ASFIR Skid plates and front bumper (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've decided that I really do not care for the oil filter access on this front skid. First, it leaves the filter pretty exposed from the side, even moreso than just the factory piece of tin. It's not far fetched to consider a stick could get in there pretty easily. Break off an oil filter on a trail and you're gonna have a bad day.

Additionally, actually doing an oil change is a messy s*** show unless you've got an extra piece of hardware like a form-a-funnel handy to direct oil away from the skid. The result without this is the oil coating basically all of the skid from above as there's nowhere for the oil to drain out, no holes. I ended up getting a piece of Tupperware to hold/drain the filter and catch the remaining oil from the oil filter housing. Not ideal at all and still presents the chance of tipping the Tupperware when removing it. With my fumoto valve, oil changes on my truck were extremely simple and tidy. This is no longer the case and that doesn't need to be the case.

And to echo what someone else has mentioned before: the cross member for the transfer case skid is going to present plenty of opportunity to hang up on a rock. Every other option I've found (Slee, Dissent BIO) has a full-frame-width panel here.

I have changed my "B" grade to a "C". Should have bitten the bullet and spent the little extra for another set.
Two comments /questions:
1) shouldn’t the Fumoto valve still make it easy to drain the actual oil pan? Just reach your hand in the access hole, put a hose on the valve, put the other end in the oil disposal can, open valve, let oil drain
2) a friend with Slee skids uses a Hal funnel with a hose attached then slides the half funnel under the metal factory drip director To capture the oil when unscrewing the oil filter.

Two comments /questions:
1) shouldn’t the Fumoto valve still make it easy to drain the actual oil pan? Just reach your hand in the access hole, put a hose on the valve, put the other end in the oil disposal can, open valve, let oil drain
2) a friend with Slee skids uses a Hal funnel with a hose attached then slides the half funnel under the metal factory drip director To capture the oil when unscrewing the oil filter.

You're correct. I should clarify: the combination of the Fumoto valve and the easy draining using the original tin made for a tidy service. Now with the side access, it's an altogether not-tidy service.

I'll check out the Hal. Thank you.

You're correct. I should clarify: the combination of the Fumoto valve and the easy draining using the original tin made for a tidy service. Now with the side access, it's an altogether not-tidy service.

I'll check out the Hal. Thank you.
Typo should have written => half funnel

Typo should have written => half funnel

Haha!

I'm over here looking for some special red Hal9000 brand funnel that talks to me with an obvious dose of apathy.

"You're still going to make a mess, G.A."

Last edited:
Great thread...anyone happen to know turn around time for a front skid plate to the Eastcoast is. I tired reaching out to the company earlier this week and no response as of yet. Thanks !

I just cut the bottom and one side off of an empty water bottle. Shove that under the oil filter, pull off the water bottle cap and remove filter. Oil drains through mouth of water bottle and into pan.

And yeah, C from me too.

I just cut the bottom and one side off of an empty water bottle. Shove that under the oil filter, pull off the water bottle cap and remove filter. Oil drains through mouth of water bottle and into pan.

And yeah, C from me too.

I do about the same - split a water bottle and take off the bottom and neck. Perfect little disposable trough ~ was doing this before having this skid in place.

These skid plates are just right for me so far:
Lightweight
Aluminum w galvanized brackets
Value, less than $900 for all three -delivered-
Delivered inside two weeks -from Israel-
Great coverage for the front half, IMO
Great customer service / communication
Held my truck up on some beach ball-sized rocks no problem (where there were skids)

Have every intention of buying a gas tank skid from them, and a couple other items suggested, as soon as they offer them.

Granted I am in the NE and my truck is a DD first and foremost.

Got the skids installed along with wko sliders. Had to space out the middle skid support harness over the slider ubolt. My only question/concern besides my poor choice of spacer would be is the mounting plate only purpose to hold the mid and rear skid together? There is no mounting hole at this location in the cross member if you were just installing a mid skid.

20201016_184623.jpg

20201016_184549.jpg

Got the skids installed along with wko sliders. Had to space out the middle skid support harness over the slider ubolt. My only question/concern besides my poor choice of spacer would be is the mounting plate only purpose to hold the mid and rear skid together? There is no mounting hole at this location in the cross member if you were just installing a mid skid.

View attachment 2467453

View attachment 2467454

The little rectangular plate with the threaded center is meant to go inside of that cross member. Consider it an alternative to drilling and install a threaded nut in that place.

Also, I beleve your transfer case skid should sit above the seam on the center skid, so the lip isn't so prominent. As you have it now, if you were dragging something along the bottom, forward to rear, it will catch that lip you've got. You may also want to find a wider/more solid spacer option, I'd feel a little leery of those nuts being so small and not holding very well.

See below. Note that in this picture, I had that rectangular plate in the wrong spot myself, which is the reason the seam between the two skids is not completely flat. I have corrected this by inserting the plate into the cross member (it just fits perfectly in one of the bigger round holes, then line the threaded section with the bolt.

20201013_160831_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
The little rectangular plate with the threaded center is meant to go inside of that cross member. Consider it an alternative to drilling and install a threaded nut in that place.

Also, I beleve your transfer case skid should sit above the seam on the center skid, so the lip isn't so prominent. As you have it now, if you were dragging something along the bottom, forward to rear, it will catch that lip you've got. You may also want to find a wider/more solid spacer option, I'd feel a little leery of those nuts being so small and not holding very well.

See below. Note that in this picture, I had that rectangular plate in the wrong spot myself, which is the reason the seam between the two skids is not completely flat. I have corrected this by inserting the plate into the cross member (it just fits perfectly in one of the bigger round holes, then line the threaded section with the bolt.

View attachment 2467748
That makes more sense for sure it was getting late and was dark so I just wanted to get bolted up. I am getting new spacers just didn't know the gap size and will reposistion the plate. What size spacers did you end up with over your ubolts?

That makes more sense for sure it was getting late and was dark so I just wanted to get bolted up. I am getting new spacers just didn't know the gap size and will reposistion the plate. What size spacers did you end up with over your ubolts?

I don't know the exact dimensions, whatever comes in @TRAIL TAILOR 's diff drop kit.

20200930_184537_HDR.jpg

View attachment 2467453

View attachment 2467454
Love the spacer! I’ve heard that called hillbilly engineering! Ha!

For the front skid center spacer replacement. I got one off a more substantial one off ebay: 2" diameter aluminum spacer | eBay
It's aluminum with 2" diameter and 3" height (if I recall) worked for me with my Trail Tailor different drop.
1606253786477.png

My skid bolted in place without spacers when I did the diff drop 🤭

Good to know. I'm about to install mine on a Trail-Tailor drop diff kit very soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom