26.jpeg

Another really productive weekend on the crooser. I finally got my Ironman torsion bars installed and indexed. I now am at ~22" front hub to fender and 23" rear hub to fender. I wanted to fill all this wheel well space so I got a set of 315/75r16 Cooper STT Pro's. I did the pinch weld mod and they fit pretty well. I currently have 1.75" spacers on the front which are definitely too wide, so I purchased a set of 1.25" spidertrax from @Nicholas Hanke since he is doing his SAS and converting to 6 lug. This should give me plenty of room. FWIW I have no rub lock to lock as it sits. There will be some contact at full compression with the top of the fender arch.

Drove the truck all the way to Waco and back, about an hour and a half per direction, with no issues to speak of. I sold my 285 BFG's to @davegonz so we met in the middle. Nice to meet you David! I absolutely had to stop at the the Czech Stop on the way home for some kolaches. If you don't know about this place...you need to!

If anyone wants to buy my BORA 1.75" front/1.5" rear spacers feel free to reach out. I bought them from @motobri who bough them from @chudly . No issues with them. They did not rub with my 285s and really improved that sucked in look the 100 has.

And finally...Pics!! This thing looks like a beast, and I think the performance will back it up once I get it on some dirt.

IMG_9664.jpg

IMG_9663.jpg

IMG_9670.jpg

IMG_9676.jpg

Thanks Andrew! It was good meeting you, too. Yes, I've been to the Czech Stop! Good stuff!

Man you’ve been putting in work ;)

Looks like it’s time to update my build...

Man you’ve been putting in work ;)

Looks like it’s time to update my build...

Come a long way since baseline day in your parents garage in Oklahoma City! Would have never guessed I would have gotten this far with it, especially in 10 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom