Are any of you daily driving their 80-Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kabanstva

SILVER Star
Threads
How many people are daily driving their 80-Series?

Was curious if all you guys have other vehicles that are easier on gas, smaller, etc. for daily commute to work and shopping and what not? Are these "toy/project" vehicles for most people on here or do some use them on a daily basis? Are OEM parts affordable/still being made for the most part or is a bunch of it discontinued (like Toyota recently did with the beloved MKIV Supra)?

I am looking to pick up an everyday truck and wanted advice how realistic it is with an 80.

Daily, and commuting

Yes. Everyday. I also have a 94 Toyota pickup, but I prefer the auto trans for a commuter. Distance isn't far, so mileage is not really a factor.

Drive mine every single day. Always get where I'm going, and in Maine that is saying something! I CAN get there from here!

Most folks don't need the capability the 80 offers and never use them to their full potential. There are many 80's out there with differential locks that have never been used. But I work in Emergency Services and the worse the weather gets the more I need to be at work. So my rig gets really put to the test several times a year. And she has always come through no matter how bad the traveling is.

The 80 redefines the term 'impassable', diluting it to 'difficult', 'slippery', or merely 'slow going'. So for me the extra maintenance and poor mileage is worth every penny and now I wouldn't drive anything else. Gonna get another 80 if this one ever gets totalled. It is more work and more expense to drive, but it is totally worth it for me.

So I guess the bottom line is: is it worth it for you?

Last edited:
There are a lot of opinions on daily driving an 80 but basically if:
A- you don't drive too many miles/don't mind paying a lot for gas,
B- you do most of the work on the truck yourself, and
C- you can live without the latest gizmos, heated heated seats, etc.
then its a great daily driver.

The 80 has so much character/its so fun to drive/its just a really cool vehicle that I always find myself picking up the keys to the 80 over pretty much anything else.

I DD my 80 and wouldn't have it any other way.

nope...Prius. Guess that's why I still haven't cracked 125K miles on the 80.

I do.

It accelerates like a brick.
Handles like a brick.
Stops like hauling a load of bricks.
I checked the mpg's once after I got it years ago. Never looked since...

I love driving it. Whatever little need for speed I had is long since gone. It actually handles decent, not bad. About as good as a lifted land cruiser can handle...

I haul tools, gear and dogs just about every day, every trip I make. Best vehicle I have ever had at hauling all this plus the kids when needed. I love driving retro vehicles and ones with a high fun/cool factor. These have that.

I always have someone riding on my @$$.

Last edited:
Yeppers. DD Every day. Echo what most are saying above. Not the fastest in the stable, but it will get you there and back.

Sold my others and daily my 80... Its an acquired taste for some, but hard to think of driving anything else.. I will take the wife's 570 sometimes on evenings when I'm running the kids around, but it's just not the 80...

Cheers,

John

I'm alternating at the moment only because I'm trying to modify mine.

Reactions: RFB
I rotate between my 01' audi s4 and the 80. My daily commute is about 30miles round trip so it's not bad. Fill up between the both is negligible since the Audi takes 93 octane and I always go to Costco for fuel as it's the lowest price in town. Maintenance costs are higher on the Audi for the random electrical things that break. The 80 is predicable.

I drive my 1994 Camry 30 miles each way plus an extra 1-2 hrs stopped in traffic each day. I wouldn't want to subject my Cruiser to that punishment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom